PDA

View Full Version : Press release for tomorrow: What if Your Computer Avatar looked like – Ron Paul?

jgmaynard
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
OK, this is going out tomorrow (meant to do it Tuesday). What do y'all think?

JM

RON PAUL SECOND LIFE HEADQUARTERS
PO BOX 55 TEMPLE, NH 03084
(603) 878-1414
RONPAULSECONDLIFE@YAHOO.COM
NOVEMBER 30, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

What if Your Computer Avatar looked like – Ron Paul?

The Ron Paul Headquarters in Second Life announced today the winner of their recent contest to design the best Ron Paul avatar. The winner was a player whose character is named LettaFreedom Bing. Her real-life persona lives in Pennsylvania.
The group (composed of over 250 members) believes this to be the first Presidential candidate avatar ever produced. Newt Gingrich has used Second Life to address his followers, but Mr. Gingrich dashed any idea of a Presidential run months ago.
“I’m really excited about the fact that Dr. Paul has such a loyal following in Second Life.” stated Bing. “As Dr. Paul’s support grows in the real world, it’s great to see his popularity growing in the virtual world as well.” Virtual clothing design is the usual pastime for the character, who is an avid Paul supporter in and out of the game.
The group held an open design contest and then voted on a winner. The votes were tallied by James Maynard, an officer of the group, who goes under the moniker of “SciArtMedia Sands” in the game. “Although the early voting was close,” he explained, LettaFreedom Bing’s design dominated the later voting.” The avatar’s name was based on Maynard’s real-life business, SciArt Media, which does web design and publishing.
Second Life is a virtual world, where people buy and sell items, work jobs, build houses and far more while they take advantage of the social networking that such an environment provides. Nearly ten million people are currently registered with the game and it is common to have 40,000 people playing at any given time. Real companies with offices in Second Life include Microsoft, Coldwell Banker and Ben and Jerry’s.
The group also plans a “Ron Paul Virtual Tea Party” fundraising event for their candidate to coincide with the next one-day money bomb that Dr. Paul’s supporters have planned: December 16th, the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. Starting at 8pm EST, the Second Life group will gather at the island property of one of the group members and encourage each other and others to donate more money to the campaign of the anti-war Republican. Meanwhile, the group will be throwing specially designed “virtual tea boxes” into the computer generated water to celebrate the 1773 rebellion.
Maynard jokes “We promise that no virtual fish will be harmed during the course of this event.”
The last major moneybomb initiated by Paul’s grassroots supporters infused the candidate’s financial coffers with over 4.2 million dollars in a single day. This will be the first time that the Ron Paul Headquarters in Second Life, which is also an unofficial grassroots effort, becomes involved in trying to raise money for the ten-term Congressman running for President.
For more information about Ron Paul in Second Life, please contact the group at: ronpaulsecondlife@yahoo.com.

jgmaynard
11-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Also - What pic do you like better - Just "Ron" or me and "Ron"?

JM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jgmaynard/ronpaulavahq.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jgmaynard/ronpaulwithsci.jpg

jgmaynard
11-29-2007, 09:06 PM
So what do you folks think? The press release? The pics? The events?

JM

NoxTwilight
11-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I checked out the Ron Paul headquarters a while ago a few times and no one was ever there .. haven't been back in a while so i'm getting the latest update and check in tonight :)

UtahApocalypse
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I understand that CNN has a SL edition specific to SL items, might want to get this to them as well

jgmaynard
11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I understand that CNN has a SL edition specific to SL items, might want to get this to them as well

Let me know if you can find that info easily - that would be great!

And for people who don't know about Second Life, you can make game money in the game, then SELL it for real money and donate it to the Paul campaign.

There's still hardly anyone at the HQ, but we finally have a group that's organized to start doing events and such. DO join the Ron Paul 2008 group in there, though, Nox. We're having a little glitch that's making it hard to have events right at the HQ, but hopefully that will work out soon.
In the meantime, we can get some ink for Ron and hopefully raise some more cash for him as well. PLUS - C'mon! A VIRTUAL tea party! How fun! :)

JM

UtahApocalypse
11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Let me know if you can find that info easily - that would be great!

Here ya go:

h ttp://secondlife.blogs.cnn.com/

NoxTwilight
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
There's still hardly anyone at the HQ, but we finally have a group that's organized to start doing events and such. DO join the Ron Paul 2008 group in there, though, Nox. We're having a little glitch that's making it hard to have events right at the HQ, but hopefully that will work out soon.
In the meantime, we can get some ink for Ron and hopefully raise some more cash for him as well. PLUS - C'mon! A VIRTUAL tea party! How fun! :)

JM

SL is pretty cool really - has great potential but still is a bit .. weird. Anyway I have joined the group and will visit more often. Doing a search now for other groups and events that would benefit from Ron's message.