PDA

View Full Version : Media storm over "submissive" wife comment

VoluntaryAmerican
01-09-2014, 06:14 PM
(CNN) -- "Full House" star Candace Cameron Bure has written a book that is sure to get women talking -- though perhaps not in the way she anticipated.

"Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose," is all about her life as a working wife and mom. But she also includes some information about her marriage to professional hockey player Val Bure. The couple have been married for 17 years and have three children.
Candace Cameron defends 'submissive' role

"I am not a passive person, but I chose to fall into a more submissive role in our relationship because I wanted to do everything in my power to make my marriage and family work," the actress writes in her book.

"The definition I'm using with the word 'submissive' is the biblical definition of that," she said. "So, it is meekness, it is not weakness. It is strength under control, it is bridled strength."

"And, listen, I love that my man is a leader," she said. "I want him to lead and be the head of our family. And those major decisions do fall on him. ... It doesn't mean I don't voice my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. I absolutely do, but it is very difficult to have two heads of authority."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/07/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/candace-cameron-book/

Anti-Neocon
01-09-2014, 06:18 PM
She could choose to live her life as she desires, and describe to others what worked for her. Don't know why there's a "storm" about this.

Legend1104
01-09-2014, 06:24 PM
She could choose to live her life as she desires, and describe to others what worked for her. Don't know why there's a "storm" about this.

Because that is not what liberals believe, and liberals feel that everyone must believe what they believe with no exceptions. That will always be the dividing line between libertarians and liberals.

Cleaner44
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Good for her. She should blast any women that attempt to demean her choice of being submissive to her dominate man.

donnay
01-09-2014, 06:32 PM
I applaud her. I believe exactly the same way.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Uh boy...

specsaregood
01-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Because that is not what liberals believe, and liberals feel that everyone must believe what they believe with no exceptions. That will always be the dividing line between libertarians and liberals.

libertarians don't believe that everyone must believe the way they do? coulda fooled me.

kcchiefs6465
01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
libertarians don't believe that everyone must believe the way they do? coulda fooled me.
That the duopoly should live by a moral code and that it should be known and understood that each is born with inherent rights that cannot be violated without due process, we'd be just fine. Example after example of what it is and has been; I think the "everyone must believe they do" is kind of ill placed considering I'm not the one advocating taking shit from people for what I think are just causes.

Legend1104
01-09-2014, 06:54 PM

What I mean is liberals will try to use the government to force their beliefs on others. Libertarians may believe something is right and want others to believe, but they do not believe in forcing it onto others with the government arm. I may be against gay marriage and I think your wrong if you believe something else and I may try to convince you that you are wrong, but I will never try to force you to believe my way.

jmdrake
01-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Why when I click on this is there an ad for dating Asian women at the bottom of my screen? Of course I have a cousin who married a woman from South Korea. He seems to have done very well for himself. Just sayin'..... (click)

Lucille
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Me too, donnay.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Books with this exact thing come around every few years. Publisher aggressively promotes book. Conservetards "debate" libtards on TV. TV makes a lot of money. Publisher increases sales. Conservetards and libtards buy more cable subscriptions and argue on forums. Advertisers make more money. The wheel will spin the same way next time.

fr33
01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Omg how dare she decide to live how she sees fit. This act of non-aggression will not stand, man.

Dr.3D
01-09-2014, 07:22 PM
It's not a new concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41HMCxtMiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqfpkTTy2w

Ephesians 5:22-23 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Colossians 3:18-19 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

Brian4Liberty
01-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Just an old biblical prescription to reduce household fighting. It's equivalent to another old prescription for men which says that the answer is always "yes, dear". Bottom line, don't be argumentative, stubborn or selfish. Don't make marriage a battle that needs to be won.

Brett85
01-09-2014, 07:36 PM
After looking at some pictures of Candace Cameron now, she looks absolutely nothing like she did on Full House. She looks like a completely different person. I typed her in on Google and didn't even recognize her until I saw pictures of her when she was younger. And "looking different" in this case is a very good thing. Not that she was bad looking in the Full House days, but now? Wow.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
http://www.topdesignmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/vintage-women-ads-28.jpg

http://editorial.designtaxi.com/news-adsexist1507/1.jpg

http://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/crediticanhasinternets.jpeg%3Fw%3D584%26h%3D399

Anti Federalist
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
http://qvcceng101.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/chase_and_sanborn_ad1.jpg

Anti Federalist
01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/30/article-0-16B0E785000005DC-834_964x1231.jpg

PaulConventionWV
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM

We're talking about moral decisions that do not affect us here. That's the difference. Liberals think that everyone should have the same moral values and standards that they do with no exceptions even if it doesn't have any effect on them. Libertarians think everyone should agree with them on how people cooperate in society because it affects everyone, including them.

bunklocoempire
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
And husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church.
The husband crucified/sacrificed never seems to get mentioned when talking about the roles of husband/wife.;)

One doesn't work without the other.:) Leave one of those out and of course there'll be a "storm".

