PDA

View Full Version : Insights after Attending the CNN/YouTube Debate in St. Pete

Maria
11-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I attended the CNN/YouTube Debate and saw first hand how strongly opposed the GOP is to Ron Paul winning the Republican nomination. From the onset, there were very few Ron Paul supporters in the theater and when we voiced our support loudly (cheering & clapping) it made everyone around us VERY uncomfortable. It is clear to me that those who control the GOP want nothing to do with Ron Paul and especially do not want his message of limited goverment and protection of liberty to spread further (why do you think he was asked so few questions).

We must remain positive despite the obvious slant against Paul in the debate. I, for one, was completely blown away (and so were many others) with the overwhelming support for Ron Paul through out the debate events. There were Ron Paul signs from miles away before entering into St. Pete. People were chanting on the streets. Three planes were flown over the area with Ron Paul for President 2008. People decorated their boats and cars with Ron Paul regalia. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing or seeing something about Ron Paul. I'd never seen anything like it!

Also, the post rally debate was a huge success! There were hundreds of people gathered on a Wednesday night to hear the good doctor speak and the level of excitement was unlike anything I've ever experienced. No other candidate will ever be able to match this grassroots effort.

Right now the GOP is scrambling to find a candidate they can sell to the American people (other than RP). They tried with McCain and Giuliani and were unsuccessful. Then they tried Romney and now they've resorted to none other than...HUCKABEE.

All we're going to hear about now on CNN/FOX is how Huckabee is gaining momentum, then he's a frontrunner... blah, blah, blah. We MUST NOT let this get to us. We need to stay positive and focus on our goals. Right now our goal is to raise as much money as possible on Dec. 16 and to win our delegates for the RNC! We must also help the meetup groups in Iowa & NH with whatever they need...whether it's making calls or sending out letters. We must continue to spread the word!

Ron Paul has SO much support that the media will have no choice but to pay attention to him. So PLEASE, let's not get caught up in the Media's propaganda to sell candidates to the American people. The American people have already chosen their candidate and it's up to us to win him the nomination and ultimately the presidential election!

LET"S STAY POSITIVE AND FOCUSED - WE WILL WIN THIS!

http://i16.tinypic.com/86sn904.jpg http://i12.tinypic.com/730jckn.jpg

RonPaulFTFW
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
well said and thank you.

ProfNo
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I attended the CNN/YouTube Debate and saw first hand how strongly opposed the GOP is to Ron Paul winning the Republican nomination. From the onset, there were very few Ron Paul supporters in the theater and when we voiced our support loudly (cheering & clapping) it made everyone around us VERY uncomfortable. It is clear to me that those who control the GOP want nothing to do with Ron Paul and especially do not want his message of limited goverment and protection of liberty to spread further (why do you think he was asked so few questions).

We must remain positive despite the obvious slant against Paul in the debate. I, for one, was completely blown away (and so were many others) with the overwhelming support for Ron Paul through out the debate events. There were Ron Paul signs from miles away before entering into St. Pete. People were chanting on the streets. Three planes were flown over the area with Ron Paul for President 2008. People decorated their boats and cars with Ron Paul regalia. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing or seeing something about Ron Paul. I'd never seen anything like it!

Also, the post rally debate was a huge success! There were hundreds of people gathered on a Wednesday night to hear the good doctor speak and the level of excitement was unlike anything I've ever experienced. No other candidate will ever be able to match this grassroots effort.

Right now the GOP is scrambling to find a candidate they can sell to the American people (other than RP). They tried with McCain and Giuliani and were unsuccessful. Then they tried Romney and now they've resorted to none other than...HUCKABEE.

All we're going to hear about now on CNN/FOX is how Huckabee is gaining momentum, then he's a frontrunner... blah, blah, blah. We MUST NOT let this get to us. We need to stay positive and focus on our goals. Right now our goal is to raise as much money as possible on Dec. 16 and to win our delegates for the RNC! We must also help the meetup groups in Iowa & NH with whatever they need...whether it's making calls or sending out letters. We must continue to spread the word!

Ron Paul has SO much support that the media will have no choice but to pay attention to him. So PLEASE, let's not get caught up in the Media's propaganda to sell candidates to the American people. The American people have already chosen their candidate and it's up to us to win him the nomination and ultimately the presidential election!

AMAZING post, and right on. We have to fight for this...it will not be handed to us. But did we expect everyone in power just to give that power back to the people?

