PDA

View Full Version : Phasing Out Social Security

NinjaPirate
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I had a conversation the other day with a co-worker about Ron Paul, and we got on to the topic of SS. His concern was that if SS is phased out he wants what he already paid into it. It's pretty obvious that isn't going to be the case. So, my question is, how is Dr. Paul going to phase out SS if there are people who don't want to opt out of it??

JenaS62
11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I had a conversation the other day with a co-worker about Ron Paul, and we got on to the topic of SS. His concern was that if SS is phased out he wants what he already paid into it. It's pretty obvious that isn't going to be the case. So, my question is, how is Dr. Paul going to phase out SS if there are people who don't want to opt out of it??

yes I need an answer to this as well. My neighbor was supporting Ron Paul until he heard that Ron Paul wants to eliminiate Social Security and now he is going to vote for Billary since his son works for the Clinton foundation. I'd like to get him back.

ASayre
11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Allow the young people the option to get out, raise a generation who hasn't paid into it.

murrayrothbard
11-29-2007, 03:26 PM
SS "contributions" are just taxes. You are paying for people currently getting benefits. It's a pyramid scam. Yeah I want all the taxes I've paid back too. Not gonna happen.

Tarabell952
11-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Allow the young people the option to get out, raise a generation who hasn't paid into it.

Yes, but then if people are opting out, how will there be enough money to pay those who are retiring now or in the near future? They didn't have a choice to opt out. Where is the money going to come from for them? This is an important issue that no politician ever seems to address.

NinjaPirate
12-02-2007, 07:47 PM
bump. :/

Johnnybags
12-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes, but then if people are opting out, how will there be enough money to pay those who are retiring now or in the near future? They didn't have a choice to opt out. Where is the money going to come from for them? This is an important issue that no politician ever seems to address.

policing the world would be cut to tide those over who depend on it. THERE IS NO MONEY IN SSI. It is a ponzi scheme where the 5 workers or whatever pay the 1 retiree. Of course until there are retirees up the @ss living til 99 and less jobs domestically, then they print the cash and drive up costs for all, devaluing your buying power.

Ragnar
12-09-2007, 02:16 AM

I'm not sure what exactly you have discussed with your co-worker, but here's a link for writings from Ron Paul on SS:

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/topic.php?id=11

And here are some excerpts from: http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=951. They should answer all the questions you mentioned above.

The proposed solutions [to keep Social Security financially solvent], ranging from lower benefits to higher taxes to increasing the age of eligibility, are NOT solutions; they are betrayals.

Imposing any tax on Social Security benefits is unfair and illogical. In Congress, I have introduced the Senior Citizens Tax Elimination Act (H.R. 191), which repeals ALL taxes on Social Security benefits, to eliminate political theft of our seniors’ income and raise their standard of living.

Solvency is the key to keeping our promise to our seniors, and I have introduced the Social Security Preservation Act (H.R. 219) to ensure that money paid into the system is only used for Social Security.

It is fundamentally unfair to give benefits to anyone who has not paid into the system. The Social Security for Americans Only Act (H.R. 190) ends the drain on Social Security caused by illegal aliens seeking the fruits of your labor.

We must also address the desire of younger workers to save and invest on their own. We should cut payroll taxes and give workers the opportunity to seek better returns in the private market.

Ask your co-worker this question: what other politician has introduced legislation to STOP TAXING SS benefits or to STOP RAIDING the SS "trust fund"? I think those actions show that RP is a man of integrity, and that he would never bilk people out of the money they have already paid into the system.

If you rephrase your last question, I might be able to answer it more directly. I just don't fully understand the context of your question.