PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Man gets 35 years for shooting police dog

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/01/07/Man-gets-35-years-for-shooting-police-dog/UPI-82591389133622/

COLUMBIA, S.C., (UPI) -- A South Carolina man who killed a police dog during a gunfight and chase has pleaded guilty and will serve 35 years in prison, officials said.

Maurice McCreary, 24, admitted he fired a half-dozen shots at officers who were pursuing him after an armed robbery Dec. 16, 2011. No officers were hit but Fargo, who along with a large contingent of police was chasing McCreary.

When Fargo caught up to McCreary the dog bit him and latched on. As McCreary tried to run away he shot at the animal. Fargo survived long enough to make it to an emergency veterinarian but died later that night.

Kotin
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
this irony honestly is too much for me..

jesus christ.

EBounding
01-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Would getting a dog vest that says POLICE be a wise investment? Or would my dog be arrested/executed for posing as a police officer?

Icymudpuppy
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I've said it over and over again. Dogs are helpless against a man without fear. Fucking pigs sent the dog in without backup, they deserve to be tried for animal abuse.

VoluntaryAmerican
01-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Killing a dog and getting 35 years is fucking nuts.

OH... the dog was property of our rulers... the state... now it makes sense.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Killing a dog and getting 35 years is fucking nuts.

To be fair, he would have gotten a long time in prison for the armed robbery, fleeing police and shooting at police. It's insane though that they would tack on more years in prison for shooting a dog biting his leg, anyone would have done that. Especially when you consider that there have been stories of officers leaving their police dogs in cars during hot summer days, and them dying, and the cops in those situations never have anything happen to them.

aGameOfThrones
01-09-2014, 02:42 PM
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 02:45 PM
"Who did he have that gun drawn for?" Cavanagh asked. "Yes, there was a dog that was killed, but he was killed doing his job and that was protecting these officers that night."

Of course when another dog does its job defending its home/owner/property from police raiders, well...

HOLLYWOOD
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
So much for the 8th Amendment and look for more harm by citizens who know the repercussions ahead of time and more INSECURITY for the innocent, which reciprocates into even more of a POLICE STATE. It's going to come to the point, that you have nothing to lose. Your Statist JUST-US PRISON system... since they're going to rubberstamp you away. In Scandinavia nations, the rehabilitation rate is like 80%, in the US, 20%, there's the great con job on American society, perpetual funding/financing of PRISON-POLICE state. The Sheep will approve of the statist propaganda, even as society continues to separate and decline.

Washingtion DC, "Let's get that 'Soylent Green' Amnesty Bill passed ASAP!"

Gerald Celente, "When people lose everything, they lose it."

Danke
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I know we have a lot of dog lovers here, but really, it is just a fucking dog.

jj-
01-09-2014, 03:49 PM

+2

aGameOfThrones
01-09-2014, 03:57 PM

It's not just a fucking dog... it's a police dog.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

It's a living creature that people usually get as babies, raise them, train them, feed them, love them and bond with them. Humans' symbiotic relationship with dogs goes back a long time. To anyone else, it may very well be "just a dog", but to the owner, it's a hell of a lot more.

This is worse than saying "it's just a f***ing car" to someone who is broken up after their vehicle was stolen.

Matthew5
01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Misleading headline is misleading.

He was sentenced to five concurrent 30-year terms for the attempted murder charges and an additional five years for killing the police dog, to be served after he completes the attempted murder sentences.

Danke
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
It's a living creature that people usually get as babies, raise them, train them, feed them, love them and bond with them. Humans' symbiotic relationship with dogs goes back a long time. To anyone else, it may very well be "just a dog", but to the owner, it's a hell of a lot more.

This is worse than saying "it's just a f***ing car" to someone who is broken up after their vehicle was stolen.

OK, it is just a government goddam fucking dog. I'm sure the trainers are sad. I doubt the prosecutors or judge give a fuck.

Pericles
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
After the first one, the rest are free.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

/thread

VoluntaryAmerican
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM

So in your opinion which is closer to the proper punishment for shooting someone's dog?

5 years ... ?

or

A fine ... ?

DamianTV
01-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Thats exactly the mentality the cops have when they shoot our dogs. But if we shoot one of their dogs, its 35 years in the slammer. In all reality, with the inequality of application of the laws, it wouldnt have mattered if it was a fucking Goldfish and still would have resulted in 35 years.

brushfire
01-09-2014, 05:40 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2742492/head-explode-o.gif

Christian Liberty
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
To be fair, he would have gotten a long time in prison for the armed robbery, fleeing police and shooting at police. It's insane though that they would tack on more years in prison for shooting a dog biting his leg, anyone would have done that. Especially when you consider that there have been stories of officers leaving their police dogs in cars during hot summer days, and them dying, and the cops in those situations never have anything happen to them.

