PDA

View Full Version : A letter from my state GOP

Sematary
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Run for the State Legislature

Are you interested in improving Connecticut?

Have you ever opened the newspaper, read about what the legislature is doing in Hartford, and started shaking your head in frustration? It is time to do something about it. The Connecticut Republican Party is looking for people interested in running for the State House and the State Senate next year, and you or someone you know may be just what we are looking for.

You already know the facts: there are 107 Democrats and 44 Republicans in the Connecticut House of Representatives, and 24 Democrats, 12 Republicans in the State Senate. The Democrats have the ability, when united, to pass any piece of legislation they desire and then override the Governor's veto. And on a host of important issues - crime & punishment, immigration, and taxation - they are dangerously wrong on what is best for the State of Connecticut.

You may not know that the rules have changed for campaigns. The new 'Citizens Election Program' (CEP), the state's public financing system for elections, means that raising huge sums of money is no longer necessary to wage a competent campaign. A CEP-participating candidate will have $30,000 to run for the State House and $100,000 to run for the State Senate. Instead of worrying about fundraising, you will be able to meet voters, advocate for the Republican agenda, and win the election. The time is now.

Get in touch with the Connecticut Republican Party today, via telephone or e-mail, if you or someone you know is interested in running for office. With hard work and determination, Republicans can retake the majority in Hartford and put our State back on the right track.

Here's the thing - the guy who represents me now in the House of Representatives ran unopposed last time. After spending a semester as an intern in the statehouse, I could see why. I watched his votes a ton of different issues including spending, gay rights, you name it and he voted virtually every time the way I would have. Although a Democrat, his leanings are definitely libertarian. I can't see myself running against him - I actually like him in the position. The other thing is - and this is what bothers me most about the two party system - they want to run just to get a majority OF THEIR PARTY elected, whether or not the best person is doing the job or running for the job.
It's not wonder I am an independent.

seapilot
11-29-2007, 06:54 PM
yes its party loyalty first people second every time.

noxagol
11-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm seriously considering a run at state government here. Right now I am in the stage of trying to convince myself that it won't be a waste of time.

allyinoh
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
What kind of degree do you need to run for state office ? Even at a real local level? I'd be pretty interested in it but don't even know where to start.

Sematary
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
What kind of degree do you need to run for state office ? Even at a real local level? I'd be pretty interested in it but don't even know where to start.

You don't need a degree. At the local level you just need to go out and talk to people.

Johnnybags
11-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Bullshit University, thats all. Sally Struthers can sell you the degree online.

forsmant
11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I plan on running for the legislator in Nebraska in two years. That is when my district is up for re-election.