PDA

View Full Version : Suspension of Disbelief

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 03:03 AM
This term is used to describe the mindset of a person observing a fictional story.

When you watch a fictional movie where short people team up with also short people with lots of hair and one really tall guy with a stick go on an adventure, as a viewer, you know its not real. Every story you observe, there is generally one BIG lie. In the aforementioned story, the lie is that "this is the world". It allows extensions of the lie. Thus, in that world, you can have Magic. You can have Dragons, Talking Spiders, Supernatural, and a shiny gold trinket. But in order to observe the story for what it is, we temporarily suspend our disbelief so that we can believe the lie in order to enjoy the story. This is how we observe Fiction.

I've already made one of my wall of text posts about the mindset of the individual when it pertains to Cop Shows. In that post, I addressed that the greater the lie, the easier it is to return the mind to reality. But when the fiction so closely resembles reality, people seem to have a greater and greater time telling the difference between fantasy and reality. Hence, Cop Shows. Cops in some movies typically answer to no one authority, are always "bad shots", and wear military issued equipment, camouflage uniforms, and body armor when issuing a ticket for the illegal distribution of lemon flavored water both with and without sugar, and is demanded for the safety of the officers due to the very dangerous nature of pre-pubescent children.

The thing is, this Suspension of Disbelief is not a mindset that people have only when observing fiction. Many have this same mindset when watching the Nightly News. Thus, many people believe everything that comes out of the MSM as the Gospel Truth, even if the information presented is heavily biased and only a part of what is needed to establish an accurate conclusion. However, TV in general isnt the only place that we encounter this perception manipulative tactic.

Salesmen do it. Our product is better than their product because our product can do this many things and theirs cant. People suspend their disbelief that they dont need a product being sold and through that allow the "lie to be the truth, temporarily" way of thinking, people actually believe that the cheap knockoff is better than the real deal.

The reason for this post is to find out how far this paradigm has extended and embedded itself into our every day thinking. Around here, many of us are wise to this method. But we see the effects everywhere. Texting is more important than talking to my friends. Govt is our friend. People who see Conspiracies are insane. This religion is better than that religion because (insert reason here). My product is better than their product. This politician is good and honest, and the other politician is a slimeball and you should not like him because I told you to not like him. And it is often targetted at the most vunerable audiences, Children. Hell, I even see children shows creating the Conditioned Response (Pavlov's Dog) to laugh at anyone who says "It's a Conspiracy! Man!" Children are taught to think Cops are Officer Friendly, and Politicians are Moral People. If the cartoons that our children watched showed that Politicians were ALL corrupt, Banks manipulated the Politicians, NSA wants to know what you're thinking so they can use that information to manipulate you in the most effective way possible, taught not to consume, and that Cops were Serial Killers, our children would grow up to think very very different from the way the establishment wants them to think. Whatever our children are taught, the status quo does not want them to be able to resist their influences at any level. They want generation after generation of sheep producting more sheep.

The thing is, the Suspension of Disbelief is a very powerful tool, both for storytelling, and Group Psychology. Yet, I've only mentioned a few places that this technique is exploited to garner blind trust from the masses.

Where else have you seen the Suspension of Disbelief applied in order to manipulate people? And what do you do to resist? What do you do to resist the urge to accept opinions without evaluations because a group has accepted a set of opinions that you are supposed to share? What would you recommend to someone who is starting to wake up?

tod evans
01-07-2014, 05:52 AM
What would you recommend to someone who is starting to wake up?

Unplug from all external stimuli for at least 6 months no TV, no newz, no politics, no internet, no group think anything from church to boy scouts...

Deal only with the reality of your own daily life....

I guarantee things'll look different.

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
And how do they "deal"? Some people need advice on this. Any tasks that would build the character of the individual during the external stimuli hiatus?

CPUd
01-07-2014, 07:18 AM
And how do they "deal"? Some people need advice on this. Any tasks that would build the character of the individual during the external stimuli hiatus?