I disagree with you on this... in this case (assuming the man is actually guilty of armed robbery, of course.) For the same reason that a police officer who wrongly breaks into someone's house and kills their dog should be held accountable even if the dog protects the property.

So in your opinion which is closer to the proper punishment for shooting someone's dog?

5 years ... ?

or

A fine ... ?

A fine... more specifically, restitution to be paid to the owner.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM

5 years ... ?

or

A fine ... ?

Probably just make it so you could sue them for the cost of the dog and emotional pain.

keh10
01-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Misleading headline is misleading.
He was sentenced to five concurrent 30-year terms for the attempted murder charges and an additional five years for killing the police dog, to be served after he completes the attempted murder sentences.

I'd say 5 years for murdering a dog is fair. The next time some power tripping swat cop breaks into someone's home and shoots the shit out of an innocent dog, I will sleep soundly if he is sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Christian Liberty
01-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Probably just make it so you could sue them for the cost of the dog and emotional pain.

"Emotional pain" is probably not possible to quantify. I pretty much agree with you though. I'd say make it four times the cost of the animal (Plus any attorney fees, and compensation for time wasted in court) and call it even.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
"Emotional pain" is probably not possible to quantify.

Is "pain and suffering", ever?

Christian Liberty
01-09-2014, 06:01 PM
I'd say 5 years for murdering a dog is fair. The next time some power tripping swat cop breaks into someone's home and shoots the shit out of an innocent dog, I will sleep soundly if he is sentenced to 5 years in prison.

My position has always been that the victim should have the right to demand death if anyone commits a crime while in uniform. But as far as penalties go in general, I think compensation works better than prison.

Christian Liberty
01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Is "pain and suffering", ever?

That's a valid point. But, if you go by Stephan Kinsella's estoppel theory (Read this excellent article here: http://mises.org/journals/jls/12_1/12_1_3.pdf), its possible. Say I break your arm. Either you can break my arm, or we can come to an agreement as to a sum of money (or something else) that I have to give you instead. But its really impossible to replicate emotional suffering in an "eye for an eye" context.

osan
01-09-2014, 06:14 PM
OK, let me make sure I have this straight.

If a cop shoots one of my dogs he skates, but if I shoot his dog I go to prison.

Is that about the size of things?

keh10
01-09-2014, 06:18 PM
My position has always been that the victim should have the right to demand death if anyone commits a crime while in uniform. But as far as penalties go in general, I think compensation works better than prison.

Yes, I agree with you about compensation over prison in most circumstances. I only mention prison, because I imagine that a cop's greatest fear is being locked in a cage with other criminals. If most cops genuinely thought they would go to jail for killing someone's dog, I'm sure there would be far less 'incidents.' On the other hand, if the police only have to pay compensation, no fewer dogs will be killed and it will ultimately be the taxpayer footing the bill.

osan
01-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Says you? Bet the dog doesn't feel that way about it.

Someone tries to hurt my dogs or any of my critters, they will be shot. I will ask no questions nor will I hesitate - the same as if they were threatening me, my children, my wife, a friend, a stranger on the street. If I do not have my gun, I will place them in a joint lock and complete the motion, giving them great reason to wish that I had had my gun. Do not fuck with me or mine. If you feel dogs are just dogs, then be warned never to come to my house because if you treat one of my family members with such disregard you will be called to account for your actions by me. And I doubt I will be very charitable. At the very least you will be leaving with a great load in your pants.

Sometimes you write the craziest things.

Philhelm
01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
That's what he gets for poaching the King's dogs.

This country is cartoonish in its retardation.

limequat
01-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Does any body else not feel bad for the dog because he worked for the government?

"When you get into bed with the government..."

Dr.3D
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Do cops get a promotion when they shoot a non-police dog?

limequat
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Next dog that gets shot, the owner should insist the dog was under cover. COP KILLLERS!!!

Brett85
01-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I would say that someone should get 35 years in prison for armed robbery and attempted murder alone. Shooting the police dog was just a 5 year add on, and was probably excessive, but this guy deserves this much prison time for armed robbery and attempted murder.

Christian Liberty
01-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I would say that someone should get 35 years in prison for armed robbery and attempted murder alone. Shooting the police dog was just a 5 year add on, and was probably excessive, but this guy deserves this much prison time for armed robbery and attempted murder.

I don't understand why 35 years specifically, seems kind of arbitrary, but I agree with you. That said, I'm not sure why, if you attempt to commit murder, you should get any kind of a break just because you can't complete the action:p

thoughtomator
01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
I guess it's pretty much official now, you can serve more time for killing a police dog than you can for killing a human being.

Dr.3D
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Mundanes are plentiful but cops are somewhat rare. This is why cops are more valuable than people.
Of course, in my way of thinking, one cop is one too many.

Christian Liberty
01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I guess it's pretty much official now, you can serve more time for killing a police dog than you can for killing a human being.

You mean police dogs aren't people? /sarc