PDA

View Full Version : Big Idea, maybe too big.

CasualApathy
06-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Edit.

militant
06-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Aside from the massive amount of work needed to even get it functional, there's this problem:

If we're all congregating on a main site, like say if RP's campaign site had message boards or social networking functions... then others don't see us. We're only interacting with each other.

The fact that we're spread all over a bunch of major public forums like myspace, digg, and the others, is extremely helpful to our cause. It gets our ideas and the Ron Paul name and links and videos and news out there to the public. Hundreds and maybe thousands of new people per day are coming across RP because of the public forums. I think we would lessen our public exposure if we hunkered down on one central site.

CasualApathy
06-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Aside from the massive amount of work needed to even get it functional, there's this problem:

If we're all congregating on a main site, like say if RP's campaign site had message boards or social networking functions... then others don't see us. We're only interacting with each other.

Yea, well i kind of expect a site like the one i described to become huge, not only among RP supporters.

nayjevin
06-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Potentially brilliant idea -- I see the power of this.

I particularly like the idea of using video-conferencing. If it got big enough, politicians who did not use the site would be looked down upon by voters. It could destroy the corporate/media power structure. Unless it were purchased by the Hearst corp, that is. Perhaps making the whole thing a wiki would defend against this?

My additional thoughts:
-Internet TV -- news programs by the people, instead of fed to it
-Internet Radio -- no more Hannity/Rush monopoly

Potential troubles:
-non-profit? if there is profit, where does it go? how to defend against censorship of certain ideas by owners/stockholders?

-getting capable people to work on the site at the beginning, with no incentive other than volunteerism (this is not at all impossible -- people are passionate, just look at RP -- just a hurdle)

you might look into www.libertyforum.org

the idea of this forum was to have it controlled by it's members, and the rules made by the members, a sort of anarchic creation of the forum. moderators are pretty much active members who want to be moderators. The rule-making decisions and censorship struggles they have gone through are valuable lessons for something like this, I would think.

Certainly post here if this idea gains any traction. I don't have the real expert skills, but I do have some. in fact, PM me to make sure we have each other's email.

constituent14
06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I've kinda given this some thought myself. Regarding political activism here is what I envision...

Just as C-Span exists now, a network could be setup allowing for all committee meetings to be "televised" or "netizend" live, the same would exist for the larger meetings of both the house and senate. With the proper site, people could log in based on their state and district allowing for constituents to feedback with their representatives in real time. When a recorded vote is called for, time could be allotted for all those caring enough to be logged on to vote in the positive or affirmative. Then (almost electoral college stylie) the senators and representatives would have to look at the results as their voters see it and make their decision as to which direction they will vote. The site could maintain a log of the voters decisions side by side with their elected representative. Part American Idol, part participatory democracy.

On the social networking front, forums could be maintained on any number of human interests from science and tech, to literature and philosophy, or whatever one might be interested in. In this manner one could not only help advance human society on a daily basis, but one could also look around at the rest of the world and get informed on other perspectives. The benefits of this type of network to the legislative process would be phenomenal...

and I know, we can call it

electronicrenaissance.com

I'd be willing to help... any takers?