PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Police Kill Driver In Chase, Empty Guns Into Car After Stopping, Caught on Tape

HOLLYWOOD
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Checkout the video... he stops and the police "UNLOAD" on the vehicle. Now, Wait for it... Wait for it... "...Fear of Officer Safety"

"He just stopped and they started shooting at him," said witness Frankie Martinez. "Everybody started unloading on him. He got smoked. He probably did something bad for that to happen. They didn't even give him a chance."

http://www.10news.com/news/suspect-shot-by-police-in-mount-hope-following-pursuit-dies-at-the-hospital011214 Suspect shot by police in Mount Hope following pursuit dies at the hospital

http://kwout.com/cutout/h/mk/ie/hrw_bor.jpg
10News - High-speed police chase in southeast San Diego ends in shots fired; suspect taken to hospital - 10News.com - News (http://www.10news.com/news/police-involved-in-high-speed-chase-in-southeast-san-diego01092014)
Posted: 01/12/2014

SAN DIEGO - A 40-year-old man who was shot by police following an hour-long high-speed pursuit died of his injuries.
Jose Luis Navarro of Lemon Grove was critically injured in Thursday's incident and had been on life support (http://www.10news.com/news/man-shot-by-police-officers-after-pursuit-now-on-life-support-family-says-011014). Police said he passed away at the hospital on Saturday.

San Diego police say the pursuit began at about 8:30 a.m. in the 5400 block of Grape Street when a sergeant tried to stop a 40-year-old man in a 2002 two-door Saturn for talking on his cellphone while driving.

As the sergeant started to get out of the police cruiser, the driver of the Saturn took off. Police say the suspect raced down residential streets at speeds of up to 60 mph.

While chasing the Saturn sedan, police determined that it matched the description of one linked to a shooting that wounded two men in a Mountain View-area neighborhood Monday night.
Officers said during the pursuit the man ran red lights and weaved through several neighborhoods -- including Oak Park, National City, Bonita and Paradise Hills. The suspect eventually headed onto northbound Interstate 805 at Imperial Avenue and then onto eastbound state Route 94.
The suspect exited the highway at Euclid Avenue and continued to Hilltop Drive. The driver stopped briefly to let a female passenger out of the car and then continued on through Encanto and Bay Terraces, hitting some spike strips.
10News was in place as the car went through the intersection of 41st and Hilltop, then lapped the block and stopped short of the spike strips. The vehicle came to a permanent stop on 41st Street at Hilltop Drive, and officers learned the suspect had a handgun in his possession.
While the Saturn was stopped, police said the suspect raised the gun towards officers, and fearing for their safety and the safety of others, four SDPD officers opened fire at the suspect in the vehicle.
"He just stopped and they started shooting at him," said witness Frankie Martinez. "Everybody started unloading on him. He got smoked. He probably did something bad for that to happen. They didn't even give him a chance."

Watch the dramatic video (http://www.10news.com/news/police-involved-in-high-speed-chase-in-southeast-san-diego01092014) (shooting video courtesy of our media partners at San Diego 6)

According to police, the suspect's gun was found at the scene, along with what is believed to be controlled substances.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/san-diego-police-shootout-caught-tape-21485801

http://www.10news.com/news/police-involved-in-high-speed-chase-in-southeast-san-diego01092014 High-speed police chase in southeast San Diego ends in shots fired; suspect taken to hospital
Posted: 01/09/2014
http://www.10news.com/image/user_male_portrait?img_id=176810514&t=1389724606436 10News Digital Team | Email Me (kgtv.web@10news.com)
SAN DIEGO - An hour-long police pursuit ended in Mount Hope Thursday with police shooting the driver -- and it was all caught on camera.

http://media.10news.com/photo/2014/01/09/Police_pursuit__shooting_in_southeast_Sa_123468000 1_1981158_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

San Diego police say the pursuit began at about 8:30 a.m. in the 5400 block of Grape Street when a sergeant tried to stop a 40-year-old man in a 2002 two-door Saturn for talking on his cellphone while driving. As the sergeant started to get out of the police cruiser, the driver of the Saturn took off. Police say the suspect raced down residential streets at speeds of up to 60 mph.

