PDA

View Full Version : Is Christie toast ? N.J. lawmaker: Christie impeachment a possibility

mrsat_98
01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/12/nj-lawmaker-christie-impeachment-possibility/4445075/

TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie claims no involvement in "Bridgegate" despite spending hours with his deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, on the day Kelly was receiving messages related to the shutdown of George Washington Bridge lanes.

The head of the New Jersey Assembly panel investigating the politically motivated lane closures said that's a reason Christie's claim to have been unaware of the plot is "not credible."

STORY: GOP leaders: Christie's presidential hopes not dashed
STORY: Hundreds of pages in Christie's 'Bridgegate' released

Kelly, fired by Christie last week, was the one who gave the code red shutdown order to a Christie appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, saying it was "time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."

With the traffic jams in place, Kelly spent time on her personal e-mail account receiving messages from authority officials on what to tell reporters on Sept. 12, the day she later accompanied Christie in response to the Seaside Heights, N.J., boardwalk fire.

"She spent the rest of the day with the governor at the fire scene at the Seaside boardwalk," Assemblyman John Wisniewski said Sunday in an appearance on Face The Nation on CBS. "This senior aide, who was with him that day, who sent the order, never once communicated with him? It's unbelievable.''

“The Assembly has the ability to do articles of impeachment. We're way ahead of that, though.'”
— New Jersey Assemblyman John Wisniewski
Wisniewski, a Middlesex County Democrat who is chairman of the Assembly Transportation Committee, also said impeachment of Christie is possible if it can be proved the Republican governor had direct involvement or participation in the lane closures.

The most recent impeachment of a U.S. governor occurred in 2009 when the Illinois House voted 117-1 to oust Rod Blagojevich on corruption charges.

Christie's press office did not respond to request for comment.

Bridgegate has put Christie in a tight spot heading into his State of the State address Tuesday and his inauguration speech next week, said Patrick Murray, the director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute.

High approval

"We should remember that Gov. Christie enjoyed a stellar 65% job-approval rating in the December Monmouth University/Asbury Park Press Poll. Nothing that came out last week is going to totally wipe out that positive view," said Murray. "Our polling all along has shown that few New Jerseyans have a problem with the 'bullying' aspect of the governor's personality. The real question is the degree to which his integrity has taken a hit."

Wisniewski also said Sunday using public property for political purposes is a crime. The lane closures in September have appeared to be an effort by Christie's team to tie up traffic in Fort Lee, N.J., over four days in September in a plot to punish the town's Democratic mayor, Mark Sokolich, according to e-mails and text messages made public last week.

STORY: Poll: Christie's approval rating at 65%

"The Assembly has the ability to do articles of impeachment" if necessary, said Wisniewski, who added, "We're way ahead of that, though.''

Subpoenaed documents show involvement of multiple Christie aides, including Regina Egea, then director of the authorities unit, who was promoted last month to become Christie's chief of staff.

On Sept. 9 Patrick Foye, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, complained in an e-mail that the closures created "dangers to the public interest." That message was forward by Christie loyalist Bill Baroni, deputy director of the Port Authority, to Egea three hours after Foye's complaint. Foye is an appointee of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

"I don't think it's credible for a governor to have his chief of staff, his communication director, his deputy chief of staff, his chief counsel, all involved in e-mail communications on the day this took place and the days after, talking to not only the problems that were created in Fort Lee but also talking about how to spin it to the press. I don't think it's possible for all of those people to be involved and know and for the governor to absolutely have no communication," Wisniewski said.

RickyJ
01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Of course he knew, it was probably his idea in the first place. But people are really dumb, so it might not be toast time for him yet.

phill4paul
01-13-2014, 06:47 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1606980_10152165941980520_558168899_n.jpg

Thor
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/staypuft/2.jpg

mczerone
01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
How is 65% approval "stellar"?

I mean, that'd be like a 3 star rating on amazon. That'd be a D in school. That'd be a sign that people don't like your product on the market.

But this is politics - 1/3 of people disapprove, but are just told to STFU and try next time to vote for someone they like better. Which is unlikely, because more than 50% already like what they have.

Not satisfied with your Kindle? Too bad, 65% of people approve of it, so everyone has to have one. You can't even have paper books anymore. We've voted. Don't like the result? Vote. Maybe 65% of people will not approve then of the thing they approve of now.

angelatc
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
If they can produce a smoking gun, they probably will not need to impeach him. He will resign.

But if they cannot prove that he knew about it, then this will turn into nothing.

angelatc
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
How is 65% approval "stellar"?

