PDA

View Full Version : I'm not usually a defender of Pat Toomey, but I got drawn into this conversation...

Lindsey
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I am really not a supporter of Pat Toomey, despite him being better than most politicians in PA - a stark contrast to our other senator Bob Casey JR. But this photo got me drawn into a conversation with a bunch of democrats. And while I do like to consider multiple perspectives, sometimes I have trouble taking the opinions of democrats online seriously...

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1555546_10152254390395934_1236065526_n.png

I could use a little back up here:
https://www.facebook.com/padems

DaninPA
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm in.

Bunch of statists from both sides.

Lindsey
01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm in.

Bunch of statists from both sides.

Thanks for bringing the conversation back on topic - I was starting to jump on their red herrings.

Rudeman
01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't facebook otherwise I'd help. Just curious what sort of issues are they bringing up?

Lindsey
01-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Here's a thread of it:

Lindsey Sue says: Just to clarify, he didn't vote to end unemployment. The vote was to end the federal extensions that make unemployment last 99 weeks (or nearly 2 years.) We need an economy that encourages job creation, and in order to get that we need government to get out of the way of small/mid-sized businesses. Giving people unemployment benefits for 2 years time does not help create jobs and is not a solution to the issue.

Unemployment is meant as insurance to provide a person 6 months to find new employment, unemployment is not a career itself. Granted UI in PA is better than most states - it requires an active job search coordinated with career link and only has modest benefits, which encourage people to get back to work sooner. But in some states (such as NJ) a family can live on Unemployment benefits alone and there is very little incentive to return to work before your benefits have been exhausted.

Support candidates who want to promote ideas that would create economic opportunities, such as the economic freedom zones Rand Paul is encouraging; similar to the Keystone Opportunity Zones PA has had. These help create jobs where they are needed. Policies that allow businesses to thrive help people more than the immediate gratification of extended unemployment benefits.

Vote smart.

Paul Bon says: So are you saying only the unemployed are at fault I think not,corporate America must share all this blame they care not about us it's all about their bottom line ......at all cost.

Lindsey Sue says: You are putting words in my mouth. I did not blame the unemployed at all. I put the blame squarely on government - for creating policies that hurt small/mid-size business and discourage the creation of jobs.

Val Burton says: Who do you think pays for unemployment insurance...and when is the last time you had to look for a job?

You think maybe the jobs Bills being rejected by the Tea Partiers might help the economy?

BTW, you can't use the word "smart" and Rand Paul in the same post.

Lindsey Sue says: In PA, UI is funded by contributions from employees, employers and the government. I started my last job in Feb 2013.

As far as the jobs act, I support tax cuts for small businesses and individuals. But I oppose the incentives to hire certain employees over others - employees should be judged on their merits and not be chosen because a company will receive tax credits for choosing an unemployed candidate. WHile I would love to see infrastructure advances, a federal government that is $17 Trillion in debt has no business spending on anything more than necessary maintenance (most of which should be being handled by state and local governments anyways.) So while I agree on the sentiments of the act, I can't really say that I would necessarily support it if push came to shove. I am all for a jobs act that involves reducing regulation, cutting taxes, or otherwise makes it easier for businesses to conduct business here; thereby creating jobs.

While Rand Paul is no Thomas Massie, he's still a doctor and thus has to have some level of 'smart.' The idea for economic freedom zones, while not a perfect idea, would help create jobs in those areas - and should be a part of any current discussion on joblessness.

Debra Baylor Stettler says: Well said Lindsey Sue, unfortunately people who want smaller government are few and far between! Hence...Obama getting voted for a second term!

Rob Snyder says: It hasn't been 99 weeks for a long time. Please God actually understand the subject matter before spouting off like an expert.

Rob Snyder says: You previously stated "in PA". We are commenting on a thread started by the "PA" Democratic Party. The piece of garbage in the image above was elected to represent the people of... you guessed it... PA. Nobody in PA has drawn 99 checks in quite awhile. Only the voters of... you guessed it... PA again... will have the privilege of kicking that bum to the curb with the rest of the trash. Kapish?

Lindsey Sue says: This may be a thread started by PA Democratic Forum and Mr. Toomey may have been elected by the voters of PA, but he is a US senator - he votes on policies that affect the nation. WHile PA may be being more responsible, we still bear the federal tax burden for the less fiscally responsible states, so what other states do are of importance to how a US senator votes.

Rob Snyder says: Those states each have their two senators.

Lindsey Sue says: US senators, while representatives of a particular state make decisions based on a whole nation. Pennsylvanians pay federal taxes, those taxes may be redistributed to any of the 50 states, (not to mention territories and other nations). We need federal congressmen to make decisions while considering the behavior of less responsible states, because when any state spends irresponsibly on a federally subsidized program, it could be at the cost of taxpayers from more responsible states.

Rob Snyder says: If you think willfully causing hard working Americans to lose their homes is fiscally responsible you're not qualified to discuss the subject matter. You are dismissed.

Dan Mitchell says: Why is government, especially FEDERAL government, even in in the business of providing unemployment insurance? Shouldn't I be able to buy that from an INSURANCE company? You know, an entity that can't steal money from other people t give to me.

dillo
01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Pat Toomey is part of the liberty caucas, let that sink in. People like Toomey being labeled Tea Party are the reason people hate the tea party.

Lindsey
01-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm not a fan of Toomey, for me the point was that a 'nay' vote was the correct vote here.

Feeding the Abscess
01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Unemployment benefits are theft, stolen from taxpayers of all stripes, then given to other individuals. It should be ended immediately, along with all price controls, including wage laws.

Additionally, regulation should be shredded by at least 80%. On top of this, the military should be disbanded, DHS eliminated, the NSA, CIA, FBI, IRS, and myriad other federal departments abolished, all federal taxes, tariffs, embargoes, sanctions, and quotas ended.

The economy would flourish like nothing seen in human history.

Now you'll have the benefit of looking less crazy, and they'll be exposed to the truth.