PDA

View Full Version : RP voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control

Harald
06-26-2007, 12:45 AM
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2005.
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2004.
- Voted against using the military to assist in border control functions in 2003.
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control efforts in 2002.
- Voted AGAINST authorizing troops on the border in 2001.
- Voted in 2000 against authorizing troops on the border.

Does anyone know of any written statement RP office issued about voting "NO" on those amendments? I tried searching congressional record, but weren't able to find any statements on this.

kalami
06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking he makes a distinction between Army and National Guard when it comes to border security.

austin356
06-26-2007, 12:52 AM
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2005.
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control functions in 2004.
- Voted against using the military to assist in border control functions in 2003.
- Voted against authorizing the use of the military to assist in border control efforts in 2002.

Does anyone know of any written statement RP office issued about voting "NO" on those amendments? I tried searching congressional record, but weren't able to find any statements on this.

I assume he believes Federal troops should not be used for civilian law enforcement. Also same with the executive using the NG, unless such action was initiated by the governor of said state.

Though I am not completely sure about what is going on now, since I thought they were for "surveillance use only" and allowed the civilian agents to do all apprehensions.

Am I wrong here?

kalami
06-26-2007, 12:55 AM
When I hear him talk about border security, I always hear National Guard and Border Patrol. I don't recall ever hearing army or navy.

literatim
06-26-2007, 03:24 AM
Posse Comitatus Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act)

jd603
06-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Also, it's tough to hold it against him unless we know the details of the bill. They can include stupid things disguised as something really good. It happens more and more in congress these days.

KingTheoden
06-26-2007, 06:45 AM
One also has to look at what actually in the legislation. Would you support a bill that supposedly would send 500 Army advisers to sit on the border and require all sorts of police state activity here? For all we know these bills had a variety of sections dealing with employment background checks, federal control of local police, etc.

You cannot just look at the headline and hold a no vote against Ron Paul without investigating the entire measure.

BLS
06-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Posse Comitatus Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act)

So basically it's a law to protect us from Martial law. Beautiful! :cool:

LibertyBelle
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
So basically it's a law to protect us from Martial law. Beautiful! :cool:

The brand spanking new Military Commissions Act, if put into play, overrides Posse Comitatus. It basically destroys it. A dictatorship gov't is in the works. Unconstitional executive orders......

Swmorgan77
06-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Good. I don't think its necessary. The Border Patrol, were they truly empowered and not thrown in jail for doing their jobs, would be adequate... especially combined with the approach of removing the incentives drawing illegals here.

I don't want some East German style militarized border, and I don't want national ID cards and whatever new legislation scheme. Just allow the agencies in place to enforce the law!