PDA

View Full Version : Political landscape Changing? Fred Thompson's answer on Gun Control

CountryboyRonPaul
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
When responding to Giuliani's claim that he is a supporter of the 2nd Amendment Thompson replied,

"The Second Amendment is not a choice thing. I mean, it's in the Constitution of the United States -- that's the protection that the people have against... (unclearly) infringement by the government..."

Now... If you look at the debate transcript on cnn.com, it shows this...

"The Second Amendment is not a choice thing. I mean, it's in the Constitution of the United States -- that's the protection that the people have against...

(Applause)

The case that the mayor refers to is the Washington D.C. case, and they were taking the same position, basically, the mayor took, as far as the city of New York is concerned."

leaving out the part about "infringement by the government"

You can watch this segment of the debate at youtube.com/watch?v=johgObXb_1I

The part I'm referring to is at about 2:50 on the video.

No, I'm not voting for Fred, but has anyone EVER heard a politician state something like this before? Other than Dr. Paul and our founding fathers.

Perhaps it's desperation on Fred's part, but he actually slipped up and told the truth about the 2nd Amendment.

I thought it was interesting that CNN would edit out that part anyway.

rightcoast
11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
This isn't really new from Fred. Don't link me on the Conservatives Against Fred, or GOA links. I am firmly behind Paul, and don't believe for a second Fred is not pandering to the NRA. ;)

I have also heard him say the 2nd amendment is not about hunting, but protecting the people from tyranny as well.

He has an exclusive at most of the gun shows here in Florida.

RickNHouston
11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Does anybody have any doubt about where Freddy boy was headed with his truncated comment to the moderator in response to his being asked whether or not he thought NYC was a "sanctuary city" underJilliani when he said something like ... I think a number of us have been guilty of being associated with or hiring people of questionable background or character... ?

jgmaynard
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM
When they were asked about what kind of guns they owned, who was it that said "Enough to make it interesting if they ever try to come for them?" That was pretty funny. I wish they had asked Ron. I'm curious if he shoots, and what.

JM

Broadlighter
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I started a thread a few days that no one responded to about the way Giuliani described the 2nd Amendment.

He said that the Constitution "gives" individuals the right to own and bear arms. With that understanding, no wonder he thinks it's cool to deny people their right to own guns. He thinks government has the authority to give and take away people's rights.

The 2nd amendment doesn't "give" individuals the right to bear arms, it prohibits the government from infringing on the right to bear arms. Big difference.

I think Fred Thompson gets it and obviously Ron Paul does, but Big Brother Giuliani hasn't a clue.

sluggo
12-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I've heard that the times Fred has voted for gun control (ex. the Lautenberg Amendment), it was because he either didn't read the bill, or it was tacked on to another bill that was more benign.

At least Dr. Paul reads the bills he votes for.

sluggo
12-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Fred Thompson gets it and obviously Ron Paul does, but Big Brother Giuliani hasn't a clue.

The look of sheer terror on Rudy's face was priceless. He fumbled that question about as badly as you can. What I got from it was, "I believe in the 2nd amendment so that's why I aggressively enforce gun control laws."