PDA

View Full Version : George Will Welcomes Surge in Liberalism, Says It Will Force Turnaround (WHAT?)

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
This reads like something from the onion, what planet has old George been on?
-----------------------------

With the Jan. 1 inauguration of unabashed liberal Bill de Blasio as mayor of New York, talk has begun of a possible resurgence of the far left.

That would be just fine with George Will.

"Oh, I hope there's the resurgence you talk about," the conservative columnist said on "Fox News Sunday." "There's nothing better for American conservatism than periodic examples of untrammeled liberalism."

President Lyndon Johnson had huge majorities in Congress after his 1964 election and essentially "had his way," Will said. He was able to push through Great Society programs that conservatives argued actually did more harm than good.

The result, Will noted, was that Republicans won five of the next six and seven of the next nine presidential elections.

"Let him have his way in New York City, and let people see what happens," Will said of de Blasio, who has promised to raise taxes on the richest to fund programs such as universal preschool.

Will said there is little science that preschool helps children, but it does help teacher's unions by hiring more dues-paying members.

"I give him three years, and people will be begging for a return to something else," Will said.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/george-will-liberalism-conservative-turnaround/2014/01/05/id/545280#ixzz2pd9HfKFX

WM_in_MO
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
There's that partisanship we all love so much.

Brett85
01-06-2014, 09:22 AM
This is the same argument that some libertarians made for why they wanted Obama to win the election, which is that it would "wake people up" and create a backlash against liberalism.

WM_in_MO
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
This is the same argument that some libertarians made for why they wanted Obama to win the election, which is that it would "wake people up" and create a backlash against liberalism.

Well, I hoped it would create a backlash against BOTH parties...

compromise
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Rand is certainly benefiting from the Obama disaster, but I don't know if that justifies the sheer damage Obama's done.