PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Buehler Files Suit against Austin PD for Violation of Civil Rights

fr33
01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
http://peacefulstreets.com/2014/01/press-release-peaceful-streets-project-founder-sues-austin-police-department-for-violation-of-civil-rights/

Austin, TX – On December 31, 2013, Antonio Buehler filed suit against the City of Austin, Chief of Police Art Acevedo as well as officers Patrick Oborski, Robert Snider, Justin Berry, and Adam Johnson.

The lawsuit alleges that APD officers violated Mr. Buehler’s right to freedom of speech as well as his right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure when they unjustly arrested him and charged him with crimes he did not commit for recording their conduct. The lawsuit alleges that the City and the police chief are liable, because they failed to establish a policy to guide officers when people record their conduct, failed to train and supervise the officers and ratified the officers conduct by failing to remedy the constitutional violations.

“I could not stand silent and watch a brutal attack on an innocent woman, and when I saw how officers reacted to my effort to stop their violence, I knew I had to take action to prevent this from happening again,” Antonio Buehler said. “I learned that people were being arrested across the country for filming police, and I decided I had to file suit in order to stop the abuse of people who record the conduct of police officers in the hope of ending police brutality.”

Daphne Pattison Silverman, Counsel for Mr. Buehler stated that she is honored to represent a Champion of constitutional rights and civil liberties. “It is the responsibility of lawyers to champion those who champion civil rights, social justice and equality for all humanity. Mr. Buehler and I both took an oath in the United States military to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. Mr. Buehler has honored his oath with action.”

This lawsuit is necessary for transparency and accountability in government. Mr. Buehler and Ms. Silverman hope that the lawsuit will result in clear policies, effective training, and a cultural shift in the police department to reflect a desire to respect the people and the law and to prove their respect by ending a fear of accountability.

Please contact the following for information:

Daphne Pattison Silverman
Silverman Law Group
501 North IH-35
Austin, Texas. 78702
512-485-3003