To me, it is incredibly rewarding to see the movement springing up around Ron Paul. I thought, for the longest time, the I was the only one who believed in personal liberty and limited government. I guess I was wrong.

Broadlighter
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the report Maria. I was getting very angry watching it on TV. It's great to have this inside look. Not all you see is what it appears to be in TV Land.

Maria
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
AMAZING post, and right on. We have to fight for this...it will not be handed to us. But did we expect everyone in power just to give that power back to the people?

To me, it is incredibly rewarding to see the movement springing up around Ron Paul. I thought, for the longest time, the I was the only one who believed in personal liberty and limited government. I guess I was wrong.

Exactly... imagine how Ron Paul must have felt! I love it when he says we cured his skepticism. :)

Make sure you check out his Post Debate video if you haven't already

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8883580934370237347&hl=en

MsDoodahs
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Thank you, Maria!

Ron is on fire and the GOP powers that be are totally freaked out by it.

This is the beginning of the fight stage and we MUST realize that they have no qualms about fighting as dirty as they can.

Don't get mad. Get even. WIN.

billjarrett
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
All we're going to hear about now on CNN/FOX is how Huckabee is gaining momentum, then he's a frontrunner...

Actually, I was just watching Hannity and Colmes a few minutes ago, and they had (lol) Frank Luntz on there saying the obvious winners of the debates were Romney and Thompson. He even had a (one more lol) "focus group" to support his claim.

Maria
11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Thank you, Maria!

Ron is on fire and the GOP powers that be are totally freaked out by it.

This is the beginning of the fight stage and we MUST realize that they have no qualms about fighting as dirty as they can.

Don't get mad. Get even. WIN.

Right on!

jacmicwag
11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the inside report Maria - Excellent.

As for help in Iowa - a small group of us are e-mailing college students in Iowa. We've already sent out over 10,000 but really need to step it up during December. Very encouraging results so far as the first school we hit (ISU) is showing Paul in the lead as per the latest poll. Shoot me a private message if you want to get involved. Thanks to Badger Paul who tonight just took on 800 names at ISU!

voisine
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
The GOP is anyone registered to vote as a Republican. The GOP wants Ron Paul, they just didn't know it until all of us re-registered to vote in the primaries. ;)

ProfNo
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Exactly... imagine how Ron Paul must have felt! I love it when he says we cured his skepticism. :)

Make sure you check out his Post Debate video if you haven't already

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8883580934370237347&hl=en

Yes...I saw it. I love that line about us curing his skepticism :D

Actually, I was just watching Hannity and Colmes a few minutes ago, and they had (lol) Frank Luntz on there saying the obvious winners of the debates were Romney and Thompson. He even had a (one more lol) "focus group" to support his claim.

I was flipping between CNN and MSNBC today and all that they were talking about is Huck. He is the next chosen one by the media. Honestly, I think that he is the biggest threat. On the other hand, he is clearly a terrible candidate...hopefully people will see this when he gets more exposure.

Charles Wilson
11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Every candidate in the debate was a neoconservative George Bush wannabe with the exception of Ron Paul. The audience was packed with neoconservatives. Ron Paul kicked a-- in spite of the booing. Go Ron Paul!

pacelli
11-29-2007, 08:45 PM
You know what? Let them rally behind every damned candidate until they have nobody left except Dr. Paul. The turtle always wins over the Hare :)

Midnight77
11-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I attended the CNN/YouTube Debate and saw first hand how strongly opposed the GOP is to Ron Paul winning the Republican nomination. From the onset, there were very few Ron Paul supporters in the theater and when we voiced our support loudly (cheering & clapping) it made everyone around us VERY uncomfortable. It is clear to me that those who control the GOP want nothing to do with Ron Paul and especially do not want his message of limited government and protection of liberty to spread further (why do you think he was asked so few questions).

I just want to say that I know there was very few of you, but you Paulies did what you had to do and were very vocal. For that I congratulate you, because we needed to fight the odds.

Not doing so, would have made Paul look terrible, just like the last debate at Florida.

So our thanks to all of you who were extremely vocal. You helped Paul's perception on TV tremendously.

beobeli
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Can't agree more... This is not the first attempt to push the freedom aside. But every time the freedom-loving Americans just come back stronger and more determined.

Really, what does Huckabee, or any other candidate for that matter, have to offer to the country? Any American that choses to think about it can see with naked eye that the answer is "nothing, but continued ripoff machinery and decline as usual".

