PDA

View Full Version : Obama Slams Rand Paul’s Comments About Extending Unemployment: ‘Sells American People Short’

jct74
01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Obama Slams Rand Paul’s Comments About Extending Unemployment: ‘Sells the American People Short’

by Tommy Christopher | 12:57 pm, January 7th, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndCm7CNevm8

As Democrats slowly overcome Republican opposition to a measure that would extend emergency unemployment insurance benefits, President Obama took to the airwaves Tuesday morning to make the case for the measure. Speaking from the East Room of the White House, surrounded by some of the Americans who have lost their benefits, the President took a moment toward the end of the speech to take on comments that Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) made on ABC’s This Week on Sunday.

Without naming Paul, the President described the Senator’s comments. “I have heard the argument that says extending unemployment insurance will somehow hurt the unemployed, because it saps their motivation to get a new job,” the President said, and paused for effect. To applause from the room, he added “I really want to — I want to go at this for a second.”

“That really sells the American people short,” the President continued. “I meet a lot of people, as President of the United States and as candidate for President of the United States and as a US senator and state senator. I meet a lot of people. And I can’t name a time when I met an American who would rather have an unemployment check than the pride of having a job.”

“The long-term unemployed are not lazy. They are not lacking in motivation. They are coping with the aftermath of the worst economic crisis in generations,” President Obama added, saying “It’s hard out there. There are a lot of friends, a lot of our neighbors who have lost their jobs, and they are working their tails off every single day trying to find a new job.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/obama-slams-rand-pauls-comments-about-extending-unemployment-sells-the-american-people-short/

Schifference
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Bull. Most people laid off take the opportunity to enjoy themselves. Saying that he never met a person that would rather collect unemployment than work is just total BS. Everybody knows someone that was happy to collect unemployment. Many people wait until benefits are ready to expire before looking for work. I knew people that would call a place to see if they were hiring. When the place said no they would go there & fill out an application so they could say they applied for work. Next thing you will hear is that it is hard work to be unemployed. Extending benefits indefinitely will only make people less motivated to go seek employment in a vicious market. The longer you wait the harder it gets. While handing out cash to all those unemployed shouldn't we consider all the new graduates that cannot find work? They are not employed. They need to get compensated also. You know what we really need? More taxes from the rich because we don't have a spending problem we have a revenue problem.

jtstellar
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
so he feels for the 'hardship out there', says the guy who spent millions in hawaii just last week

puppetmaster
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
BS the long term unemployed are not motivated enough to get a job. I talk to more of them in a day than the fucking president has in his lifetime. They go through the motions required to keep benefits flowing and that is it. If you take the unemployment benefits away I bet fifty percent of them find a job and the other find welfare as their new favorite way to live of the taxpayer.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 02:11 PM
“That really sells the American people short,” the President continued. “I meet a lot of people, as President of the United States and as candidate for President of the United States and as a US senator and state senator. I meet a lot of people. And I can’t name a time when I met an American who would rather have an unemployment check than the pride of having a job.”

Typical crock of shit from the Marxist in Chief. The truth has never left his lips. This is no exception.

I have met many people who have waited until UI ran out before seriously looking for (and finding) a job.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 02:15 PM
"They are coping with the aftermath of the worst economic crisis in generations,” President Obama

Obama should know, he's extended the crisis for six years and exploded the national debt.

Mr.NoSmile
01-07-2014, 02:23 PM
BS the long term unemployed are not motivated enough to get a job. I talk to more of them in a day than the fucking president has in his lifetime. They go through the motions required to keep benefits flowing and that is it. If you take the unemployment benefits away I bet fifty percent of them find a job and the other find welfare as their new favorite way to live of the taxpayer.

Through the motions? Interesting. Just last year I was out of work for about three months, but didn't stop or even think of not looking for work 'to keep benefits flowing.' Granted, the only benefit was just money, but that's a generalization that many go through the motions required to keep benefits flowing. Some do actually go looking and find work and get off of being unemployed.

specsaregood
01-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Is there a reason these people need unemployment extended? Can they not just get on welfare instead?

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Through the motions? Interesting. Just last year I was out of work for about three months, but didn't stop or even think of not looking for work 'to keep benefits flowing.' Granted, the only benefit was just money, but that's a generalization that many go through the motions required to keep benefits flowing. Some do actually go looking and find work and get off of being unemployed.

Yep, you were looking for a job. In this bad economy, it would take about three months to find one while actively looking (depending on the type of work and experience). You wouldn't be considered "long term" unemployed. No one said that everyone waits for UI to end before looking.

