PDA

View Full Version : Will college students be in school during early Jan.

LastoftheMohicans
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Will college students be in school during early January? NH and IA happen early in January and students in those states won't be there to vote for Ron Paul.

brumans
11-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I go back Jan. 12th

jp5065
11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I went to school in Iowa last year and our break was from the second week in Dec to the second week in Jan

dircha
11-29-2007, 07:56 PM
That's a very good point.

This should be a real concern.

We need the under 30 crowd to come through for us in record numbers.

JMann
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I mentioned that earlier that they scheduled the Iowa primary before the students get back and all Paul students best get their rears back to Iowa early but I'm sure the dorms won't be open.

ross11988
11-29-2007, 08:08 PM
This is a good thing IMO the screwballs that want to vote for Gulliani wont be in state unless they want to go through all that work to do an absentee balllot, which they wont. I go back to school Jan 14th!

Brendan Wenzel
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
If they support Ron Paul they will vote no matter if school is in or not. I am a student and voting absentee ballot so I can copy my ballot and have a record of my vote for Ron Paul.

JMann
11-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking it is a good think to because Paul supporters will go back but the Iowa students will have to go back very early to caucus.

saahmed
11-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Iowa caucus occurs while school is out, so we will be losing a lot of student votes. Iowa State University just did a poll of over 2000 students and Ron Paul came out on top for Republicans. The campaign should provide a bus for students who want to come back to caucus from Chicago since that is where most out-of-staters to the U of Iowa come from. I'm sure people would be willing to host them for one night.

dircha
11-29-2007, 08:12 PM
This is a good thing IMO the screwballs that want to vote for Gulliani wont be in state unless they want to go through all that work to do an absentee balllot, which they wont. I go back to school Jan 14th!

I don't understand how this is good for Ron Paul.

I believe he receives a larger percentage of his support from people under 30 than from any other candidate.

The most effective way to organize the college vote is on campus.

dircha
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Iowa caucus occurs while school is out, so we will be losing a lot of student votes. Iowa State University just did a poll of over 2000 students and Ron Paul came out on top for Republicans. The campaign should provide a bus for students who want to come back to caucus from Chicago since that is where most out-of-staters to the U of Iowa come from. I'm sure people would be willing to host them for one night.

It seems that the least we need to do is for the campus Ron Paul campaign organizer (hopefully we have one?) to get phone numbers of those supporters and get in touch with them the day before to get them to turn out, and to arrange car pooling for those who are going home to the same precincts?

This is a real bummer.

jufreese
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I am in college and I wont care if I have a final exam the day of the primaries, I will tell my teacher how important this is to me, and a teacher at a college of all people should understand.