PaulConventionWV
01-09-2014, 08:08 PM
It's not a new concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41HMCxtMiE

No shit. Where have you been?

Dr.3D
01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
No shit. Where have you been?
Two tours of duty in the west pacific.

cjm
01-09-2014, 08:59 PM

The "American Woman" in that song is the statue of liberty.

Miss Annie
01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
The husband crucified/sacrificed never seems to get mentioned when talking about the roles of husband/wife.;)

One doesn't work without the other.:) Leave one of those out and of course there'll be a "storm".

^^ This ^^..... And a big fat Amen! :)

Dr.3D
01-09-2014, 09:21 PM
The "American Woman" in that song is the statue of liberty.
:D
Don't look at me, I only spin the vinyl.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
I think the Guess Who injected a slight element of slyness when talking about the meaning of American Woman. But the best song writers do that anyway. It's often better not to give a direct answer when somebody asks, "What did you mean by those lyrics?"

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-09-2014, 09:42 PM
http://qvcceng101.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/chase_and_sanborn_ad1.jpg

I like that woman's look of satisfaction. Yeah, "pressure packed."

Hmmm, now where did I put that coffee filter?

NewRightLibertarian
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Didn't you see the SPLC intelligence report? Anyone with traditional values is a klansman these days.

kahless
01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
I think the Guess Who injected a slight element of slyness when talking about the meaning of American Woman. But the best song writers do that anyway. It's often better not to give a direct answer when somebody asks, "What did you mean by those lyrics?"

Sounds like he had no idea what he was saying and got lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woman_%28song%29

In an interview with music journalist Ray Shasho on July 16, 2013, for examiner.com, Burton Cummings stated this about the true origin of "American Woman" ..."It was jammed onstage one night in Mississauga, Ontario, we were playing at a club called the Broom & Stone which was actually a curling rink and doing two shows that night. Between the two shows, I was outside bartering with this kid, he had some old Gene Vincent records that I wanted to get for my collection and tried to strike-up a deal with this guy. The next thing I know,it’s time to start the second show and the other three guys have gone back onstage and I hear them start this riff … I said to this guy, Oh my God; I’m supposed to be onstage man, I’ve got to run, I’ll see you later about these Gene Vincent records. I run inside and run up onto the stage and just grab a microphone and started singing whatever came into my head; it was all stream of consciousness at the moment stuff … all that stuff about war machines and ghetto scenes, colored lights can hypnotize …it was all just spur-of-the-moment. And nobody would have ever heard it again but there happened to be a kid bootlegging the show that night.This was way back in the 60’s and he had a cassette machine, and those machines were a relatively new invention at that time. But this was 1968, forty-five years ago. We noticed this onstage as the night went on and he still kept recording. So we motioned to our road manager, go get that tape,go get that tape! He got the cassette tape and we listened to it later and heard this jam about American Woman stay away from me. So we actually kind of learned it from that tape, otherwise nobody would have ever heard it again. So talk about a Cinderella story. And that was a monstrous hit record for us; it was number one on Billboard for three weeks. So it was all an accident, I guess the music gods were smiling on us. The music gods probably sent that kid with the cassette machine.

The song's lyrics have been the matter of some debate, often interpreted as an attack on U.S. politics (especially the draft). Jim Kale, the group's bassist and the song's co-author, explained his take on the lyrics:

The popular misconception was that it was a chauvinistic tune, which was anything but the case. The fact was, we came from a very strait-laced, conservative, laid-back country, and all of a sudden, there we were in Chicago, Detroit, New York – all these horrendously large places with their big city problems. After that one particularly grinding tour, it was just a real treat to go home and see the girls we had grown up with. Also, the war was going on, and that was terribly unpopular. We didn't have a draft system in Canada, and we were grateful for that. A lot of people called it anti-American, but it wasn't really. We weren't anti-anything. John Lennon once said that the meanings of all songs come after they are recorded. Someone else has to interpret them.[

FloralScent
01-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Very well put.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Sounds like he had no idea what he was saying and got lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Woman_%28song%29

Now that you mention it--it sort of does sound like an ad lib song.

