PDA

View Full Version : Another Republican jumps into Senate race against Hagan

Bastiat's The Law
01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/images/1352591.jpg

The former mayor of a western Piedmont city announced Monday he's joining North Carolina's U.S. Senate race this year, bringing the total number of Republican candidates in the race to at least six.

Ted Alexander, the mayor of Shelby for eight years until 2011, has been Cleveland County Republican Party chairman for the past year. The GOP primary in May is supposed to determine the top challenger to Democratic incumbent Kay Hagan, who doesn't face opposition from prominent members in her party.

Alexander told The Shelby Star he felt God was compelling him to get in the race

Bastiat's The Law
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
So, how does this affect the race now?

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah I saw this. Hard to say really, but I think mostly he'll split voters off of Harris and Tillis.

Bastiat's The Law
01-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Yeah I saw this. Hard to say really, but I think mostly he'll split voters off of Harris and Tillis.

He looks like an establishment type to me, so hopefully you're right and he siphons vote away from Tillis and Harris (who seems like a dud at this point).

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2014, 09:03 PM
He looks like an establishment type to me, so hopefully you're right and he siphons vote away from Tillis and Harris (who seems like a dud at this point).

Alexander and Tillis will split the Team Red Paid Their Dues vote, and Alexander and Harris will split the God Commands Us To Write His Will Into Law vote. Alexander, although he has a Theocratic bent, will not draw much from the Tea Party as a long time establishmentarian. Pretty sure he's harmless to Brannon.

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
So, how does this affect the race now?

Seems like a good thing. This guy should not take votes from Brannon, except maybe in his town.

Bastiat's The Law
01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
This virtually assures us that this primary will go to a runoff don't you guys think?

GunnyFreedom
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
This virtually assures us that this primary will go to a runoff don't you guys think?

NC has a 40% threshold; it's kinda hard to get a runoff here.

Oldsouljer
01-14-2014, 06:08 AM
Agreed. Though this slightly increases the chance of a runoff. I emphasize "slightly" because I doubt seriously that this latecomer will garner much of the vote total.

Tillett4Liberty
01-15-2014, 02:35 PM
God is on his side. He's going to win, duh.

aclove
01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
There was a candidate forum/debate last night in Winston-Salem hosted by the Forsyth County GOP. All the candidates except for Tillis participated. Brannon got rave reviews and was declared the winner by the press in attendance.

http://www.camelcitydispatch.com/2014-us-senate-race-north-carolina-scouting-report-1/

GunnyFreedom
01-15-2014, 11:19 PM
There was a candidate forum/debate last night in Winston-Salem hosted by the Forsyth County GOP. All the candidates except for Tillis participated. Brannon got rave reviews and was declared the winner by the press in attendance.

http://www.camelcitydispatch.com/2014-us-senate-race-north-carolina-scouting-report-1/
One of the profound ironies here is that the County Chair hosting the event is hyper-establishment and probably would have been all-in for Tillis, bur he was pretty upset that Tillis didn't show.

Also, MEGA-props to Brannon for taking the question "Who did you vote for in the 2012 General Election?" and telling the attendees that he wrote in Ron Paul. That took guts.

Bastiat's The Law
01-15-2014, 11:49 PM
One of the profound ironies here is that the County Chair hosting the event is hyper-establishment and probably would have been all-in for Tillis, bur he was pretty upset that Tillis didn't show.

Also, MEGA-props to Brannon for taking the question "Who did you vote for in the 2012 General Election?" and telling the attendees that he wrote in Ron Paul. That took guts.

I think I'm going to donate to Brannon again just for sticking to his guns.

Keith and stuff
01-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Seems like a good thing. This guy should not take votes from Brannon, except maybe in his town.

Unless is makes the race dirtier and more expensive, thus draining GOP funds while the Democrat can raise funds.

aclove
01-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Cumbie is hyper-establishment? Ironic, considering his reputation as a Tea Party guy.

eduardo89
01-16-2014, 07:17 AM
NC has a 40% threshold; it's kinda hard to get a runoff here.

Even in a 6-way race?