Mr.NoSmile
01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Yep, you were looking for a job. In this bad economy, it would take about three months to find one while actively looking (depending on the type of work and experience). You wouldn't be considered "long term" unemployed. No one said that everyone waits for UI to end before looking.

Ah, fair enough. My mistake. Just getting some clarification.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM

TheGrinch
01-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Highly ironic that he advocates for this just as he's advocating to raise the minimum wage, ensuring that more underskilled will not get the chance to obtain skills/employment that will lead them to the 97% of jobs that aren't minimum wage.

TaftFan
01-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Fake controversy.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Want the unemployment rate to stay stagnant, rise, or not decrease as quickly as possible? Then support an extension of unemployment benefits.

Sure, liberals are touting the three-month extension (which isn’t offset by spending cuts elsewhere, despite its hefty $6.5 billion price tag) as an act of compassion for struggling unemployed Americans. But the data shows a different picture: Give people unemployment benefits, and it’s likely they will take longer to find employment.

“Extended unemployment benefits are not an economic free lunch,” explains James Sherk, a senior policy analyst in labor economics at The Heritage Foundation. “Economists have consistently found that they prolong workers’ job searches, raising the unemployment rate.”

“Many liberals argue this is a plus—it helps the unemployed hold out for higher wages,” Sherk continues. “But higher wages discourage businesses from hiring, which means fewer new jobs.”
More:
http://blog.heritage.org/2014/01/07/extending-unemployment-benefits-lead-fewer-americans-finding-jobs-quickly/

Brett85
01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Ha ha, this kind of stuff really helps Rand. Obama is doing him a big favor.

Brian4Liberty
01-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Lucille
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
"They are coping with the aftermath of the worst economic crisis in generations,” President Obama

Obama should know, he's extended the crisis for six years and exploded the national debt.

Aftermath, eh? This economic crisis is barely getting started, which Obama, as Brain points out, has only made much much worse.

Why would we need extended unemployment benefits (http://www.theburningplatform.com/2013/12/30/are-msm-journalists-stupid-or-corrupt/), food stamps at record levels, zero interest rates, and the Federal Reserve buying $75 billion of bonds per month if the stock market is at record highs, unemployment has plunged from 10% to 7%, and the economy is growing at over 4%?

If the emergency is far past, stop ALL the emergency measures and let’s see how well our beloved leaders have SOLVED our problems.

Oh. I thought so. Nothing has been solved. The oligarchs have only deferred the final collapse until they could capture the remaining wealth of the peasants.

Occam's Banana
01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I have a jobs proposal for you, Mr. "I care about the little people" Obama: just hire a different unemployed person as your caddy for each of your golf games. That should put a helluva dent in the unemployment numbers ...

Rudeman
01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
So the economy is doing great but um yea we need to extend long term unemployment benefits because the economy sucks. That is basically what Democrats are trying to spin, if you take Obama at his word that everyone on unemployment is trying their hardest to find a job then how bad is the economy if it takes people that long (or longer) to find one?

Mr.NoSmile
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
So the economy is doing great but um yea we need to extend long term unemployment benefits because the economy sucks. That is basically what Democrats are trying to spin, if you take Obama at his word that everyone on unemployment is trying their hardest to find a job then how bad is the economy if it takes people that long (or longer) to find one?

And if only challengers were quick to point out the contradiction.

alucard13mm
01-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Too bad Obama didn't call Rand out... It would mean that Rand would be important enough for Obama to mention and it would have made all the republicans stand behind Rand.

Didn't anyone remember when Obama ignored Ron Paul when Obama talked about his opponents?

Dianne
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/obama-slams-rand-pauls-comments-about-extending-unemployment-sells-the-american-people-short/

Obama's Hawaii vacation could have paid to extend unemployment for three months... Wasn't worth it to him.

Crashland
01-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I completely agree with Rand on his facts, but I think he could do a much better job with this issue on the unemployed. Why would any of the 8% currently unemployed people vote for someone who basically implies that people like them on unemployment benefits are lazy or will not really look for jobs until the benefits run out? Even if your facts are right, you can't just alienate a significant chunk of voters like that. I think probably what is closer to the truth, is that the people on long term unemployment on average would like to have a job, but because they have the unemployment income they are less willing to expand their job search to other area that might not have been their first or second or third choice.

