PDA

View Full Version : NJ steps up anti-prostitution efforts ahead of Super Bowl

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 08:37 AM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Law enforcement agents in New Jersey have redoubled efforts to fight what they worry could be one of the biggest menaces to come with next month's Super Bowl: sex trafficking.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/660/371/Super%20Bowl%20Prostituti_Cham640.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Hundreds of thousands of visitors are expected to descend on New Jersey for the Feb. 2 football game. Many believe the state's sprawling highway system, proximity to New York City and diverse population make it an attractive base of operations for traffickers.

"New Jersey has a huge trafficking problem," said U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., who is also co-chairman of the House anti-human trafficking caucus. "One Super Bowl after another after another has shown itself to be one of the largest events in the world where the cruelty of human trafficking goes on for several weeks."

Law enforcement in New Jersey has worked for years to battle forced prostitution. The state strengthened its human trafficking law in early 2013, but it hit a roadblock in August when a federal judge ruled that a portion of the law that pertains to commercial sex ads posted online may conflict with federal legislation. The state is appealing.

There are scant statistics and much debate over how much sex trafficking increases during a Super Bowl or large sporting event, but it's been enough of a concern to prompt New Jersey and prior Super Bowl host cities to pay attention to it.

Danielle Douglas, a speaker and advocate who identifies herself as a sex trafficking survivor, said any major sporting event attracts sex traffickers looking to make money.

"The Super Bowl is a huge, huge arena for sex trafficking," Douglas said. Some visitors "are coming to the Super Bowl not even to watch football -- they are coming to the Super Bowl to have sex with women, and/or men or children."

Soon after the announcement that the 2014 Super Bowl would be held at MetLife Stadium, New Jersey officials set up training for legions of law enforcement personnel, hospitality workers, high school students, airport employees and others on signs of sex trafficking. Local houses of worship are handing out fliers notifying congregants of warning signs, and truckers are being trained to look for people -- mostly women but also men -- who may be held against their will. Sex trafficking, to be prosecuted as such, must involve -- unlike prostitution -- not only a buyer and seller of sex but also a pimp or trafficker controlling the transaction, according to the New Jersey attorney general's office.

Officials are also warning the public to watch for people who are forced into labor and individual pimps exerting control over young women and men who are oftentimes underage.

"We've enlisted, basically, every service provider that people coming to the Super Bowl are going to run into," Acting Attorney General John J. Hoffman said. "There are a lot of eyes that are going to be on their activities and going to be on spotting potential victims of this crime."

The Super Bowl task force convened by Hoffman's office is comprised of state, local and federal law enforcement officers, community groups, social workers and others. Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli said ads are starting to pop up on Internet sites and law enforcement officials are gleaning information from them.

"When you're about ready to have 400,000 men come to this area of the country," Molinelli said, "you're invariably going to have more people try to take advantage of that by providing prostitutes and prostitution."

Officials in Texas, Louisiana and Indiana strengthened efforts to combat sex trafficking ahead of previous Super Bowls. In Arizona, which will host the 2015 Super Bowl, U.S. Sen. John McCain's wife, Cindy, has been speaking out, calling the Super Bowl the "largest human-trafficking venue on the planet."

It is difficult to ascertain the exact number of trafficking cases in a given year or place because so much of it goes unreported. In 2012, the Polaris Project, a nonprofit that works to combat human trafficking, received 20,652 calls reporting trafficking to its hotline, 330 of which were from New Jersey, said CEO Bradley Myles.

"The overall size of the phenomenon in the United States is much more significant than statistics show," Myles said.

continued at....http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/06/nj-steps-up-anti-prostitution-efforts-ahead-super-bowl/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+%28Interna l+-+US+Latest+-+Text%29

Brett85
01-06-2014, 08:46 AM
This is the kind of thing that confuses people and makes them opposed to legalizing prostitution. The issue of human trafficking and forced prostitution isn't in any way related to legalizing the consensual act of having sex with someone in exchange for money.

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 08:49 AM
This is the kind of thing that confuses people and makes them opposed to legalizing prostitution. The issue of human trafficking and forced prostitution isn't in any way related to legalizing the consensual act of having sex with someone in exchange for money.