NOTE: Video of the shooting courtesy of our media partners at San Diego 6

While chasing the Saturn sedan, police determined that it matched the description of one linked to a shooting that wounded two men in a Mountain View-area neighborhood Monday night.

Officers said during the pursuit the man ran red lights and weaved through several neighborhoods -- including Oak Park, National City, Bonita and Paradise Hills. The suspect eventually headed onto northbound Interstate 805 at Imperial Avenue and then onto eastbound state Route 94.

The suspect exited the highway at Euclid Avenue and continued to Hilltop Drive. The driver stopped briefly to let a female passenger out of the car and then continued on through Encanto and Bay Terraces, hitting some spike strips.

10News was in place as the car went through the intersection of 41st and Hilltop, then lapped the block and stopped short of the spike strips. The vehicle came to a permanent stop on 41st Street at Hilltop Drive, and officers learned the suspect had a handgun in his possession.

While the Saturn was stopped, police said the suspect raised the gun towards officers, and fearing for their safety and the safety of others, four SDPD officers opened fire at the suspect in the vehicle.

The suspect was taken to the hospital and is listed in critical condition.

According to police, the suspect's gun was found at the scene, along with what is believed to be controlled substances.

Some of what police said during the dispatch calls:
"Uh, continuing wrong side of the road. Use caution if you're approaching... now it's going to be approaching Sweetwater and 805. And he's back to the correct side of the road now."

"He's having more and more difficulty. One of his tires keeps smoking when he makes some turns. I think it's brake problems or something."

"I got spikes, next intersection. Back off."

"And speeds are back up to about 60 mph. Uh, going through stop sign. Still northbound Harbison approaching Division."

"Blew a red light. Use caution for cross traffic when you get there. He's westbound on Federal."

"John, he did impact my spikes."

"I need the air. The female said that he does have a firearm. She doesn't know what kind it is."

"Male does have a firearm. Units in pursuit."

"Sam, can you make sure everyone is 10-4 on the gun?"

"Guys, he put a window up. Heads up."

(Shots fired a few seconds later)

"Officers are at the car. Units at the vehicle. They're trying to get the suspect out of the car now. They're trying to get the suspect out."

"We have him out on the ground."

"Let's get medics started this way."

According to a law enforcement source, when the driver circled back, the suspect drove by slowly and yelled something out the window. The windows were rolled up on the vehicle when the driver drove by a second time. That's when the source tells 10News that officers saw the driver had a gun and they opened fire.

FrankRep
01-14-2014, 01:34 PM
An hour-long high-speed pursuit?

Wow.

Philhelm
01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Caught on tape? Pffft! The Thomas Kelly verdict shows that cameras can, in fact, lie.

FrankRep
01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Caught on tape? Pffft! The Thomas Kelly verdict shows that cameras can, in fact, lie.

Misinterpreted, actually.

Travlyr
01-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Police today are Judge, Jury, and Executioners.

Philhelm
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Misinterpreted, actually.

No, the camera is facing a charge of perjury.

FrankRep
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM

When the police departments get federalized, this problem will escalate. The police have been under attack since the 1960s.

ZENemy
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Wait, Saturn's can travel at high speeds?

phill4paul
01-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Gonna be a banner year for "Law and Order."

specsaregood
01-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Pfft, we learned that last year in philly when the judge said as much and threw out the video evidence of the cop punching that woman at the Puerto rican parade.

JK/SEA
01-14-2014, 02:00 PM

a few people in here wouldn't have a problem with this...

1. saves a trial and money, and...

repeat #1...

GunnyFreedom
01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
No, the camera is facing a charge of perjury.
I heard they were taking the camera out to Utah for execution by firing squad.

Anti Federalist
01-14-2014, 07:55 PM
All you maggots got a problem with this?

You want some of what he got?

I thought so...

kcchiefs6465
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NueVs-pOvDQ

pcosmar
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
When the police departments get federalized, this problem will escalate.

The police are federalized.. have been for some time..

The myth that they are local police is only a thin veneer..

Anti Federalist
01-14-2014, 08:10 PM

You betcha...

dannno
01-14-2014, 08:15 PM
So what weapons were in his car?