We must help our fellow Americans not be manipulated. So get busy and spread the message. Be smart and classy. Freedom is popular.

Jodi
11-29-2007, 09:01 PM

I, like you, felt that very same thing. I felt like I was in the minority and have found out that we are in the majority!!!

Maria
11-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Post Debate Rally Pics:

http://i2.tinypic.com/80ovxns.jpg

http://i8.tinypic.com/85ekx08.jpg

more to come...

LJHudd
11-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Awesome pics!! Great post too Maria, we need more posts like this - cheering the Revolution on - instead of negative nit-picking (though sometimes necessary, it gets annoying when you see more of that than the good stuff)

Way to go!

Maria
11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
http://i19.tinypic.com/85p51nb.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/7xirjn5.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/80yoksh.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/7xkfg4m.jpg

Maria
11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Awesome pics!! Great post too Maria, we need more posts like this - cheering the Revolution on - instead of negative nit-picking (though sometimes necessary, it gets annoying when you see more of that than the good stuff)

Way to go!

Thank you! I think staying positive and keeping the momentum going is key.

We've only just begun!

Erazmus
11-29-2007, 10:46 PM

Great post Maria! Thanks for attending the debate and reporting back your experience!!!

bmcosti
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
How did you get in the debate? Were tickets publically available? Was each candidate alloted a certain amount?

jorger
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
The thing I noticed is that the closer we get to the Primaries, the more scared the establishment GOP gets. Some seem confused by our applause, some just weren't sure how Ron Paul supporters got inside the debate. Basically they're not sure who we are and my initial reaction is this feeling .... to quote Fight Club... "Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fuck with us."

But then the more rational reaction comes to mind. We need to understand that they are being fed the same BS we see on MSNBC/CNN/FAUX NEWS, and since that it what has worked, and I'm using the word “worked” very loosely, in the past, most don't see anything else beyond it. The last few weeks has shown the the GOP wants a Giuliani/Huck or Romney/Huck ticket. Giuliani/Romney for the name and Huck for the GOP “Judeo-Christian” sect. That, and using Hillary as a scare tactic is what they see as their formula for success.

To bad for them that in this chemistry set we are the alchemy fueling change.

We need to remember that we are going to eventually need the old GOP support. But as the Media gets more negative, the more positive, our actions and we need to be. We are all getting involved in our communities like never before. Some of us could never have imagined going to a political rally just 12 months ago. There are no lines drawn for us and that is what the Media cannot grasp. We are Democrats, Republicans, Independents and almost every other political affiliation. We come from all paths of life. We are doing this for truths we believe to be self evident. And now more than ever we see that we are not alone. We are not alone and that our numbers are growing exponentially.
The message of Liberty is so simple that it just might actually work.

RickNHouston
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Lemme tell you something fellow RPer's ... Complaining to these guys and or their employers via e-mail and IM's is a total waste of time. I have a cousin who works the internet/communications dept for CNN in Atlanta and he says they don't even recognize them ... delete them by the sreenfuls w/o opening them. Im tellin ya , we gotta hit these people and their sponsors with the only kind of language they understand .... MONEY! It's time that somebody within our brotherhood, with the knowledge to do it sucessfully, organizes a blackout on their cable networks by blocking them on their DVR boxes and a boycott of their sponsors products. We should also be asking our compatriots to buy American products at every opportunity and that means "just say no to Wal-Mart". Lemme know if I can help. I'm disabled but I'd drag myself through broken glass than to waste one more of my votes on the lesser of two evils.

Maria
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Lemme tell you something fellow RPer's ... Complaining to these guys and or their employers via e-mail and IM's is a total waste of time. I have a cousin who works the internet/communications dept for CNN in Atlanta and he says they don't even recognize them ... delete them by the sreenfuls w/o opening them. Im tellin ya , we gotta hit these people and their sponsors with the only kind of language they understand .... MONEY! It's time that somebody within our brotherhood, with the knowledge to do it sucessfully, organizes a blackout on their cable networks by blocking them on their DVR boxes and a boycott of their sponsors products. We should also be asking our compatriots to buy American products at every opportunity and that means "just say no to Wal-Mart". Lemme know if I can help. I'm disabled but I'd drag myself through broken glass than to waste one more of my votes on the lesser of two evils.

Thanks for the insight Rick and welcome aboard! :)

hroos
11-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Woo hoo! Yeah Maria... let's do this.

