PDA

View Full Version : $1 million in one hour!

Naraku
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
This is a call for all supporters who can to donate $25 from 7 to 8 P.M. EST tomorrow. The goal is to get 40,000 people on board to donate during that hour and hopefully raise at least $1 million.

If a large amount of Ron Paul's supporters could come together and donate at this time it could easily exceed that amount.

This will help not only meet $12 million, but provide the servers with the ultimate stress test before the Tea Party. It will show the media that Ron Paul's base not only has deep pockets, but amazing coordination.

Contact absolutely everyone you know who could donate to Ron Paul, if you're looking to buy something off the store buy it at this time. The more people donating the better. This time may not work for everyone, but if people come home to see a massive jump in the funds in one hour they'll feel more encouraged to donate than before which could lead to a final sprint to the finish in the last hours of the day.

NinjaPirate
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm in!

dsentell
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry . . .

I will be on the road then and no where near a computer . . .

To make up for missing this - I will donate $100 earlier in the day if that is ok. I had planned on donating $50, but after last night, decided to double it! :)

NinjaPirate
11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I've already posted on 9 out of the top ten meetup groups about the event. Hopefully they'll see it!

mpython77
11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Not a problem....

european
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Sorry . . .

To make up for missing this - I will donate $100 earlier in the day if that is ok. I had planned on donating $50, but after last night, decided to double it! :)

lol i love that spirit! :D

JenaS62
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm in too

Ball
11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
4PM Pacific...

(checks schedule)

OK, this time I think I can make.

Is this THE time now? I'm tired of the time bouncing around (midnight vs noon etc.)

Naraku
11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, it's THE date. Some people may not meet it but that just means they can add on afterwards.

Carole
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Question regarding the one hour window.

Is is possible that flooding them with donations during a one hour period will knock out their servers. We would not want to do that.

Should it not be gradual over a several hour period?

Thanks.

Naraku
11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
That's partly the point. In fact, it makes it good that it's towards the end of the day because if it turns out the serve can't handle it, then it's better it happens later in the day than earlier.

However, the idea is to see if it can be done on such a massive level without hurting the server. If it can, then there's probably no need to worry about December 16th.

Original_Intent
11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Yep we want to see what the servers can handle. If we can take the servers down tomorrow, they had better start making adjustments before the TeaParty

kylejack
11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
The servers will be fine. That's one department where they really got their act together.

Sey.Naci
11-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Was it ever confirmed that they're set up to receive donations from Americans living or serving in other countries? I recall that was a problem in the past.

austin356
11-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorry . . .

YEA way 2 go!!!

Ronin
11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
First I'd like to say I know you guys are well intentioned, but you guys talking about trying to take the servers down at 8pm are out of your minds!!! I've been a sysadmin for 10 years on enterprise Unix servers and you NEVER EVER EVER EVER do load test like this during peak hours. If you want to organize something like this do it in the middle of the night when nobody would be impacted.

What you are suggesting is purposely taking down the servers at a prime hour. PEOPLE CAN'T DONATE IF IT'S DOWN!!

Leave it to the sysadmins to determine how much load the system can handle. That's their job.

Think people think...

SonicInfinity
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
First I'd like to say I know you guys are well intentioned, but you guys talking about trying to take the servers down at 8pm are out of your minds!!! I've been a sysadmin for 10 years on enterprise Unix servers and you NEVER EVER EVER EVER do load test like this during peak hours. If you want to organize something like this do it in the middle of the night when nobody would be impacted.

What you are suggesting is purposely taking down the servers at a prime hour. PEOPLE CAN'T DONATE IF IT'S DOWN!!

Leave it to the sysadmins to determine how much load the system can handle. That's their job.

Think people think...

Again, that's kinda the point. They need to make sure their servers are fortified.

Plus, imagine the headline: Ron Paul Supporters Donate Too Much?

Michigan11
11-30-2007, 01:04 AM
I will see you at Ron's at 7pm est. sharp with $25!

kylejack
11-30-2007, 01:07 AM

Think people think...

Look, you're new here. We've already load tested it extensively. We bombarded it for a one hour period with ten dollar donations and it performed like a champ. Testing indicates it can accept at least 4 million dollars in a day. ;p Everything's fine. Its HEAVILY fortified. It will not go down.

kill the banks
11-30-2007, 01:17 AM
how about phone into nite radio shows like coast to coast [ millions listen ] and mention the money bomb ... a lot of ron paul potential money out there will hear the plug

kill the banks

Ronin
11-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Edit: Taking the high road on this one.

