PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee using Paul's stance on the IRS?

CountryboyRonPaul
11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I nearly fainted when Huckabee came out saying that, we all know this is Paul's strongest issue.

Matthew Zak
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Same here. He got cheered for it. When Ron brought it up he got laughed at.

bobmurph
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Not really. Huckabee has been supporting the Fairtax since he began his campaign.

RP4ME
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Not really. Huckabee has been supporting the Fairtax since he began his campaign.

teh fair tax isnt teh same as what RP supports doing. fairtax sux.
Huck lusts for taxes

hard@work
11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
He's trying to prevent more from leaving his camp and try to get our votes.

There's no way I'll move over, I don't know any supporters that would either.

bbartlog
11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
It's not really the same thing in any case. Paul wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing. Huckabee wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with some agency that collects a national sales tax (the so-called Fair Tax).
I agree that Paul missed a trick when he failed to name the IRS first on this question. But he can't give perfect answers every time.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't even move over if Huckabee wanted to eliminate all taxes.. sorry, I just don't like right wing populists, what can I say? Well, being anti-tax is being anti-populist, just making a point lol

bobmurph
11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
teh fair tax isnt teh same as what RP supports doing. fairtax sux.
Huck lusts for taxes

I agree. But to suggest that Huckabee is "using RP's stance" is absurd. The fairtax calls for elimination of the IRS and the Fairtax has long been part of Huck's platform.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I just don't like Huckabee.. I wouldn't ever vote for him. I hate his face, I think his faith is quirky, I think he talks too much like a preacher, I think he needs to see a dentist, I think he's a right wing populist.. I just never liked him

azminuteman
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, the Fair Tax plan that Duncan Hunter authored.
Still, Huckabee showed that he will steal ideas to get thunder.

I like Pauls plan better, get rid of all of it.

bobmurph
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the Fair Tax plan that Duncan Hunter authored.
Still, Huckabee showed that he will steal ideas to get thunder.

I like Pauls plan better, get rid of all of it.

Hunter did not author the Fairtax...Congressman John Linder (R-GA) did.

azminuteman
11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Hunter did not author the Fairtax...Congressman John Linder (R-GA) did.

You're right. He (Hunter) is a co-sponsor.

Hunter could have brought that up.

pacelli
11-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the timing of Huckabee's comment about getting rid of the IRS demonstrates that he was taking a shot at stealing Paul's thunder on the issue. He made the comment directly after Dr. Paul spoke about the 3 agencies he would change. I think the indicator is in the timing, not necessarily the details.

JaylieWoW
11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
It's not really the same thing in any case. Paul wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing. Huckabee wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with some agency that collects a national sales tax (the so-called Fair Tax).
I agree that Paul missed a trick when he failed to name the IRS first on this question. But he can't give perfect answers every time.

I was disappointed when Ron Paul left that off his list until I realized I was forgetting something Ron Paul also states...

"If you think it is the governments job to take care of us from cradle to grave... you can't get rid of the IRS..."

Now I know he should pound it home just as much as the other candidates but perhaps he is taking a different tactic by saying we need to get rid of this, that and this because REALISTICALLY we cannot get rid of the IRS until these things are gone.

Any candidate who supports the FairTax as being the "elimination" of the IRS is just an outright crook & liar!

werdd
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
No he wants to get rid of the irs, and replace it iwht a 30% national sales tax, thats going to be fun buying gas. Ron Paul is for a real fair tax, a 0% tax.

Paul4Prez
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Except that Huckabee won't end the IRS. With the way the "Fair" tax is structured, you get a big "pre-bate" if you are low income -- i.e., you have to prove your income, just like with the income tax. Either that, or the government sends everyone a big check -- what does that sound like?

Not to mention that the Fair Tax does nothing about cutting spending -- it just shifts how the 3 trillion dollars are collected.

RonPaulCult
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
The "fair tax" is unfair to the middle class and the poor. No tax is fair to everybody