PDA

View Full Version : 120-year old city without government functions just fine

Suzanimal
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Good for them!

120-year old city without government functions just fine

MAX, NEBRASKA (INTELLIHUB) — Likely the U.S. government fears the unincorporated city of Max in Dundy County because it operates free of government.

The road signs read, “travel at your own risk”.

In fact, the city operates with no police department or paved roads–and it has for years. The city even has its own park and is said to be a wonderful community which roots go back about 120-years.

So how did Max grow with no government?

Quite simply put, they started a women’s club which raises monies for various things the city requires.

YouTuber “donze52″ explains:
http://intellihub.com/2014/01/03/government-free-city-of-max-threatens-u-s-governments-dominance/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-v1Ta_il94

PierzStyx
01-07-2014, 06:33 PM
They have a government, its just a voluntary one.

mosquitobite
01-07-2014, 06:41 PM
this is amazingly awesome!

ETA: I looked it up. It's a town of 57

dannno
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
In fact, the city operates with no police department or paved roads

See!! Without government, who would pave the roads??

lol/sarc

aGameOfThrones
01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Racist Anarchists.

Occam's Banana
01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.gkworld.com/media/img/gkworld/W377-H377-Bffffff/I/item81337_jpg.jpg

Icymudpuppy
01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I hardly think 57 people counts as a city. Most homeowners associations have more people than that.

This example actually works against anarchists because people see a stagnant almost ghost town that hasn't grown, hasn't attracted new business or new settlers, and hasn't even built basic infrastructure.

Frankly, I am embarrassed that any self-identified anarchist would call this a successful community.

Keith and stuff
01-07-2014, 07:38 PM
this is amazingly awesome!

ETA: I looked it up. It's a town of 57

It isn't a city nor is it a town. It is an unincorporated community. People living there pay property taxes, sales taxes and income taxes. And that's just state/local. On there other hand, there are many communities in AK/NH without any of those taxes.

But yeah, that video was entertaining and cool.

Occam's Banana
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I hardly think 57 people counts as a city. Most homeowners associations have more people than that.

This example actually works against anarchists because people see a stagnant almost ghost town that hasn't grown, hasn't attracted new business or new settlers, and hasn't even built basic infrastructure.

Frankly, I am embarrassed that any self-identified anarchist would call this a successful community.

Ah, get a grip, wouldya? It's just a cute, pleasant & inoffensive little story.
Nobody's gonna be putting it at the top of their anti-State talking points.

TaftFan
01-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Who would build the roads?

Looks like no one. Sorry, that is how it comes across to me.

mtr1979
01-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Watched the video just because I live in Nebraska. Do a Google search. Max, NE is on US Route 34, who does the maintenance?
It will be interesting to see how long this unincorporated town survives considering most of the kids move to bigger cities for opportunities.

Keith and stuff
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM

The video claims people don't drive on the roads when it rains or something. That's kinda cool unless someone had a heart attack or something during a storm. I guess as long as a ton of the folks are EMT qualified, it would be OK. I do like the idea of the community, though. It would work awesome in the Southwest where it hardly ever rains.

helmuth_hubener
01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Bring back Italian (and German) style city-states!

gwax23
01-07-2014, 09:14 PM

this

Dianne
01-07-2014, 09:22 PM
All I can dream of, is for every city to follow suit. Not sure if anyone of you has ever been stranded with a broken down car; but people normally flock to help.

Citizens really do have heart and concern for their fellow Americans. The news media and government wish you to believe each American is a terrorist, robber, rapist, etc. they must protect you from. But the truth exists that America is filled with decent, compassionate, concerned citizens that are always ready to lend a hand.

This city is one example !!! Loved the video.

tangent4ronpaul
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Population 57

-t

Ender
01-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Watched the video just because I live in Nebraska. Do a Google search. Max, NE is on US Route 34, who does the maintenance?
It will be interesting to see how long this unincorporated town survives considering most of the kids move to bigger cities for opportunities.

It's lasted 120 years- I am sure it can continue.

Nebraska people are awesome. I broke down traveling through Nebraska and wasn't on the side of the road longer than 3 minutes before 4 cars pulled up. Got a ride, my car fixed, and lunch, all in one afternoon.

Ronin Truth
01-08-2014, 01:25 AM

Uhhh, my guess is road building companies, as usual. Do I get a cookie? :D