Michigan11
11-30-2007, 01:22 AM
The Ron Paul 2008 server will not accept anything less than $1,000,000 dollars between the hours of 7-8pm est.

Anything less is unacceptable!

thuja
11-30-2007, 01:24 AM
i will donate then as well, but i am getting confused about what to donate and when.

regular donation site tommorow 7-8 PM EST, regular donation site 16 dec and blimp when they send email to get the donation i pledged. ??? is this correct so far? or what?

CelestialRender
11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
I personally think everyone donating as early as possible is best. Momentum builds momentum.

pacelli
11-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Think people think...

Yep you are 100% right! It is a risky experiment because we aren't sure how long it will take to get the servers BACK UP. If we knock out the servers at 8pm in the east, then the folks on the west coast getting off of work at 5pm will have to wait until they are back up.

Lets not accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot.

kylejack
11-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Yep you are 100% right! It is a risky experiment because we aren't sure how long it will take to get the servers BACK UP. If we knock out the servers at 8pm in the east, then the folks on the west coast getting off of work at 5pm will have to wait until they are back up.

Lets not accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot.

The server will not go down. We've done plenty of testing on this, and absent a DDOS, its not going to go down. It will be fine.

pacelli
11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
The server will not go down. We've done plenty of testing on this, and absent a DDOS, its not going to go down. It will be fine.

Praying nobody tries to mess with us! :)

tsetsefly
11-30-2007, 02:47 AM
I personally think everyone donating as early as possible is best. Momentum builds momentum.

exactly that is what propelled us to 4.3 million on nov. 5... i just donated...

wisconsinite
11-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Was it ever confirmed that they're set up to receive donations from Americans living or serving in other countries? I recall that was a problem in the past.

If you have a credit card with a US billing address it's no problem.

Naraku
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Right now the pace is moving towards about $500,000 for today. Getting people on board for this may be the best way of reaching $12 million. Spread the word!

Platondas
11-30-2007, 08:23 AM
not today, but we may want to try a ddos attack on the server during some lull time before the 16th just to be sure.

me3
11-30-2007, 08:26 AM
not today, but we may want to try a ddos attack on the server during some lull time before the 16th just to be sure.
That's a horrible idea.

Naraku
11-30-2007, 08:26 AM
The whole point is to test the servers so it will work on the 16th. If at 7 to 8 P.M. EST there can be $1.5 million and the rest of the day manages $700,000 then $12 million will have been made.

SwordOfShannarah
11-30-2007, 08:29 AM

I personally agree. The media isn't going to report about Ron Paul's website technology, and this drive kills much of the momentum that will make this drive a success. I know this is well intentioned but it seems like a diversion from the real goal of raising as much money as we can all day long.

me3
11-30-2007, 08:34 AM
I know this is well intentioned but it seems like a diversion from the real goal of raising as much money as we can all day long.
Thank you. Exactly how I feel.

I wish people would stop sitting around talking about the money bomb, and start recruiting more people to participate on the money bomb. Fund raising is not a spectator sport.

pickfair
11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Thank you. Exactly how I feel.

I wish people would stop sitting around talking about the money bomb, and start recruiting more people to participate on the money bomb. Fund raising is not a spectator sport.

Well said. I think we should just try to focus on getting the message out and keep the donations flowing all day long. It doesn't matter at which hour we donate as long as we reach our goal... but start early because it's true - momentum builds momentum.

Naraku
11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
It's a way to interest people that wouldn't be interested in donating today.

kylejack
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM

DDOS attacks use compromised machines, so no, that's illegal.

Original_Intent
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I personally agree. The media isn't going to report about Ron Paul's website technology, and this drive kills much of the momentum that will make this drive a success. I know this is well intentioned but it seems like a diversion from the real goal of raising as much money as we can all day long.

Maybe true, but if the "power hour" had been scheduled earlier in the day, even noon Eastern like I originally suggested, it could have made today even bigger.

People get excited by success, a big spike early on could have motivated people.

The point was not for the media to report on Ron Paul's web technology, I think what we were shooting for was that we "wanted to make sure that the servers could handle the expected load on the 16th." The emphasis not being on the servers but that we are concerned that the number of donations will crash the servers. It is funny that you mention a diversion since today is really a diversion from the TeaParty imho. And since today was SUPPOSED to be used to generate interest in the TeaParty, I think having the server stress test would have been an AWESOME way to do it.