I love a good songwriting story. Heard that Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 is about one of the band members waking up and maybe being high or something. He looks at the clock and does not know if it's 25 minutes 'til 4 o'clock or 6 minutes 'til 4 o'clock. Now, I'd have to say that you have to be plenty high not to distinguish those two times. Maybe 6 'til four could look like 20 minutes past 11 or something like that, but all bets must be off when you're coming out of a sleep anyway.

I'll have to look at our clock in the living room to check on that. Plus, the thing needs to be reset anyway. It 50 minutes fast, but I can still figure out when Perry Mason is ending without knowing it's 22 past the hour.

And I never did like those damn digital clocks. Too precise for my taste.

jclay2
01-09-2014, 11:09 PM
What I can not stand in the media is the constant attack on male leadership. I personally can't stand how they say that leadership and decisions in relationships are 50 50. Someone has to lead and it is the man. We were designed to fulfill this role and leading does not imply domination. End rant.

coastie
01-09-2014, 11:25 PM
What I can not stand in the media is the constant attack on male leadership. I personally can't stand how they say that leadership and decisions in relationships are 50 50. Someone has to lead and it is the man. We were designed to fulfill this role and leading does not imply domination. End rant.

Yep. Seen some of the prime time shows on TV over the last 2 decades? The focus seems to be on divorced, single mothers, no father in sight. Very few shows with single divorced dads with custody of the kids.

When there is a marriage in the script, it's usually dis functional.

When the woman has an affair - it's because the man wasn't doing enough for her, or ignored her, or whatever.

When the man has an affair - he's a fucking scuzz ball man whore, and had no reason to cheat.

Never a focus on the fact that YOU SHOULDN'T BE HAVING FUCKING AFFAIRS WHEN YOU"RE MARRIED, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PATHETIC EXCUSE IS.

James Madison
01-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Why when I click on this is there an ad for dating Asian women at the bottom of my screen? Of course I have a cousin who married a woman from South Korea. He seems to have done very well for himself. Just sayin'..... (click)

There's an add for what looks to be Ukrainian brides at the bottom of this thread. Hmmmm....

Danke
01-09-2014, 11:40 PM

Uh boy...

lol

Anti Federalist
01-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Isn't she great?

Kisses*

Love ya babe.

I<3Liberty
01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't have a problem with this if that's what they like, but I don't like when complementarian couples blame other couple's refusal of such ways for failed marriages. There's a great deal of successful egalitarian Christian couples out there, as well. http://www.cbeinternational.org (http://www.cbeinternational.org/)

While I'm egalitarian, I do have to defend the complementarian peeps, as the general public often doesn't understand complementarianism and makes it sound like some terrible patriarchal mess, but that's not necessarily the truth. Complementarians can range from couples that like completely segregated roles and expectations (by mutual choice) while others are almost like egalitarians.

People need to learn to live and let live.

Cap
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Why is there an issue being made about this? It's getting even easier to spot them as time goes by. Simply a wedge issue.

Athan
01-10-2014, 09:20 AM
(CNN) -- "Full House" star Candace Cameron Bure has written a book that is sure to get women talking -- though perhaps not in the way she anticipated.

"Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose," is all about her life as a working wife and mom. But she also includes some information about her marriage to professional hockey player Val Bure. The couple have been married for 17 years and have three children.
Candace Cameron defends 'submissive' role

"I am not a passive person, but I chose to fall into a more submissive role in our relationship because I wanted to do everything in my power to make my marriage and family work," the actress writes in her book.

"The definition I'm using with the word 'submissive' is the biblical definition of that," she said. "So, it is meekness, it is not weakness. It is strength under control, it is bridled strength."

"And, listen, I love that my man is a leader," she said. "I want him to lead and be the head of our family. And those major decisions do fall on him. ... It doesn't mean I don't voice my opinion. It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. I absolutely do, but it is very difficult to have two heads of authority."
Well I wish I had her as my wife.

donnay
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Isn't she great?

Kisses*

Love ya babe.

She is. Unfortunately it is in the minority these days. :(

The brainwashing of Feminist movements, Madison Avenue and Hollywood have really taken a toll on our country.