Yeah, I started out intending to mock the article, but it seems they are going after the sex slave trade. However, I'm sure there will be plenty of others caught in the net.

tod evans
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Wonder how many whores will miraculously turn into "slaves" upon their arrest?

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
The issue of human trafficking and forced prostitution isn't in any way related to legalizing the consensual act of having sex with someone in exchange for money.

I disagree. It is related in that keeping prostitution illegal increases the human trafficking and forced prostitution trade as it drives the prostitution business underground to the blackmarket.

Brett85
01-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I disagree. It is related in that keeping prostitution illegal increases the human trafficking and forced prostitution trade as it drives the prostitution business underground to the blackmarket.

Yeah, probably right. Most people won't realize that. The social conservatives in particular probably say that legalizing prostitution will cause more human trafficking. I'm a social conservative to some extent, but I still don't believe in throwing people in prison for victimless crimes. There's so many social conservatives in my area who basically believe that the government should ban prostitution because it's a "sin." But yet, I don't think that very many of them would be in favor of banning sex outside of marriage all together, and I don't see how sex outside of marriage is any less of a sin than prostitution.

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah, probably right. Most people won't realize that. The social conservatives in particular probably say that legalizing prostitution will cause more human trafficking. I'm a social conservative to some extent, but I still don't believe in throwing people in prison for victimless crimes. There's so many social conservatives in my area who basically believe that the government should ban prostitution because it's a "sin." But yet, I don't think that very many of them would be in favor of banning sex outside of marriage all together, and I don't see how sex outside of marriage is any less of a sin than prostitution.

At the same time, you can't lay prostitutions illegality at the feet of social conservatives. If S.C.'s were the reason for it being illegal, then there would be a great many places in the U.S. where it was legal since there are a great many states/locales where S.C.'s are the minority and don't have much sway politically.

Brett85
01-06-2014, 10:07 AM
At the same time, you can't lay prostitutions illegality at the feet of social conservatives. If S.C.'s were the reason for it being illegal, then there would be a great many places in the U.S. where it was legal since there are a great many states/locales where S.C.'s are the minority and don't have much sway politically.

True. A lot of liberals are opposed to legalizing it as well. It's not necessarily a right vs. left issue, just like drug legalization really isn't either.

bunklocoempire
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Good point. And the state is all over the place with this consensual good/bad relationship stuff. This is a bit of a tangent and might seem a stretch but IMO it's totally the same thing:

This past week my police frequency scanner has been screaming with weird "domestics". 100% of these calls are from consenting adults.

"My boyfriend is threatening to kill me" And the cops are sent.

"My boyfriend is shooting my dogs" And the cops are sent.

"Remove my violent boyfriend from my property" And the cops are sent.

"My boyfriend set my van on fire" And the cops are sent (and fire too)

As far as I can tell, the state only approves of whoring if it's in your own residence and if the abusive john (state's definition) is a little more of a long term client. The state is a pretty good pimp itself.

I have great compassion for those who find themselves in abusive relationships, but like always, any state "solution" aimed at consenting adults is always a joke.

oyarde
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM
The Garden State ??

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 12:17 PM
The Garden State ??

Yeah? I'd put my NJ garden tomatoes up against yours anytime between July-September.

chudrockz
01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
There's a Super Bowl? Who's in it?!

oyarde
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah? I'd put my NJ garden tomatoes up against yours anytime between July-September.

I am more interested in your beer .

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
I am more interested in your beer .

I'd rather give out the tomatoes, we always end up with more of those than we can eat.

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd rather give out the tomatoes, we always end up with more of those than we can eat.

There is never more beer than you can drink.

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
There is never more beer than you can drink.

Exactly, although I do have a couple dozen homemade that have been aging in the garage or about 2.5years now...
And 5 gallons that have been sitting in the fermenter for about 1.5 years, that I never got around to bottling...

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Exactly, although I do have a couple dozen homemade that have been aging in the garage or about 2.5years now...
And 5 gallons that have been sitting in the fermenter for about 1.5 years, that I never got around to bottling...

Umpph, you might want to give that to the homeless........

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Umpph, you might want to give that to the homeless........

Hrm, or... Hey oyarde, want to try some beer? its vintage!

