PDA

View Full Version : When Good People Do Nothing: The Appalling Story of South Carolina's Prisons

Anti Federalist
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Maybe the Vidal family is better off, better dead than subjected to this.

When Good People Do Nothing: The Appalling Story of South Carolina's Prisons

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/when-good-people-do-nothing-the-appalling-story-of-south-carolinas-prisons/282938/?google_editors_picks=true

In two months, America will observe the 50th anniversary of one of its most dubious moments. On March 13, 1964, Catherine "Kitty" Genovese was brutally murdered in Queens, New York. What made her case infamous—legendary, even—was that nobody responded to her cries for help. "Please help me, please help me!" she cried, over and over, and at least 38 people in her neighborhood who heard those cries did nothing to help her. They did not call the police. They did not come to comfort her. They did not, they later said, want to get involved. "When good people do nothing" is a timeless moral question, indeed.

One could say the same thing about the citizens of the state of South Carolina, who stand condemned today by one of their own. On Wednesday, in one of the most wrenching opinions you will ever read, a state judge in Columbia ruled that South Carolina prison officials were culpable of pervasive, systemic, unremitting violations of the state's constitution by abusing and neglecting mentally ill inmates. The judge, Michael Baxley, a decorated former legislator, called it the "most troubling" case he ever had seen and I cannot disagree. Read the ruling. It's heartbreaking.

The evidence is now sadly familiar to anyone who follows these cases: South Carolina today mistreats these ill people without any evident traces of remorse. Even though there are few disputed material issues of law or fact in the case, even though the judge implored the state to take responsibility for its conduct, South Carolina declared before the sun had set Wednesday that it would appeal the ruling—and thus likely doom the inmates to years more abuse and neglect. That's not just "deliberate indifference," the applicable legal standard in these prison abuse cases. That is immoral.

Those are the antiseptic words judges often use to describe unconstitutional conditions. What do they mean? They mean that one mentally ill inmate, James Wilson, was kept in solitary confinement for at least 2,491 consecutive days. It means that an intellectually disabled (and schizophrenic) man named Jerome Laudman was abused and neglected, and then left to rot in his own feces and vomit, until he died of a heart attack. It means that force was used 81 times on a severely mentally ill inmate named James Howard. It means that some mentally ill inmates were restrained at length in what they called a "crucifix position."

It means some mentally ill prisoners were "routinely placed" naked "in shower stalls, 'rec cages', interview booths, and holding cells for hours and even days at a time." It means that suicidal prisoners who were supposed to be receiving anti-psychotic medication were not receiving them. No surprise, the judge wrote, since SCDC's "computer system cannot retrieve the names or numbers of all inmates referred" for mental health treatment, "the number of inmates who have made serious suicide attempts; or the number of inmates whose psychotropic medications have expired without being timely renewed."

Christian Liberty
01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Wow. That seems like the sort of thing I'd expect in a concentration camp. I actually had to remind myself I was reading about South Carolina and not a historical piece on Germany in the 1940's.

Absolutely horrifying.

phill4paul
01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Isolated. A few bad one's. Things like this don't happen often.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/7-la-sheriff-deputies-arrested-fbi-jail-probe-article-1.1542319

tod evans
01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
It's to the point that if a LEO looks at you wrong a fellow's better of drawing his weapon then and there than subjecting himself to this perversion of "Just-US'....

donnay
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Wow. That seems like the sort of thing I'd expect in a concentration camp. I actually had to remind myself I was reading about South Carolina and not a historical piece on Germany in the 1940's.

Absolutely horrifying.

This country and it's hijacked government have surpassed Nazi's by leaps and bounds. :(

DamianTV
01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
This country and it's hijacked government have surpassed Nazi's by leaps and bounds. :(

Sadly, I must agre.

The US has set the standard by which all other Totalitarian Societies will be judged by for a thousand years.

I highly doubt that residents of other countries look at their own governments with Star Spangled loyalty. They all know that their govts have once been completely corrupt, collapsed, and do not share the blind optimism that so many in the US still have today. So many people tell me this is just "a bump in the road", "we'll get better, just wait", and "oh, things aren't that bad". So many indications of their eyes being open, but they are blinded by what ever emotional state happens to occupy their busy little worker ant consumer brains at the time. Shit, my own parents tell me that everything is just fine because all their 401k stocks have "recovered", and hound me for not finding a job. They dont believe that there are NO jobs out there worth two squirts of piss.

LibForestPaul
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
I am not a negroe, why should I care. Damn animals get what they deserve.

pcosmar
01-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Sadly, I have never forgotten my prison #.

it is tattooed on my soul. :(

Dianne
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Since Wells Fargo Bank began buying up the prisons, and the correctional officer jobs are outsourced, illegal arrests and abuse have skyrocketed. Not sure if the same case in S.C. or not, but out west there are still tons of black youth in prison for simple pot charges................ when smoking it is now legal !!!!

Anti Federalist
01-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Sadly, I have never forgotten my prison #.

it is tattooed on my soul. :(

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.