Bastiat's The Law
01-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Some facts to chew on:

- There hasn't been a competitive Republican primary in NC since 1992.

- An average of 384,917 total votes are cast in the Republican primary.

- To throw this into a runoff election we have to keep Tillis under 153,966 votes.

mosquitobite
01-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks for letting me know he needs a donation from me! :D

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2014, 11:37 AM

GunnyFreedom
01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Cumbie is hyper-establishment? Ironic, considering his reputation as a Tea Party guy.

You are right, but there is a small overlap in the Venn Diagram there, and he inhabits it.

GunnyFreedom
01-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Even in a 6-way race?

40% is harder to do than it seems. It's certainly possible, I mean we have had our share of runoffs before; it's just not as much a 'given' as one would think with this many people in the race. By ballot time it usually boils down to two contenders and everyone else.

GunnyFreedom
01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Just in time for Harris's poll numbers to collapse into the gutter, Harris announces via email that Mike Huckabee has endorsed him for US Senate from North Carolina:

Today, former Presidential candidate and Governor Mike Huckabee (R-Arkansas) announced his endorsement of Mark Harris for U.S. Senate in North Carolina.

"I am very excited to endorse Mark Harris for U.S. Senate because he's a true conservative who will join us in fighting against the status quo in Washington, DC. Americans are looking for leaders who they can trust to place their oath of office above partisan politics by fighting for the Constitution and standing up for what they believe in. Mark is the right choice for conservatives and Republicans in North Carolina," said Gov. Huckabee.

"And as previous campaigns have shown in North Carolina, you can't select a candidate that divides people, you must select the candidate that unites people. Mark is the only candidate that has the lifelong experience as a public servant that has helped guide people from all walks of life through every problem you could imagine. Mark is running a focused and disciplined campaign and when you run on a set of core principles that unite the electorate, you will win. This is why supporting Mark Harris is an easy decision, and I expect him to be North Carolina's next Senator."

Governor Mike Huckabee's endorsement has added to Mark Harris's momentum as Republicans from all parts of North Carolina are rapidly joining Harris's efforts both online and in person. Harris's campaign has energized conservatives who are proud to support the core principles and values based on faith and family, who also oppose the big government, tax and spend style of politics that have become the status quo in both political parties.

"I am excited to urge every voter in the state of North Carolina and across our nation to join Mark Harris's efforts by generously contributing to his campaign today. And after that, join his volunteer efforts to help make sure we get a true fiscal and social conservative in the US Senate from North Carolina."

Mark Harris noted, "I am honored to receive Governor Huckabee's endorsement. Ever since Governor Huckabee stepped into the national spotlight he has captured the hearts and minds of so many Americans that are looking for real leadership in our Nation. As seen in the title of his early book "Character IS the Issue," Governor Huckabee has demonstrated social and fiscal conservatism with a true common sense approach to the issues facing our nation."

"I am thankful and humbled by Governor Huckabee's confidence and endorsement for me to be the next United States Senator from North Carolina," said Harris.

Donate
Stay Informed

Sincerely,

Team Mark Harris

Paid for by Mark Harris for U.S. Senate

TaftFan
01-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Mike Huckabee sucks so much.

Bastiat's The Law
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Hate to do this to you guys, but a seventh republican candidate jumped into the race today.

Brian4Liberty
01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Hate to do this to you guys, but a seventh republican candidate jumped into the race today.

I would expect that the Chamber or some other establishment group will try to run a fake "Tea Party" candidate before this is over.

Bastiat's The Law
01-22-2014, 02:58 PM
I would expect that the Chamber or some other establishment group will try to run a fake "Tea Party" candidate before this is over.

Harris and Flynn might take that mantle.

aclove
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
At this point, the more, the merrier. Now, every extra candidate means a runoff is more likely, and the only ones getting through that are Tillis and Brannon.

Mr.NoSmile
01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
So as was the case in Florida, you have the GOP spending money attacking each other, while Hagan can sit comfortably and spend little. And the GOP wonders where its problems come from: too many people want to open their mouths, they just don't have the right way of saying things.