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM

:D

thoughtomator
01-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Someone give Spitzer the heads up.

oyarde
01-06-2014, 08:49 PM

I might try it , cannot be worse than the green looking stuff my Uncle made in the barn summer of '60 .

oyarde
01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I am on my last Keystone , all I have left is a crock pot full of chili ( with Oyarde's famous onions )Bud Light and Old Grand Dad and it is minus 12 outside.Could be worse , I could be in North Korea with Danke , some bad rice wine and some nasty kimshe with minnows, no ammo , no New York Strips and no Soju, lol

Origanalist
01-07-2014, 12:00 AM
I might try it , cannot be worse than the green looking stuff my Uncle made in the barn summer of '60 .

I remember some disgustingly awful homebrew from the 70's. All I had access to in the 60's were drugs. :)

HOLLYWOOD
01-07-2014, 12:34 AM
"New Jersey has a huge trafficking problem," said U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., who is also co-chairman of the House anti-human trafficking caucus. "One Super Bowl after another after another has shown itself to be one of the largest events in the world where the cruelty of human trafficking goes on for several weeks."Before I start... Congressman Chris Smith is garbage and another bought and paid for statist establishment prostitute. POT=>KETTLE=>BLACK

No one 'traffics' more humans than the U.S. government... GITMO, Prison/Jail, roadside labor, prison labor, forced community service, PEACE CORP, Military Industrial Complex, Prison Industrial Complex, military/DOD, CIA, etc etc etc...

PS: One thing lawyer's defending prostitutes always advise their clients to do is plea for lighter sentencing... "I was forced trafficked into Prostitution..." blah blah

Mani
01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
It always starts out, "It's for the children!!!"

When the real human traffickers are the U.S. Gov't that pays for little boys to be used as sex toys on the other side of the globe. But if you expose that, you're going to jail for 20+ years and will be called a traitor.

Origanalist
01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Before I start... Congressman Chris Smith is garbage and another bought and paid for statist establishment prostitute. POT=>KETTLE=>BLACK

No one 'traffics' more humans than the U.S. government... GITMO, Prison/Jail, roadside labor, prison labor, forced community service, PEACE CORP, Military Industrial Complex, Prison Industrial Complex, military/DOD, CIA, etc etc etc...

PS: One thing lawyer's defending prostitutes always advise their clients to do is plea for lighter sentencing... "I was forced trafficked into Prostitution..." blah blah

So what you're saying is they're lying whores, just like politicians.

DamianTV
01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Isnt it funny how the worlds two oldest professions, Prostitution and Politics, both closely resemble each other?

tod evans
01-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Isnt it funny how the worlds two oldest professions, Prostitution and Politics, both closely resemble each other?

How so?

With a whore at least you get a few minutes of pleasure for your money.....

Danke
01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Could be worse , I could be in North Korea with Danke , some bad rice wine and some nasty kimshe with minnows, no ammo , no New York Strips and no Soju, lol

Huh? Sex is cheap there.

oyarde
01-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Huh? Sex is cheap there.

At my age though there are other concerns , lol I knew you would find this thread.

Origanalist
01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Ate my age though there are other concerns , lol I knew you would find this thread.

Like a moth to the flame....

bunklocoempire
01-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Like a moth to the flame....

like Monarch & Dr. Girlfriend...

hehe

FindLiberty
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Come on now, Heads Up guys... In this modern age of technology, Dude, there's a better solution just around the corner...
Maybe EVERY corner, near YOU too if you sign up for the sex machine territorial franchise right in your immediate area!

That's right, I'm thinkin' redesigned Crimsom Box machines. These machines could dispense legal "medications" too!
They could quickly be put into Full Service, eliminating 50% of the humans involved and therefore put an end to the cruelty of all human trafficking.

Protect the children with an opaque privacy curtain, clearly posted age restrictions and require a secure/obscure credit card (with zip code verification to cover out-of-town guests).

There still could be some turf war disputes that could be worked out and legally resolved in court (not violently acted out on the streets by gangs).
Sure, the local police may still need to get paid-Off, like gettin' a free Donut Job now and then, or sumptin'.
Ya know, 'cause I'd hate to get capped in the arse while re-stocking and or QC testing one of my machines!

If asked about the noise(s), reply that all those strange sounds, vibrations and sighs just sound like more money to me!