Neil Desmond
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM

What exactly do you mean by that? According to the story in the OP:

While the Saturn was stopped, police said the suspect raised the gun towards officers

JK/SEA
01-14-2014, 08:25 PM
What exactly do you mean by that? According to the story in the OP:

keyword:....'story'....

coastie
01-14-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm working on stabilizing the video of this shooting right now. I read somewhere today comments from someone who said they already looked at it and that you can see at least one shot from the inside of the vehicle...but I still haven't found it, and the shot I think he's referring to sounds just like the officers guns firing.

What I mean by that is that the windows were rolled up, so there's no way a gun shot would sound as "crisp" as the sounds the camera microphone captured if he fired from inside the vehicle.

I'll fire up Premier Pro and After Effects again later and run the video through again after I get home from a couple of beers...I need to go relax, the Kelly Thomas verdict has got me in a really shitty mood today.:(

Indy Vidual
01-14-2014, 09:00 PM
So what weapons were in his car?

A lighter and a bong.
No other "weapons" were really found.

coastie
01-14-2014, 09:05 PM
A lighter and a bong.
No other "weapons" were really found.

:confused:They're saying they found a gun and <gasp> those horrible controlled substances.

Unless I missed your sarcasm?

Oh fuck it, I'm gonna go have 3 beers and some Colorado type treats at my buddies, I'll be back.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-14-2014, 09:13 PM

I know exactly what you mean because you put it in quotes, butI would amend that to order only. I find most so-called law and order types really focus on order, but not so much law. If you look at our exponentially expanding code, then it's clear that most of these statutes and regulations have nothing to do with law.

Basic laws were enacted years ago. Not much left to enact on the law front. Today, it's about creating order.

Christian Liberty
01-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I know exactly what you mean because you put it in quotes, butI would amend that to order only. I find most so-called law and order types really focus on order, but not so much law. If you look at our exponentially expanding code, then it's clear that most of these statutes and regulations have nothing to do with law.

Basic laws were enacted years ago. Not much left to enact on the law front. Today, it's about creating order.

Anarcho-capitalism would make "rule of law' stronger than it ever has been before because the laws would apply equally to every person.

So, you're right, its really more about combating "chaos", which is pretty much a smokescreen of an argument.

QuickZ06
01-14-2014, 09:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xtnPhE9.jpg

jjdoyle
01-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Well, that's A-okay. Unfortunately, the police didn't have an armed drone. If they had, it would have been A-okay for them to blow the entire car up, and would have saved on gas from the chase and medical bills from the hospital.

Neil Desmond
01-14-2014, 10:58 PM
keyword:....'story'....

Oh, ok; what does this story have to do with politics or anything to do with this forum? Is it because they were trying to pull the driver over for talking on his cell phone while driving? That doesn't seem to be the emphasis being made by the OP.

JK/SEA
01-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh, ok; what does this story have to do with politics or anything to do with this forum? Is it because they were trying to pull the driver over for talking on his cell phone while driving? That doesn't seem to be the emphasis being made by the OP.

the guy in the Saturn doesn't get to tell his 'story'....

yeah yeah, runnin from the cops...bang, you're dead
yeah yeah, the cops heve you subdued, you get beat to death....

could be why the guy was runnin'....his odds seemed better....boy, was he wrong..

Neil Desmond
01-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Ah ok, he doesn't get to tell his "story" because according to the cops' "story", he passed away at the hospital. Well, what if he left a suicide note or was known to have a death wish?

could be why the guy was runnin'....his odds seemed better....boy, was he wrong..

I suppose that's conceivable, so I hope it wasn't because he was mislead by or believed "stories" that others told him about cops.

JK/SEA
01-15-2014, 12:02 AM
//

Spikender
01-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Wow, this guy was able to outrun the cops for a whole hour...

I'm going to wait for more information on this one before passing judgment.

Though I will say the cops filling his entire car and his entire body with bullet holes isn't exactly surprising given their track record.

devil21
01-15-2014, 02:48 AM

Every time these things come up I wonder if the dead guy was just whacked because he was a threat to someone higher up in the PD. I've seen way too many videos of people being shot by cops for no obvious reason to think it's always just a split second reaction to the circumstances. There's a video floating around on rpf a few years back that is a blatant mob style hit by a cop in an alley. He shot the running "suspect" in the back from 20 yards away and nothing was heard about it again.