PDA

View Full Version : House passes $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill to fund government

CaseyJones
01-15-2014, 04:58 PM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/house-ready-ok-government-wide-11t-budget

WASHINGTON (AP) — A $1.1 trillion spending bill for operating the government until just before next fall's election steamed through the battle-weary House on Wednesday over tepid protests from tea party conservatives, driven by a bipartisan desire to restore painful cuts in domestic and defense programs and show disaffected voters that Congress can do its job.

The bill swept through the House on a 359-67 vote and was on track for a big Senate vote by week's end. Republicans voted for the bill by a 2 1/2-1 margin, and just three Democrats were opposed.

The measure funds virtually every agency of government and contains compromises on almost every one of its 1,582 pages. It covers the one-third of government spending subject to annual decisions by Congress and the White House, programs that have absorbed the brunt of budget cuts racked up since Republicans reclaimed control of the House three years ago.

Excluded are the giant benefit programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and food stamps that run on autopilot and are increasingly driving the government deeper into debt.

FSP-Rebel
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Is there a roll call available for this one yet?

Feeding the Abscess
01-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Republican anarchists strike again.

T.hill
01-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Ted Yoho voted yes

TaftFan
01-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Ted Yoho voted yes

I get the feeling he is being blackmailed because he made birther comments. That is my theory on his sudden slide.

Feeding the Abscess
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
I get the feeling he is being blackmailed because he made birther comments. That is my theory on his sudden slide.

Or he was lying to get elected, and now that he has a nice salary and awesome benefits, he doesn't care to put up a facade anymore.

Kotin
01-15-2014, 09:38 PM
And where in the hell is that trillion coming from??

But I kid..

Occam's Banana
01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
[...] driven by a bipartisan desire to restore painful cuts in domestic and defense programs [...]

Oh, the humanity!!

http://img.pandawhale.com/33377-Hindenburg-gif-YlLj.gif

HOLLYWOOD
01-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Washington DC is full of...

Radical Spenders

Extremist Debtors

Economic Terrorists

Peace&Freedom
01-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Don't you just adore the rampant editorializing in the AP's "news piece." Not one clause goes by without a loaded phrase: "...steamed through the battle-weary House" (isn't it their job to battle, especially on spending bills?)..."over tepid protests from tea party conservatives" (we've tamed those pesky devils at last)..."driven by a bipartisan desire" (is AP supposed to comment on their declared motives?)...

"...to restore painful cuts in domestic and defense programs" (mere slowdowns in the rate of increase are painful?) "and show disaffected voters that Congress can do its job" (what if voters show in '14, as they actually did in '10 in '12, that they are not disaffected, and want more tea party conservatives in office, not less, to challenge the endless tax, spend and borrow syndrome in Congress?).

qh4dotcom
01-16-2014, 08:04 AM

What birther comments?

Occam's Banana
01-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Don't you just adore the rampant editorializing in the AP's "news piece." Not one clause goes by without a loaded phrase: "...steamed through the battle-weary House" (isn't it their job to battle, especially on spending bills?)..."over tepid protests from tea party conservatives" (we've tamed those pesky devils at last)..."driven by a bipartisan desire" (is AP supposed to comment on their declared motives?)...

"...to restore painful cuts in domestic and defense programs" (mere slowdowns in the rate of increase are painful?) "and show disaffected voters that Congress can do its job" (what if voters show in '14, as they actually did in '10 in '12, that they are not disaffected, and want more tea party conservatives in office, not less, to challenge the endless tax, spend and borrow syndrome in Congress?).

And that's just the first paragraph ...

AP = Ass-kissing Propagandists

oyarde
01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Is there a roll call available for this one yet?

I read last night , Dems all voted yes .

belian78
01-16-2014, 10:25 AM
What birther comments?
Insignificant things said so long ago hardly any of us remember, but it's apparently what Taftfan is going to be blaming Ted's 'amazing change in stances' on. No, the guy is a slimy weasel, always has been and always will be.

Carson
01-20-2014, 10:54 PM
The thought of having to go another year with the government spending more than it takes in really steams me.

Not only will I have to endure another year of inflation, I will also have to put up with these people coming up with more ideas on how I should be doing things, all financed on a counterfeited dollar. On top of that many of their new ideas on how to fix things that already work with ways that don't will have to be payed for with our own diminishing wages.

My first... all my other drafts of the above had way more #$@&%*! adjectives .