The reason it is making news, I suppose, is: TPTB have almost succeeded in reversing chivalry and tribal instincts, that men have been hardwired with throughout the centuries--in their arrogance they make sure to castigate anyone who would step out of the box and bring attention to these things.

jmdrake
01-10-2014, 09:27 AM

Well to be fair they interviewed the wife in this case. I doubt she'd be happily submissive if her husband and figured out the other part. The whole "promisekeeper movement" was about that.

Snew
01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I don't have a problem with this if that's what they like, but I don't like when complementarian couples blame other couple's refusal of such ways for failed marriages. There's a great deal of successful egalitarian Christian couples out there, as well. http://www.cbeinternational.org (http://www.cbeinternational.org/)

While I'm egalitarian, I do have to defend the complementarian peeps, as the general public often doesn't understand complementarianism and makes it sound like some terrible patriarchal mess, but that's not necessarily the truth. Complementarians can range from couples that like completely segregated roles and expectations (by mutual choice) while others are almost like egalitarians.

People need to learn to live and let live.

Exactly!

Brian4Liberty
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
The reason it is making news,

Is that it's the latest false left/right, Democrat/Republican, divide and conquer election strategy.

Considering the number of threads we have on gender wars lately, either people are taking the bait, or we have operatives in our midst.

donnay
01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Is that it's the latest false left/right, Democrat/Republican, divide and conquer election strategy.

Considering the number of threads we have on gender wars lately, either people are taking the bait, or we have operatives in our midst.

I think it is a divide and conquer that has been going on for a while.

Brian4Liberty
01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I think it is a divide and conquer that has been going on for a while.

On and off. It has ramped up in the last couple of years, probably in anticipation of a Hillary run.

Dr.3D
01-10-2014, 02:17 PM
On and off. It has ramped up in the last couple of years, probably in anticipation of a Hillary run.
Yes, and then when you disagree with her as president, you will be labeled a sexist.

tod evans
01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
How a couple chooses to structure their relationship is entirely up to them.

I've never known anybody in a cookie cutter relationship and I sincerely hope I never do..

Brian4Liberty
01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Yes, and then when you disagree with her as president, you will be labeled a sexist.

Absolutely. And by then, she will probably come out of the closet as a bisexual or lesbian, so if you disagree with her on anything you are both sexist and guilty of hate-crime.

erowe1
01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I love how they manufacture controversy. They want to write about how so many people are talking about these comments. Only the problem is, nobody is. So they write an article trying to get them to.

Dr.3D
01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
I love how they manufacture controversy. They want to write about how so many people are talking about these comments. Only the problem is, nobody is. So they write an article trying to get them to.
That's why it's a media storm. Nobody else is talking about it.

asurfaholic
01-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Just an old biblical prescription to reduce household fighting. It's equivalent to another old prescription for men which says that the answer is always "yes, dear". Bottom line, don't be argumentative, stubborn or selfish. Don't make marriage a battle that needs to be won.

No, I think it goes much deeper than that. It's a blueprint for marraige. The husband is to be the leader of the house, and he is to submit to God's will, lead his family in according to God's plan.

It's not a bandaid to fix stubborn marriages, its part of what you are signing up for when you engage in a biblical marraige.

As for me, I am lacking somewhat, my wife tends to be the leader, but I am everyday trying to overcome the things that are holding me back from being a spiritual leader, and my wife would love to finally step back and be the wife she deserves to be.

erowe1
01-10-2014, 02:26 PM
No, I think it goes much deeper than that. It's a blueprint for marraige. The husband is to be the leader of the house, and he is to submit to God's will, lead his family in according to God's plan.

It's not a bandaid to fix stubborn marriages, its part of what you are signing up for when you engage in a biblical marraige.

As for me, I am lacking somewhat, my wife tends to be the leader, but I am everyday trying to overcome the things that are holding me back from being a spiritual leader, and my wife would love to finally step back and be the wife she deserves to be.

+rep

AuH20
01-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Given where we are headed as a society, women are going to need those men more than ever. The fembot party is over.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530741/Theres-no-room-MANLY-Controversial-feminist-writer-Camille-Paglia-speaks-against-loss-masculine-virtues-negative-impact-society.html

acptulsa
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Or, to put it another way, liberals will tell a submissive woman she's wrong, and doing a disservice to every woman in the world, and try to change her, and try to break up her marriage, and do their best to make her unhappy. Yet when they encounter a dominant woman and a submissive man making it work they will stand and applaud.

And they will call this 'being fair' and 'promoting equality' and 'fighting sexism' and 'trying to eliminate double standards' and 'promoting freedom' and 'tolerance'.

