PDA

View Full Version : Study: For kids, the rich get thinner and the poor get fatter

Matt Collins
01-14-2014, 09:20 AM
http://www.timesnews.net/article/9071987/for-kids-the-rich-get-thinner-and-the-poor-get-fatter

TonySutton
01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Interesting article but I would love to see the split outs on exactly what the 2 groups are eating. All calories are not alike.

oyarde
01-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I think we need to define poor . I have been all over and I never saw fat poor kids in the third world .

oyarde
01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Poor is when there is little to eat and you have to consume calories to gather , harvest it .

FrankRep
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Lifestyle habits.

belian78
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM
What it comes down to is poor folk have to work longer hours, and most cases both parents work, this causes two problems. One, with the parents being away as much as they are, the children are more and more just sitting in front of a computer or a game console than anything else. Two, poorer folk have to budget their grocery money and this means buying (for the most part, I can see a few of you salivating to jump me over fresh food markets and smart shopping) less healthy foods because you can buy more of it and it lasts longer.

oyarde
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
What it comes down to is poor folk have to work longer hours, and most cases both parents work, this causes two problems. One, with the parents being away as much as they are, the children are more and more just sitting in front of a computer or a game console than anything else. Two, poorer folk have to budget their grocery money and this means buying (for the most part, I can see a few of you salivating to jump me over fresh food markets and smart shopping) less healthy foods because you can buy more of it and it lasts longer.

Yeah , but if all you have to do is eat mac n cheese and play video games , you need to get more poor or more wealthy , lol.Really , that is not poor . Poor is catching fish for dinner after you had no breakfast or lunch and not having video games .

Origanalist
01-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah , but if all you have to do is eat mac n cheese and play video games , you need to get more poor or more wealthy , lol.Really , that is not poor . Poor is catching fish for dinner after you had no breakfast or lunch and not having video games .

Poor in America...welfare mom.

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/omg/2014-01-13/01b4ae18-0502-4480-974e-f26efeb33a06_2048_NadyaSuleman.jpg

oyarde
01-14-2014, 10:57 AM

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/omg/2014-01-13/01b4ae18-0502-4480-974e-f26efeb33a06_2048_NadyaSuleman.jpg

All those kids need a Daddy , lol

MRK
01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I think we need to define poor . I have been all over and I never saw fat poor kids in the third world .

It's extremely rare to see an obese person where I live. The official numbers state that obese people consist of only 2% of the population.

However, that number seems either too high, or the 1% who are obese and that I don't see must be too embarrassed to leave their homes.

It's really sad, there's a Western doctor who just arrived in the neighborhood, who is obese and smokes, and sweats profusely. He was hoping it wouldn't take long to get used to the heat and humidity so he could wean himself off AC and deal with just having fans. He's in for a big surprise when winter ends and the natural furnance kicks up the pressure by an order of magnitude. I am fit, mid twenties, don't smoke and rarely drink, and wear only a polo shirt, athletic shorts and sandals and still sweat profusely all the time. This guy might die in his condition. I'm not sure on the actual effect on mortality, but I really couldn't imagine leading any kind of functional life while being obese here.

Matt Collins
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
It's extremely rare to see an obese person where I live. Where do you live? :confused:

Matt Collins
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2011-11-15-obesity_map/obesity_by_county_large.png

http://www.americanobesity.org/images/map_county_diabetes_2007.jpg

Ender
01-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Lifestyle habits.

It's more than lifestyle habits- it's a change in perspective of what beauty and success are.

At the time of the founding of America, what we would consider "fat" today, was considered a sign of wealth and beauty. In the 60's the "Twiggy" era came about and success and beauty began to be measured by skinniness.

Also- the great American diet of carbs and unsaturated fats add weight to those in the poverty spectrum, as they are a) touted as healthy, and b) cheap.

heavenlyboy34
01-14-2014, 06:17 PM

'Murica needs more MILFs and GILFs on the welfare rolls...and among the general population. ;) Wouldn't you agree, old man?:toady:

dannno
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Grains = cheap

Fruit, vegetables, high quality meats = expensive

oyarde
01-14-2014, 11:33 PM
It's extremely rare to see an obese person where I live. The official numbers state that obese people consist of only 2% of the population.

However, that number seems either too high, or the 1% who are obese and that I don't see must be too embarrassed to leave their homes.

It's really sad, there's a Western doctor who just arrived in the neighborhood, who is obese and smokes, and sweats profusely. He was hoping it wouldn't take long to get used to the heat and humidity so he could wean himself off AC and deal with just having fans. He's in for a big surprise when winter ends and the natural furnance kicks up the pressure by an order of magnitude. I am fit, mid twenties, don't smoke and rarely drink, and wear only a polo shirt, athletic shorts and sandals and still sweat profusely all the time. This guy might die in his condition. I'm not sure on the actual effect on mortality, but I really couldn't imagine leading any kind of functional life while being obese here.

Kind of funny , when I was younger I knew a fat , old ,hard drinking, chain smoking Doc who lived in your neck of the woods, lol he sweat profusely too . I was young , 5' 11" , under 150 , smoked two packs a day , drank alot ( thats how I meet him ) and I sweated profusely . He caimed he was French , I knew he was not , spoke it worse than I did . Married some gal half his age , lost weight , cut down on the drinking, lived to be an old man . I had sweat dripping off of me , but the heat never really bothered me , nor did I have to worry about getting fat.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-15-2014, 12:37 AM
http://www.maxmasnick.com/media/2011-11-15-obesity_map/obesity_by_county_large.png

http://www.americanobesity.org/images/map_county_diabetes_2007.jpg

Interesting kinds of maps. Thanks for posting.

enoch150
01-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Interesting article but I would love to see the split outs on exactly what the 2 groups are eating. All calories are not alike.

They are for weight loss purposes. Anyone who burns more calories than they consume is going to lose weight, even if they only eat McDonald's and Twinkies. They'll have severe nutritional deficiencies and a host of other problems, but they won't be overweight.

The bigger factor here is exercise. The kids of uneducated parents actually ate 2% fewer calories per day than the kids of educated parents. But 10% more of the kids of college educated parents said they were getting regular exercise and there could also be qualitative differences there. So the kids of educated parents evidently have a higher total daily energy expenditure requirement.

Spikender
01-15-2014, 02:38 AM
They are for weight loss purposes. Anyone who burns more calories than they consume is going to lose weight, even if they only eat McDonald's and Twinkies. They'll have severe nutritional deficiencies, but they won't be overweight.

The bigger factor here is exercise. There were only 45 calories per day difference between the kids of uneducated parents and the kids of educated parents. But 10% more of the kids of college educated parents said they were getting regular exercise and there could also be qualitative differences there.

Enoch makes a good point here. I've noticed the biggest fluctuations in my weight when I've stopped exercising regularly. Diet does matter, as it helps keep a healthy body overall. A slightly overweight person could technically be healthier because they eat a good diet, while a person who exercises yet pigs out on fast food everyday may actually not be as healthy.

MRK
01-15-2014, 03:16 AM
Matt: I spend my time between a couple countries in SE Asia (not mentioning them by name due to web searches but you can figure it out easily if you look at obesity statistics by country at the CIA factbook stats)