Another thing: which would be bigger news that would have attracted media attention? $2 million all day at a steady pace, or $1million raised in an hour?

Madison
11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
$1 million in an hour is a milestone worth reporting on.

tonyr1988
11-30-2007, 10:29 AM
So, is the 7-8pm EST time a certainty? (I didn't read through all the pages)

If so, we need this stickied. Until then, bump!

If not, we need the first post updated, then stickied.

Any chance we could get the campaign to send out an e-mail at 6:45ish begging for money?

Naraku
11-30-2007, 10:32 AM
It's a certainty, that's how it's been told to everyone. With these kinds of donations it should get attention to this idea. This is a great way to get the $12 million!

jp5065
11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Should change the title of the thread to include the time!

Edward
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Should change the title of the thread to include the time!I agree. I do not believe that it is obvious that this is going to happen.

VicVixvi
11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Folks, the timing of this will miss the prime time news shows (6-7p.m. EST). If it doesn't happen by 4 p.m. EST, you will miss ANY CHANCE of it making the evening news.

tonyr1988
11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Folks, the timing of this will miss the prime time news shows (6-7p.m. EST). If it doesn't happen by 4 p.m. EST, you will miss ANY CHANCE of it making the evening news.

There's no way we will hit the news tonight, no matter what happens. What we want to do (AFAIK) is try and hit the news tomorrow. I wouldn't want the news to cover it tonight, because they would make assumptions and predictions about how the day would end up, which could end up hurting us.

Maltheus
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I agree that this should have been scheduled for noon eastern. Building momentum early in the day is far more important than being able to say you've raised $1 million in an hour. And quite frankly, you're not going to accomplish that at 7 anyway (on a Friday no less, during the rest of the country's commute). But once word gets out early that we've beaten all the other republican's 3rd quarter fund raising totals, then I think things have the possibility of taking off to approach or even beat $12 today. It's a long shot to get to $12, but it'll certainly never happen if you wait till tonight to donate.

Naraku
11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Getting to $12 million right now is all that matters so I get your point, but $1 million would put it on that track no matter when. Plus there'd still be four hours left at a time when many people would be home. Besides, I just like the idea of a last-minute sprint to the finish!

Edward
11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Besides, I just like the idea of a last-minute sprint to the finish!I'm down with this. Personally, I don't think we stand a very good chance of generating $1 million in an hour today, but I like that Naraku has been pushing it.

VicVixvi
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Well, darn. I've already given $100 today. Guess I'll just have to dig a bit deeper, eh?

RUN RON RUN. SEE RON RUN. SEE RUDY FALL. SEE MIT STUMBLE. SEE HUCK STAGGER. RUN RON RUN!

tsetsefly
11-30-2007, 11:05 AM
personally I would of given it as early as possible and motivate others...

Naraku
11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I put this up on the Grassroots page:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=497134#post497134

BlueGecko
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Will do

Ronin
11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
I'll bet a $100 donation this won't hit the wires until Monday. Monday the campaign will hold a press conference and issue an AP story. Only then will it get REAL press. Generating news on Friday is not ideal.

Also, the big news isn't going to be reaching RP's goal. The big news will be passing up the front runners. The campaign kinda set themselves up for all this will their email yesterday. We should do everything to beat the $10.2 million Rudy got.

P.S. Please no DDoS. If the SA's are as good as you guys say they are, we don't need to be worrying about that. They know what it can handle. There are many tools SA's use to measure this.

Ball
11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
$100 more on the pile.

I hope I get what I'm paying for

Doc Dewey
11-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Second of the day

Thank you for your generous donation of $25.00!
Contribution received!

Thank you very much for your donation to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

You will receive an email shortly with a confirmation number.

NinjaPirate
11-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Shite, I screwed up, I donated $25 instead of $27!!! :mad:

jumpyg1258
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I have my doubts we are going to make it, right now we are averaging about $1k per minute. That only puts us at $60k for this hour, no where near $1M.

disciple
11-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Thank you for your generous donation of $100.00!

Contribution received!
Thank you very much for your donation to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paulís candidacy.

Tidewise
11-30-2007, 06:37 PM
HAHA - we owned Rudy's third quarter fundraising! Read that Rudy!

Eric23
11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Thank you for your generous donation of $25.00!
Contribution received!

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.