PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul gets credit from TheStreet.com

noumenon
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Please e-mail this guy and Thank him for the kind words.

John.Fout@thestreet.com

http://www.thestreet.com/s/crazy-is-not-taking-ron-paul-seriously/markets/marketfeatures/10392055.html?

Crazy Is Not Taking Ron Paul Seriously

By John Fout
TheStreet.com Political Correspondent
11/28/2007 3:14 PM EST
Click here for more stories by John Fout

Articles about Ron Paul and his presidential campaign almost always take one of two stances: Either he's wacky or his supporters are wacky.
The most recent piece comes from Stuart Rothenberg, who writes the Rothenberg Political Report. Rothenberg argues that Paul's wackiness proves both Paul and the Internet's effects on politics need to be ignored. Rothenberg is wrong on both counts.

Rothenberg notices that the Republican congressman from Texas raised lots of money in a single day and received national headlines. Few reporters had written about Paul before then. Despite the shock of Paul's success, Rothenberg downplays the amount of money raised, comparing it to the gobs of money that big hitters like Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Rudy Giuliani have raised.

But the parallel proves poor. Those are major candidates with strong national profiles who can easily tap into key fundraising networks. Professional fundraisers hold events in major cities where big donors line up to give the maximum of $2,300 per person.

This is not how Paul's campaign has raised money. The campaign has given supporters the freedom to do what they want. Supporters have used the Internet to build a grass-roots following. His support is organic.

In fact, the idea for the big Nov. 5 online fundraiser didn't begin with the campaign at all. It came from several Paul enthusiasts who organized it and brought it to fruition. It was a success only because of the intersection of the candidate and the Internet. On that day, more than 35,000 donors gave to the campaign online, and a record of $4.3 million dollars was raised. This would be a great day for any campaign.

In fact, Paul's fundraising has improved every quarter. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, he raised more than $500,000 in the first quarter, $2.5 million in the second and $5.2 million in the third quarter. The campaign is expected to double its third-quarter earnings by the end of this quarter. Paul's campaign Web site shows more than $9.3 million already, and more than a month remains before the end of the quarter.

The campaign's fourth-quarter goal is $12 million. If the campaign hits this number, it would exceed anything gained by any of the Republicans in all of the third quarter (I'm excluding Mitt Romney because of his personal donations to his own campaign). Paul's total for the year would then exceed $20 million, almost exclusively from individuals. How can anyone say with a straight face he doesn't have support?

This money will greatly help the campaign. Paul has been adding staff members and buying more political ads in early states. Paul's poll numbers have been going up in New Hampshire and will be helped by the fact that voters can cross party lines. Paul will have more cash on hand to run ads than either Mike Huckabee or John McCain. I wouldn't even be surprised if he surpasses the amount of money raised by Fred Thompson.

Paul has also done quite well in straw polls across the country. You can check his record on his campaign Web site. Rothenberg criticizes Paul for doing poorly in the polls in both Iowa and Texas, but this is cherry-picking. Paul had only visited Iowa three times before the poll there in August -- the least of any candidate -- yet he still finished fifth, with many voters switching to vote for him. Paul has won many other straw polls.

Falseflagop
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Right brother !! WHo do you think owns CNN< MSNBC, FOX etc etc you get the picture, RON PAUL is their greatest threat !

someguy200
11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Great article, but if you write him a thank you email also try to clarify a few of Pauls stances that he got wrong.

junk the Federal Reserve and return to a gold standard

He actually just wants to legalize competing currencies by removing the legal protection federal reserve notes get, which would be a lot less disruptive than doing a forced total transition to a gold standard.

eliminate government agencies like the IRS, FBI and CIA

Although that's essentially true it needs to be clarified that he still believes in foreign intelligence gathering and some functions of the FBI, just not the out of control, no oversight agencies that they are today. The way it is today the CIA does much more to influence foreign affairs than it does to report about them. About the IRS, it needs to be explained that it's not really that essential in keeping the government machine working, to get rid of it we'd only have to cut spending to what it was 10 years ago.

I think we should be saying "reform" the FBI and CIA instead of getting rid of them, because I'm pretty sure that's what RP actually intends, plus it sounds much more reasonable to first time listeners.

Anyways, it was still a very positive article, just thought it couldn't hurt to politely expand on some of his more complicated issues.

me3
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42880&highlight=thestreet

logolepsy
11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I feel faint... positive press... :eek:

While I agree few inconsistencies with his views, this was a very good article. Bravo!

runderwo
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
He actually just wants to legalize competing currencies

Remember that this is important not just as a hedge against the dollar, which you can already do by buying other central banks' fiat currencies like the Euro as Steve Forbes pointed out in the Kudlow interview, or buying gold and silver certificates.

It is important because if gold and silver currency can be used as legal tender in place of federal reserve notes, it forces the Federal Reserve to be responsible with the money supply, or nobody will hold federal reserve notes. Legalizing true competition to the federal reserve, and not just hedging against the dollar, is what this is all about.

The competition might motivate the Fed to go back on a gold standard as a matter of necessity... The Fed might even adopt a different commodity standard than gold, ironically it might use the competing solid-as-a-rock gold/silver currency itself as the standard!

musicmax
11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
He actually just wants to legalize competing currencies by removing the legal protection federal reserve notes get

Try explaining the concept of "competing currencies" to someone who drinks Bud by the suitcase. They probably think it means using the Canadian dollar, the peso and the Euro.

Adam Smith
11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
John Fout regular writes fair things about Ron Paul. He also responds to email. I've sent him two (recently about this article) and he's written me back both times.

Mark
11-30-2007, 02:05 AM
bump