PDA

View Full Version : 100 officers faked disabilities and took federal money

Mani
01-08-2014, 02:32 AM
72 Heroes in blue were faking PSTD and other disabilities and out having fun.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Police-Officers-Firefighter-Disability-Benefits-Scam-238988101.html

More than 100 former police officers, firefighters and other city workers are accused of faking mental disabilities in order to get tens of thousands of dollars in Social Security benefits each year, authorities announced Tuesday.

The former workers who claimed they could barely take care of themselves were, in fact, pursuing activities like jet skiing, fishing, shopping, playing basketball and even working in other jobs, prosecutors said.

One police officer who claimed he was mentally disabled collected over $470,000 in Social Security disability payments while allegedly working as a martial arts instructor, officials said. Another who claimed he could not work was allegedly flying helicopters.

One got benefits because of a fear of crowds and yet was found to be selling cannolis in Little Italy during the Feast of San Gennaro festival that brings more than a million people to the neighborhood. And another went on to allegedly run a private security company.

Many also allegedly claimed to be affected by their efforts on 9/11, yet investigators found many were not even near ground zero that day.

The group accused Tuesday includes 72 former cops, eight former firefighters, five ex-correction officers and one officer from the Nassau County Police Department. But prosecutors say there are hundreds more, and that indictments in this case have just begun. (Continued at the link)

Ronin Truth
01-08-2014, 08:34 AM
As in many other examples, the systems are there to be abused. So why would anyone be surprised when they are abused?

torchbearer
01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
How do i get on this gravy train?

tod evans
01-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Only by getting on your knees before the god of state...

torchbearer
01-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Only by getting on your knees before the god of state...

well, they've had me bent backwards the other way for so long, i guess its time to turn around and receive the gravy/money shot.

tod evans
01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
well, they've had me bent backwards the other way for so long, i guess its time to turn around and receive the gravy/money shot.

Not I thanks anyway...

I'd rather live in a cave and be able to look at myself in a broken piece of mirror....

torchbearer
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Not I thanks anyway...

I'd rather live in a cave and be able to look at myself in a broken piece of mirror....

terrist!@

jct74
01-08-2014, 09:38 AM
lol @ "too depressed to go outside"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQA8iMK2XQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJBEeh6HBw

oyarde
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Not I thanks anyway...

I'd rather live in a cave and be able to look at myself in a broken piece of mirror....Me too , will not take me long to make my cave nice.

Todd
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
So average joes try to scam the sytem. But White Collar fat cats in this city who do the same thing....for MILLIONS still walk the NY streets.......protected by NY city police commissioner Bill Bratton.

JK/SEA
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM

a lawyer. Most get a lump sum at the start depending on years worked and the lawyers get 6% off the top. Then the monthly checks start coming in. Its set up for lawyers, because its damn near impossible to do this yourself. Surprised?

PRB
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
why do we believe the investigators, instead of blame them for accusing actual victims of fraud? Why should we assume the victims are not real?

PRB
01-08-2014, 01:21 PM

there is no gravy train, the government is lying about these poor victims and first responders just because they don't want to pay them the benefits they need. All they have are pictures of them on vacation, as if that's a crime.

Philhelm
01-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Be careful. Their gravy is soooo thick and soooo warm.

Schifference
01-08-2014, 02:43 PM
This didn't happen. Cops do not lie.

PRB
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM

more importantly, disabled people don't lie.

jjdoyle
01-08-2014, 04:26 PM

more importantly, disabled people don't lie.

I wonder if President Obama will be called to testify in their defense? These have got to be examples of exactly why we need to always extend all benefits, no matter what kind.
Unemployment.
Disability.

Nobody games the system, and these charges will be dropped and the cases dismissed promptly. No judge will allow this fraud of a prosecution to continue, on cooked up charges.