Personal challenges. Take a task that would normally be done without much thought, and remove something. For instance, try to do routine errands around town without a car. Send an email without phone or home internet connection.

torchbearer
01-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Unplug from all external stimuli for at least 6 months no TV, no newz, no politics, no internet, no group think anything from church to boy scouts...

this is true.
because if you unplug for awhile.. and only deal with daily task. the distance between the fiction and the real grows greater and becomes easier to see.

tod evans
01-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Build or make anything, grow/harvest, cook create, write, read old tomes, take a walk where other people aren't...

Humans haven't changed, there's more of us and our surroundings have changed but our nature as man hasn't.

I think that without the input of groupthink most folks will come to the realization that they're being manipulated, they'll come to enjoy things the group doesn't and maybe despise some things the group relishes but until one drags himself away from the group he can never view it objectively...

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Personal challenges. Take a task that would normally be done without much thought, and remove something. For instance, try to do routine errands around town without a car. Send an email without phone or home internet connection.

I fear that not enough people would actually try to challenge themselves, and quickly find that a semi conscious vegitative state is more appealing. Thus, some personal challenges need to be suggested. Like testing ones self to recognize the state of a Suspension of Disbelief. Are you believing everything that Im saying right now? Do you think you would do better to actually have your guard up against some of my ideas? Are there any ideas that you dont resist what so ever, but should be? Are there ideas that should not be resisted? Are you resisting right now? Just a few of my own suggestions, more are definitely welcome.

tod evans
01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Psychedelics are a means to expedite the process but in today's world even obtaining them is fraught with danger.

One must also evaluate the inherent risks associated with ingesting any chemical designed to alter consciousness..

JK/SEA
01-07-2014, 08:40 AM

ya know, its hard to not agree with that Tod....but...for me, i'm the type that likes to know when my enemies are coming. I need at least 30 minutes to load up my truck with bug out gear, grab the mags, and rip out to my 'spot'...

Ronin Truth
01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
For me it was an AHAH unrequested epiphany.

Suzanimal
01-07-2014, 09:40 AM

I like to learn how to do something outside of my comfort zone, especially things that help me become less dependent on modern conveniences. It's empowering to become self sufficient and the more independent you become the less you need or want other people telling you how to live your life.

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Here's a couple more paradigms that I see all the time during the Suspension of Disbelief:

Religion of State Worship - Its a type of Group Think where anything that comes from "the State" must be correct. They are all smarter than you because they have costumes and official sounding titles. Thus, what ever they tell you should not be challenged or openly evaluated.

Scary Movies:

Lots of stuff in this topic. Some fluff. Some not so fluff. So here are some of those ideas that are accepted during a persons Suspension of Disbelief.

One I always like is Scary Hallways in all scary movies have Pipes! Mandatory Pipes!

There is a Boogeyman out to get you around every corner - Now, replace Boogeyman with the Govt Target of the Week. Then cry out for the state to protect you from said Boogeymen. Start off with Monsters. Note: This paradigm also works for Action Flicks. Replace Monster with Terrorist. Bank Robber. Extend the definition to include anyone the Status Quo wants you to fear and cry out for protection from. Kidnapper / Child Molestor (Lifetime Network). Men are Abusive Pigs (Lifetime Network). Women at Bars have Diseases. Patriots. Conspiracy Theorists. Pot Smokers (Reefer Madness - the 28,000 sequels). Phase Shifting Vampire Neighbors. Intelligent Aliens. The Lone Corrupt Politician. The One Bad Cop. Bruce Willis. Other Countries are Evil because they are all Incapable. Unregulated Household Appliances that can come to life - The Garbage Disposal. The Upside Down Lawnmower. Brown People in Hoodies. People that aren't Cops / Military that have Guns.

