PDA

View Full Version : What It's Like When The FBI Asks You To Backdoor Your Software

Brian4Liberty
01-10-2014, 03:57 PM
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security/319544-what-it-s-like-when-the-fbi-asks-you-to-backdoor-your-software

At a recent RSA Security Conference, Nico Sell was on stage announcing that her company—Wickr—was making drastic changes to ensure its users' security. She said that the company would switch from RSA encryption to elliptic curve encryption, and that the service wouldn't have a backdoor for anyone.

As she left the stage, before she'd even had a chance to take her microphone off, a man approached her and introduced himself as an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He then proceeded to "casually" ask if she'd be willing to install a backdoor into Wickr that would allow the FBI to retrieve information.

DamianTV
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
... Sell pointed to a BlackHat event where Thomas Cross demonstrated how to break into lawful intercept machines—or wiretaps. "It was very clear that a backdoor for the good guys is always a backdoor for the bad guys." ...

And there in lies one of many dangers of a Total Surveillance Panopticon.

coastie
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
What It's Like When The FBI Asks You To Backdoor Your Software

:eek:

I don't know about y'all, but if they're only asking to "backdoor my softwares", I think I'd politely decline, and GTFO.

:toady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oShTJ90fC34

Matt Collins
01-10-2014, 10:31 PM
The government "backdooring" people? I can't imagine :rolleyes:

angelatc
01-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Though she didn't budge for the agent, Sell makes it clear that surveillance and security is a complicated issue. "Ten years ago, I'd have said yes," said Sell. "Because if law enforcement asks you to catch bad guys, who wouldn't want to help?"

Maybe sentiment is changing. But if that is true, then the government will start to bully corporations that won't cooperate. Audits every year, no government contracts, legistation and licensing snafus.

It isnt ever going to get better.

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Maybe sentiment is changing. But if that is true, then the government will start to bully corporations that won't cooperate. Audits every year, no government contracts, legistation and licensing snafus.

It isnt ever going to get better.

Government already bullies business. No doubt about that.

kpitcher
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
the article didn't say if she gave a very vocal and emphatic NO! that the crowd could hear. I like how she lectured him, would have been hilarious if the crowd could have listened in.

DamianTV
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
What I always hated was the Corporate Mentality of the US Govt.

By being a US Citizen, you hereby agree to the Terms and Conditions of the US Govt, Inc.

Section 1: You hereby agree that you are the Property of US Govt, Inc. and any changes made to your priviledges may be done so without your knowledge or concent.

Section 2: If you own a Company, that Company is considered also considered to be the Property of US Govt, Inc. You agree that by owning a company, you will comply with any demands made by US Govt, Inc. or its subsidiaries. Any demands made by US Govt, Inc. must be fully complied with.

Section 3: You are still responsible for Compliance and Consequences with ANY and ALL demands made by US Govt, Inc. regardless if the demands made by US Govt, Inc. are Illegal, Unlawful, or Unconstitutional.

Section 4: US Govt, Inc. will not be held accountable for any demands it makes for you to conduct an Illegal, Unlawful, or Unconstitution action.

Section 5: You will be held fully accountable for any conduct that is deemed to be Illegal, Unlawful, or Unconstitutional, even if the conduct is done to remain in accordacne with the Compliance Requirement to US Govt, Inc. in Section 3.

Matt Collins
01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_ilymWo4s