I<3Liberty
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM
She is. Unfortunately it is in the minority these days. :(

The brainwashing of Feminist movements, Madison Avenue and Hollywood have really taken a toll on our country.

The reason it is making news, I suppose, is: TPTB have almost succeeded in reversing chivalry and tribal instincts, that men have been hardwired with throughout the centuries--in their arrogance they make sure to castigate anyone who would step out of the box and bring attention to these things.

Now you're doing exactly what the media did. You didn't like that they opposed complementarian lifestyles, but then you go on to push your own beliefs as the only right way and accuse male-submissive or mutually submissive (egalitarian) ways of taking a toll on the country. :rolleyes:

Tribal instinct is something all humans (as well as many other non-human animals) are hard-wired with; the media cannot undo years of evolution in a few articles and crappy sitcoms. :rolleyes: Also, chivalry isn't an instinct; chivalry was culturally created and has changed from being a French military code of conduct to a list of knightly virtues, and then gendered expectations for kindness.

BTW, I don't agree with some of the female chauvinistic extremes of the feminist movement, but not all feminists are like that and some are essentially egalitarian in ideology, but call themselves "feminists".

Or, to put it another way, liberals will tell a submissive woman she's wrong, and doing a disservice to every woman in the world, and try to change her, and try to break up her marriage, and do their best to make her unhappy. Yet when they encounter a dominant woman and a submissive man making it work they will stand and applaud.

And they will call this 'being fair' and 'promoting equality' and 'fighting sexism' and 'trying to eliminate double standards' and 'promoting freedom' and 'tolerance'.

Not all liberals do this. I know many egalitarian and egalitarian-feminist (not female chauvinist) liberals that would not applaud such things.

VoluntaryAmerican
01-11-2014, 08:09 AM
That's why it's a media storm. Nobody else is talking about it.

I'm glad somebody got the name. :D

moostraks
01-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Ain't that the truth! I have found my success in this marriage is based upon finding someone I can trust and have given him the respect and trust to make the final decision but I make sure to give him my input. He in turn loves his family and respects me enough to do all he can to put everyone's needs into the consideration then he tries to defer to me where I will implement his suggestions. So we lobby things back and forth but ultimately one person has to move forward and I respect his less emotional analysis as the final say. It is a complex pattern to how things are tackled but boils down to if there are two competing egos no one will win.

I can see in the future this being aggressively propagandized against in Common Core lest any little progeny of the backwards believers (/sarc) may wish to think their parent's success in marriage is based upon this principle. They will be taught that loyalty is only proper if it is to the state and one may only be successful if they submit to the will of the state not the will, and for the good of, their union in marriage and God.

donnay
01-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Now you're doing exactly what the media did. You didn't like that they opposed complementarian lifestyles, but then you go on to push your own beliefs as the only right way and accuse male-submissive or mutually submissive (egalitarian) ways of taking a toll on the country. :rolleyes:

Tribal instinct is something all humans (as well as many other non-human animals) are hard-wired with; the media cannot undo years of evolution in a few articles and crappy sitcoms. :rolleyes: Also, chivalry isn't an instinct; chivalry was culturally created and has changed from being a French military code of conduct to a list of knightly virtues to double standards, and later on, gendered expectations for kindness.

BTW, I don't agree with some of the female chauvinistic extremes of the feminist movement, but not all feminists are like that and some are essentially egalitarian in ideology, but call themselves "feminists".

I forgot to factor in to the equation the Bisphenols that are in almost everything is lowering men's testosterone levels as well. Basically feminizing the men.

References:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100825191654.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651625
http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Safety-Regulation/Bisphenol-A-alters-male-testosterone-levels-claims-breakthrough-study
http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/PublicHealth/12767

Nirvikalpa
01-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I forgot to factor in to the equation the Bisphenols that are in almost everything is lowering men's testosterone levels as well. Basically feminizing the men.

References:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100825191654.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651625
http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Safety-Regulation/Bisphenol-A-alters-male-testosterone-levels-claims-breakthrough-study
http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/PublicHealth/12767

I thought it was the feminists ruining manhood as we know it?

----

I couldn't care less how a woman chooses to live her life, but the keyword there is 'choose.' It's not within my knowledge (or right) to tell someone how to live or what would be best for their marriage, life, what-have-you. The wonderful thing about individuality is people can all be different, support different roles, do different things, and amazingly we all can coexist - although that seems a lot harder for some.