Maria
11-29-2007, 11:47 PM
http://i18.tinypic.com/6pq2kis.jpg

This crowd was the real deal!

Maria
11-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Woo hoo! Yeah Maria... let's do this.

We've got lot's of work to do in Miami but who better to do it for than Ron Paul :)

It's soooooooo on!

Chester Copperpot
11-30-2007, 12:03 AM

MSM is totally slinking into the realm of Irrelevance.

therealjjj77
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
I remember going to Des Moines during the Reagan Dinner and during the dinner, there was a guy standing next to me with a Mitt Romney sticker. I got to talking to him and found out he didn't support Mitt Romney, he was an intern with the Romney campaign but he told me he is voting Ron Paul.

Then during the rally afterward, Ron Paul's room was packed with so many people that there were people outside of the room. Even the other candidates left their rooms(since hardly anyone showed up to their reception afterward) to hang out on the outside of Paul's room. Here's a video of what the rooms looked like:

h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxVVTg8VdA

After the debate we were walking to my car and we were carrying some signs back while talking to another Iowan who was at the dinner. We were talking to him for a while on the street corner when a taxi driver drove by and yelled, "Go Ron! We gotta get him in the White House!" and then a bum walked by and said, "None of those candidates makin' any sense, but when Ron Paul talks: He makes sense." It was funny cause we kept getting interupted by average people on the street who weren't at the Reagan Dinner but were for Ron Paul.

Here's a good goal. Each of us need to get 20 people in Iowa to attend their caucuses and vote Ron Paul. Do that part and we will have a victory.

luckystars
11-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Do you know how radical this message is, you get killed for this type of talk. Are you people naive or what? He is advocating revoution for REAL. This is not a game, if you are not in it to win it, get out.

He knows very well what this means. We signed his death sentence by supporting him in mass. He was able to be a rural kook from Texas all these years, but now its changed.
He told you "This is a revolution, am lucky to be part of it." The media will throw everything they have at him including the kitchen sink. The cat is out of the bag, Pandora's Box has been opened, there is no turning back. We tried to open it 30 years ago, and they slammed it shut at Kent State.

Its truth time.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
11-30-2007, 12:43 AM
http://i16.tinypic.com/86sn904.jpg

Anybody else think Ron Paul looks like the Rocky Balboa statue from the movies. The one at the top of the stairs with his arms up like that and head slightly downward.

Has Stallone come out with support for anyone yet?

nexalacer
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
My thoughts exactly.
Are we going to give up here?
Republicans are getting crazy trying to stop Ron Paul.
I think we have a good chance.
All of you seem to agree with me!
How about a new plan?
Attack those bastards where it hurts.
Stop supporting their wallets!
Bring back the Constitution.
Ignore the doubters!
Grab at this chance for liberty!
Bring this message to everyone you know.
Offer a chance of freedom to today's citizens.
Offer a chance of freedom to tomorrow's children!
Broadcast this message loud and clear!
Save Liberty!

<3

Maria
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
My thoughts exactly.
Are we going to give up here?
Republicans are getting crazy trying to stop Ron Paul.
I think we have a good chance.
All of you seem to agree with me!
How about a new plan?
Attack those bastards where it hurts.
Stop supporting their wallets!
Bring back the Constitution.
Ignore the doubters!
Grab at this chance for liberty!
Bring this message to everyone you know.
Offer a chance of freedom to today's citizens.
Offer a chance of freedom to tomorrow's children!
Broadcast this message loud and clear!
Save Liberty!

<3

Here, Here!

Maria
11-30-2007, 01:58 AM
How did you get in the debate? Were tickets publically available? Was each candidate alloted a certain amount?

I was lucky enough to be a guest of someone who was personally invited.

I don't know how they allocated the tickets but I can assure you that it wasn't done so equitably.

Paulitician
11-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Good to know!

You're a pretty lady, BTW.

ckhagen
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the post Maria!
I think I saw you on my way out of the straw poll (had the two kids, one in the stroller).

I'm glad you got to go. Seriously, if given a fair shot at getting tickets (which I requested MONTHS ago), we could have filled that place with RP supporters, easy :D

Cindy
11-30-2007, 02:17 AM
http://i16.tinypic.com/86sn904.jpg

Anybody else think Ron Paul looks like the Rocky Balboa statue from the movies. The one at the top of the stairs with his arms up like that and head slightly downward.

Has Stallone come out with support for anyone yet?

I LOVE that picture! Ron Paul is so cool. It was great the way he pulled that signed T-shirt it on right away like a proud grandfather.