Heck, just try to get 65% of the RPF regulars to agree with you on everything that's important to them. Now, imagine that we were more diverse. We had everything from progressives to neocons to Jews to athiests to wealthy people to poor people to people who do not care.....

Try to get 65% of them to agree with you on all their hot button issues simultaneously.

mczerone
01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Heck, just try to get 65% of the RPF regulars to agree with you on everything that's important to them. Now, imagine that we were more diverse. We had everything from progressives to neocons to Jews to athiests to wealthy people to poor people to people who do not care.....

Try to get 65% of them to agree with you on all their hot button issues simultaneously.

Yeah, I get that. I'm saying that someone shouldn't be forced into associating with someone else, even if 65% of other people like the option.

specsaregood
01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
If they can produce a smoking gun, they probably will not need to impeach him. He will resign.
But if they cannot prove that he knew about it, then this will turn into nothing.

And if somebody flips on him; but can't prove it?

Lucille
01-13-2014, 01:41 PM
http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/01/13/stronger-than-this-shitstorm/

Chris Christie, Governor of America’s Armpit, had Bridgegate last week and it looks like it is going to get worse this week. They are investigating whether he used Sandy Relief Funds for tourism ads.
[...]
The Stronger than the Storm ads were a crock of shit, I don’t think I made it through an entire commercial because I would change the channel or turn the teevee off within the first 5 secs it was on. In my opinion these were blatant tourism ads trying to build up how great Noo Joisee is (lol). The ad even says “plan your trip today” at the end. If Sandy Relief funds went to this ad then it is pretty cut and dry. And if it didn’t, how the hell does NJ get money from the Feddies (stolen from people throughout the US) for beach house relief so the state can use their “regular funds” to put out this crap.
[...]
Funny how this wasn’t an issue until after the Fort Lee Scandal. When it rains, it pours. My question is, which higher up official did the Round Mound piss off to have this firestorm fall on him?
CNN exclusive: Feds investigating Christie’s use of Sandy relief funds

By Chris Frates, CNN Investigative Correspondent
UPDATED: 06:29 AM EST 01.13.14

Just days after dismissing two top advisers for their roles in the George Washington Bridge scandal, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is facing questions over the use of Superstorm Sandy relief funds.

CNN has learned that federal officials are investigating whether Christie improperly used those relief funds to produce tourism ads that starred him and his family.

The news couldn’t come at a worse time for the scandal-plagued Republican, who is facing two probes into whether his staff tied up traffic near the country’s busiest bridge to punish a Democratic mayor who refused to endorse his successful re-election bid.

N.J. Democratic legislator: ‘I do believe laws have been broken’

If the Sandy inquiry finds any wrongdoing, it could prove even more damaging to Christie’s national ambitions. His performance during and after the superstorm has been widely praised and is a fundamental part of his straight-shooting political brand.

In the new probe, federal auditors will examine New Jersey’s use of $25 million in Sandy relief funds for a marketing campaign to promote tourism at the Jersey Shore after Sandy decimated the state’s coastline in late 2012, New Jersey Democratic Rep. Frank Pallone told CNN

In an August letter, Pallone asked the Department of Housing and Urban Development inspector general to look into how Christie chose to spend the marketing money approved by the department.

Neither the governor’s office nor the inspector general’s office has replied to CNN’s request for comment on the investigation...

Related (http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?extend.5757): From the New York Post: Why Bridgegate made headlines but Obama’s IRS scandal didn’t And a related news item American Thinker: Christie scandal coverage: 17 times more stories in one day than 6 months of Obama IRS intimidation coverage

FrankRep
01-13-2014, 02:33 PM
SQUEAL: Says White House approved Jersey Shore ads...
http://o.dailycaller.com/all/2014-01-13-christie-office-obama-administration-approved-jersey-shore-tv-ads

specsaregood
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
./

FrankRep
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Well I guess that makes it ok. :rolleyes:
Makes things more complicated. Christie can hide behind Obama.

angelatc
01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
And if somebody flips on him; but can't prove it?

I don't know! If only one person makes the claim, I would hope that would not be enough to get him impeached just on the sake of principle. But if several people cave....then yeah, impeach and/or recall him is the answer.

I can't believe that so many people in the upper levels of his cabinet thought this was a great idea, even after he denounced it, but he didn't have a clue?

angelatc
01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Makes things more complicated. Christie can hide behind Obama.

The image that comes to mind.... (I)

Murray N Rothbard
01-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Part of me wants him to survive as a liberal RINO strawman that can be more easily defeated by Paul/Cruz.

Suzanimal
01-14-2014, 08:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jtMi6oa.png