I think a better policy position for Rand would be to gradually scale back the extended unemployment benefits, but also focus on ideas (other than only cutting the benefits) that might encourage unemployed people to branch out more or encourage companies to train long term unemployed people who are changing career paths.

torchbearer
01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
so he feels for the 'hardship out there', says the guy who spent millions in hawaii just last week

the fact that the media doesn't call him out on that should tell you something about the media.
Glenn Greenwald called them out on it.

brushfire
01-07-2014, 10:57 PM
I recall, at one time, Denmark used to give 4 or 5 years unemployment benefits. They had to cut that back to 2 as they found that people would coincidentally find work 3 weeks prior to losing their benefits.

juleswin
01-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I have heard the liberals make the argument that there is 1 available job for every 3 people looking for jobs and cutting UI right now will cause millions of Americans to lose their homes(edit: not jobs), go hungry etc etc. So my question is, what happens if the unemployment situation doesn't get any better or maybe gets worse after their UI runs out? will it be OK then to let em lose their homes, go hungry etc etc?

georgiaboy
01-07-2014, 11:17 PM
That's right, Mr. President, always punch up, never down.

DamianTV
01-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I recall, at one time, Denmark used to give 4 or 5 years unemployment benefits. They had to cut that back to 2 as they found that people would coincidentally find work 3 weeks prior to losing their benefits.

IIRC, they also did the job hunting for those that lost their jobs through no fault of their own. That program was also curtailed when they found it cost them more and was less efficient than those out of work hunting for their own jobs.

Our biggest problem is that there may very well have been an Economic Recovery, if you look at all the money thats been printed and who it went to, and Stock Market numbers. But Economic Recovery is NOT Employment Recovery.

There has been absolutely no Employment Recovery.

Smoke and Mirrors to deceive those that still (barely) have jobs.

trey4sports
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Seems like Obama has essentially recognized that Paul is the front runner. Every time he gets attacked by Obama his profile increases.

Czolgosz
01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
lol @ the entire racket and how much turd sandwhich people will consume.

Brian4Liberty
01-09-2014, 12:26 AM
I have heard the liberals make the argument that there is 1 available job for every 3 people looking for jobs and cutting UI right now will cause millions of Americans to lose their jobs, go hungry etc etc. So my question is, what happens if the unemployment situation doesn't get any better or maybe gets worse after their UI runs out? will it be OK then to let em lose their homes, go hungry etc etc?

If you are already unemployed, how do you lose your job after unemployment insurance runs out?

There are food stamps and welfare after unemployment insurance runs out.

juleswin
01-09-2014, 12:31 AM
If you are already unemployed, how do you lose your job after unemployment insurance runs out?

There are food stamps and welfare after unemployment insurance runs out.

oops, I meant to say homes not jobs. The interview I saw on CNN, the lady was saying that the only thing keeping her from losing her house and starving was the money she is receiving from UI.

acptulsa
01-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I completely agree with Rand on his facts, but I think he could do a much better job with this issue on the unemployed. Why would any of the 8% currently unemployed people vote for someone who basically implies that people like them on unemployment benefits are lazy or will not really look for jobs until the benefits run out? Even if your facts are right, you can't just alienate a significant chunk of voters like that. I think probably what is closer to the truth, is that the people on long term unemployment on average would like to have a job, but because they have the unemployment income they are less willing to expand their job search to other area that might not have been their first or second or third choice.

I think a better policy position for Rand would be to gradually scale back the extended unemployment benefits, but also focus on ideas (other than only cutting the benefits) that might encourage unemployed people to branch out more or encourage companies to train long term unemployed people who are changing career paths.

He wasn't talking about ending unemployment insurance, he simply didn't support the extension of extended benefits. Which amounts to a 'scaling back'.

And he did make the point that this would bring people back before they came to be considered 'unemployable'. Presumably, they would beat out other candidates for the jobs who might not yet have applied for unemployment at all...

Christian Liberty
01-09-2014, 12:38 AM

The thing is, Rand actually said he'd extend the unemployment benefits "If they were paid for." Only a moron would think that's a radically conservative/libertarian position to take. In fact, it would be pretty darn liberal before FDR. That this is actually controversial from the LEFT shows just how far in the wrong direction this country has gone.

acptulsa
01-09-2014, 01:36 AM
The thing is, Rand actually said he'd extend the unemployment benefits "If they were paid for." Only a moron would think that's a radically conservative/libertarian position to take. In fact, it would be pretty darn liberal before FDR. That this is actually controversial from the LEFT shows just how far in the wrong direction this country has gone.

They do get awfully pissy these days when someone suggests government should live within its budget. It isn't that weird an idea, really.

Rudeman
01-09-2014, 01:42 AM
A balanced budget* = Anarchism. I'm surprised you guys didn't already know this.

* Unless it is achieved by raising taxes. Then it is just being moderate.