Maria
11-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the post Maria!
I think I saw you on my way out of the straw poll (had the two kids, one in the stroller).

I'm glad you got to go. Seriously, if given a fair shot at getting tickets (which I requested MONTHS ago), we could have filled that place with RP supporters, easy :D

I do remember seeing the kids and the stroller! You know, it's funny b/c when I first got the straw poll tickets I had no idea there would be this much support for RP, particulary at a FL poll.

I even thought we needed to find a meeting place before hand so we could "stick together"... :eek:pretty funny right, we had the WHOLE place covered. I don't think there's a single person in St. Pete who doesn't know who Ron Paul is now...:)

ccannizzaro
11-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Gore "beat" bush in all his debates. Kerry "won" all the debates in 04. McCain "beat" bush in most of the primary debates in 2000.

When it comes down to it, the debates are not what matters. Debates are literally on stage for the media to broadcast, it's a show, it's a race, and they help determine the finishing by giving certain people a head start. It's also the furthest removed from the real people that candidates actually get.

What really matters is the speeches like the one that Ron Paul delivered after the debate. What really matters is when the candidates get closer to the people, when they energize those people. That's what causes their support to grow exponentially, because it motivates people like us to go out there and do more than we were yesterday.

What other candidate is getting that kind of support from real people that translates into copious amounts of votes? What other candidate is inspiring people to vote who have never voted before? Romney? No. McCain? Looks like he's accepted the fact that he's not going to win. Giuliani? Hoping people don't dig too deep. Huckabee? Literally praying and preying on the religious vote.

Ron Paul doesn't need debates. He's got us!

Maria
11-30-2007, 02:28 AM
What other candidate is getting that kind of support from real people that translates into copious amounts of votes? What other candidate is inspiring people to vote who have never voted before? Romney? No. McCain? Looks like he's accepted the fact that he's not going to win. Giuliani? Hoping people don't dig too deep. Huckabee? Literally praying and preying on the religious vote.

Ron Paul doesn't need debates. He's got us!

Wow, very well said! The Giuliani part especially :D

Oyate
11-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Great stories folks! We got a post about this on the Arizona meetup board but if you guys could get together and really let us see with a Youtube it would be really inspiring! Especially to those of us who were doing Youtubes when a dozen people was amazing. Now we're doing mass mobilizations.

Never has a movement grown into maturity so fast. They still have no_idea what they are dealing with.

Maria
11-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Great stories folks! We got a post about this on the Arizona meetup board but if you guys could get together and really let us see with a Youtube it would be really inspiring! Especially to those of us who were doing Youtubes when a dozen people was amazing. Now we're doing mass mobilizations.

Never has a movement grown into maturity so fast. They still have no_idea what they are dealing with.

Here are a couple... I'm sure more will be coming:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lrxNbUfLfHw

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...70237347&hl=en

vegetarianrpfan
11-30-2007, 03:27 AM
It doesn't matter if the GOP establishment who happened to be in Florida for the debate want Ron Paul. They're uncomfortable for a reason: they feel their party being taken away from them. We have to get out there, join the GOP, and take it over before they even realize what is happening. After a few emails, I was on the executive committee of my local county's Republican Party. It takes nothing to get into the GOP in many places, especially if you're willing to be a little active.

Get involved locally, and become a delegate, and we can win this election for Ron Paul.

By the way, Maria, I was surprised to hear that there weren't too many Ron Paul supporters, because you guys did a great job vocalizing, and a great job booing McCain when he attacked our guy so maliciously.

-----------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

Maria
11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
It doesn't matter if the GOP establishment who happened to be in Florida for the debate want Ron Paul. They're uncomfortable for a reason: they feel their party being taken away from them. We have to get out there, join the GOP, and take it over before they even realize what is happening. After a few emails, I was on the executive committee of my local county's Republican Party. It takes nothing to get into the GOP in many places, especially if you're willing to be a little active.

Get involved locally, and become a delegate, and we can win this election for Ron Paul.

By the way, Maria, I was surprised to hear that there weren't too many Ron Paul supporters, because you guys did a great job vocalizing, and a great job booing McCain when he attacked our guy so maliciously.

-----------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

You're absolutely right, we have to take over our local GOP committees. I've already called my local GOP and I had a great response. My method is the same as urs ;)

and yeah...i'm sooooo glad we sounded loud on TV. There was no holding back from any of us and I'm glad that came through :D