Solutions to Problems:

Another topic that is repeated until it is drilled into the mind of the observer. Its the same small set of paradigms that are presented as a Panacea for almost every problem. For the bad people described above, there are just a few solutions that are presented and repeated. For a single bad person, Arrest. For a group of bad people, single hero kills majority of group, then takes out the leader. No effort to pursue the remaining individuals from that group is ever done. For Natural Disasters (I particularly love this one), every solution can be solved by Nuking it. Earthquake? Detonate a Thermonuclear Warhead underground. Space Disaster - Nuke the Asteroid, Sun, Planet, Moon, Coronal Mass Ejection, Alien Ship, Satellite, Vortex / Black Hole, etc. Nukes solve ALL Problems in Space. Volcano - Nuke it. Hurricane? Nuke it. Tidal Wave? Nuke it. Stiff Breeze? Nuke it. Swarm of Ordinary Mosquitos - Nuke it. Nukes solve all of our Non Human problems, usually. Cops solve all of our Human Problems, usually. Anyone that gets out of a Prison is still a Criminal.

These things are NOT Problems:

School. Low Paying Job where employee can afford a fucking Mansion. Cops. Govt. Taxes. Fiat Currency. Religion, if a form of Christianity. Having no rights is never a danger because Govt will always protect you. Banks are always honest and are only the victims, but never a group of abusive conspirators. More laws solves all problems. Peaceful solutions include Violence (I know, right?). Brown People are Evil. Virgins have the best chance of survival.

Loads of crazy paradigms that we are taught, by repeated inclusion, or by total exclusion. What other situations where a person Suspends their Disbelief can you come up with?

ZENemy
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
What would you recommend to someone who is starting to wake up?

The Trivium.

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
The Trivium.

Please explain?

ZENemy
01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Please explain?

If propaganda and disinformation was a form of encryption; The trivium would be the pass code to unlock it all. It teaches one to spot fallacies and how to identify things like "circular logic".

Homeschoolers will love the trivium, oh its nothing new but has had a reemergence with the internet. I am no expert and have only been studying it for about 2 years but it feels like something Ive always known and already practiced throughout my life.

It is a system of learning and questioning. IMHO it creates critical thinkers and self independence. That is why I would suggest it for those newly awakening.

In medieval universities, the trivium comprised the three subjects that were taught first: grammar, logic, and rhetoric. The word is a Latin term meaning "the three ways" or "the three roads" forming the foundation of a medieval liberal arts education. This study was preparatory for the quadrivium, which consists of geometry, arithmetic, astronomy, and music. Combining the trivium and quadrivium results in the seven liberal arts of classical study. The trivium is implicit in the De nuptiis of Martianus Capella, although the term was not used until the Carolingian era when it was coined in imitation of the earlier quadrivium.[1] It was later systematized in part by Petrus Ramus as an essential part of Ramism. Logic, grammar, and rhetoric were very important for a classical education, as clearly explained in Plato's dialogues. The three together were defined into one word in the Middle Ages, but the tradition of learning these three first was well established in Plato's time, or even earlier[citation needed].

The Trivium method: (pertains to mind) – the elementary three.

General Grammar, Aristotelian Logic, and Classical Rhetoric comprise the first three rules-based subjects of the 7 Liberal Arts and Sciences. As these disciplines are learned and practiced together, they form the overarching, symbiotic system for establishing clarity and consistency of personal thought called the Trivium.

I find it fascinating for some reason.

http://www.triviumeducation.com/

Anti Federalist
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM

A very rough process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orRsvdZeUA

LibForestPaul
01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
open a lemonade stand

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 07:57 PM
open a lemonade stand

Hmm, as a paradigm, people think they wont be arrested for opening a Lemonade Stand, but in reality, they'll be charged with Public Endangerment, arrested, tried, and convicted. Suspension of Disbelief goes away once the cops show up to taze the 5 year old. The more I think about it, the more that the Suspension of Disbelief can be applied to almost everything in life.

This is actually pretty fun. So what else?

DamianTV
01-14-2014, 02:07 AM
Okay, here's a question...

Everyone probably knows someone that watches a Cop Show. What kinds of attitudes do these people have towards both the Police, and other seemingly unrelated issues like Libertarians? Do they eat up MSM info like its the Gospel Truth? Just wondering about the mentality that the Cop Show Viewers tend to have from what you've all seen?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-14-2014, 03:31 AM
A very rough process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orRsvdZeUA

Fair enough, but I think this is a little smoother for most people, even here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bPm4y-rxo