PDA

View Full Version : Liz Cheney Drops Senate Bid

Mr.NoSmile
01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
New York (CNN) -- Liz Cheney, whose upstart bid to unseat Wyoming Sen. Mike Enzi sparked a round of warfare in the Republican Party and even within her own family, is dropping out of the Senate primary, sources told CNN late Sunday.

Cheney, the eldest daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, began telling associates of her decision over the weekend and could make an official announcement about the race as early as Monday.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/05/politics/liz-cheney-senate-race/

So instead of one Cheney establishment Republican, we may still the same establishment Republican. Unless someone good runs.

TaftFan
01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Ooo...beat me to it!

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Smart move on her part. A battle over gay rights with her sister and a humiliating defeat in the Primary would effectively end her political career.

RonPaulMall
01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Hopefully somebody worthy enters the race. Enzi needs to go down.

kahless
01-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Not a fan but did not see this coming. I thought it would be a close race considering her establishment backing and Enzi sponsored a new tax - Marketplace Fairness Act, which she opposed.

Smart move on her part. A battle over gay rights with her sister and a humiliating defeat in the Primary would effectively end her political career.

Opposing gay marriage I think would be a plus in a Conservative state like Wyoming.

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Hopefully somebody worthy enters the race. Enzi needs to go down.
He should at least be challenged by a Republican as punishment for being the main person in the US pushing to increase taxes by billions of dollars and hurt small businesses in all 50 states. He wants poor people to pay taxes on vegetables and fruit. Something is wrong about this man, I tell ya! Just to have it suffer a little was helpful. But if he proposes the worst Senate bill in years and gets it passed in the Senate and doesn't even have a primary challenge, that just tells him to be even more evil in the future because not a single person in WY cares enough to run against him in the primary.

But yeah, she might have been worse.

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Not a fan but did not see this coming. I thought it would be a close race considering her establishment backing and Enzi sponsored a new tax - Marketplace Fairness Act, which she opposed.

Opposing gay marriage I think would be a plus in a Conservative state like Wyoming.

It is now. But 20 years from now, when she will still be young enough to run for office, it will hurt her, if she hasn't come out in favor of same-sex government marriage.

green73
01-06-2014, 12:31 AM
A nation weeps.

kahless
01-06-2014, 12:40 AM
It is now. But 20 years from now, when she will still be young enough to run for office, it will hurt her, if she hasn't come out in favor of same-sex government marriage.

Good point. I can see VP aspirations years down the road.

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2014, 01:10 AM

Probably not enough to win, and probably not worth the family problems created, which would be exploited during a campaign.

Exactly.

HOLLYWOOD
01-06-2014, 01:14 AM
Don't worry, when the time is right, TPTB will find another Senate seat for carpetbagger Liz.

Anti-Neocon
01-06-2014, 04:11 AM
FUCK YOU CNN. Cheney and bloodthirsty chickenhawk neocon warmongerers believe in a "muscular foreign policy", while anyone who doesn't want to bomb up half the countries in the Middle East is an "isolationist". They are completely unashamed in their blatant use of propaganda terms.

Peace&Freedom
01-06-2014, 04:46 AM

Or, the attempts to legally impose acceptance of gay unions and other social liberalism on everybody, including in the red states, may produce a backlash that puts cultural conservative candidates in a stronger position nationally.

Anti-Neocon
01-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Or, the attempts to legally impose acceptance of gay unions and other social liberalism on everybody, including in the red states, may produce a backlash that puts cultural conservative candidates in a stronger position nationally.
And resurgent Whig and Bull Moose parties will dominate the political landscape... and Lindsey Graham will find a prospective war that he doesn't like.

Bastiat's The Law
01-06-2014, 05:02 AM
Neocons throwing in the towel! Let's keep it up gang!

First Syria and now this. Positive signs.

Peace&Freedom
01-06-2014, 07:12 AM
And resurgent Whig and Bull Moose parties will dominate the political landscape... and Lindsey Graham will find a prospective war that he doesn't like.

I'm just saying, we don't have to buy into the self-serving "force of destiny" or "right side of history" notions of the social left. There is no evidence that the red states are going anywhere, culturally speaking, and they don't take kindly to being bullied into "accepting homosexuality will be made compulsory on pain of death" dogmas of authoritarians.

Inkblots
01-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Excellent news. I'm glad to see Carpetbagger Liz and her evil ideology out of the 2014 race. Now we just need to worry about Lindsey Graham and Tom Cotton and the rest of the gang...

Tywysog Cymru
01-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Hopes for 2014:

Enzi defeats Cheney
Bevin defeats McConnell
Someone defeats Graham
Amash survives primary
Massie survives primary

Anti-Neocon
01-06-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm just saying, we don't have to buy into the self-serving "force of destiny" or "right side of history" notions of the social left. There is no evidence that the red states are going anywhere, culturally speaking, and they don't take kindly to being bullied into accepting "homosexuality will be made compulsory on pain of death" dogmas of authoritarians.
Do polls not count as evidence? These states still may be more socially conservative than not but you can't deny the trend.

Bastiat's The Law
01-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Excellent news. I'm glad to see Carpetbagger Liz and her evil ideology out of the 2014 race. Now we just need to worry about Lindsey Graham and Tom Cotton and the rest of the gang...

More trash to clean out.

Tywysog Cymru
01-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Do polls not count as evidence? These states still may be more socially conservative than not but you can't deny the trend.

Eventually we'll get to a point where it's going to be harder to convince new people to support gay marriage.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM
And nothing of value was lost.

specsaregood
01-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Don't worry, when the time is right, TPTB will find another Senate seat for carpetbagger Liz.

As I said before; this was never a serious race for her. This was all about name recognition and building for a FUTURE candidacy. She never intended to take out a sitting establishment gop member.

Peace&Freedom
01-06-2014, 09:34 AM

I don't deny what's happening in the BLUE states, the issue is what's happening in the rest of the country, and most of the world. Supporters of gay marriage have pushed a framework on the issue (based on certain polls) that ignores thousands of years of history, and the preponderant view of most people on the globe.

Opposition to sexual immorality is never going away, and will most likely grow as governments and the media try to impose acceptance of it on them in ever more draconian ways (as seen by the recent Robertson episode). The proper liberty approach is tolerance of it as a matter of personal freedom, but not to support the social liberal attempts to legislate its acceptance, let alone calling it progress.

Tywysog Cymru
01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't deny what's happening in the BLUE states, the issue is what's happening in the rest of the country, and most of the world. Supporters of gay marriage have pushed a framework on the issue (based on certain polls) that ignores thousands of years of history, and the preponderant view of most people on the globe.

Opposition to sexual immorality is never going away, and will most likely grow as governments and the media try to impose acceptance of it on them in ever more draconian ways (as seen by the recent Robertson episode). The proper liberty approach is tolerance of it as a matter of personal freedom, but not to support the social liberal attempts to legislate its acceptance, let alone calling it progress.

Exactly. The movement to legalize weed doesn't try to force acceptance of using the substance or try to demonize people who don't agree with them. Why can't the gay marriage supporters do the same?

01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Neocons throwing in the towel! Let's keep it up gang!

First Syria and now this. Positive signs.

Uh, in case you didn't know Enzi is a neocon and now will hold his seat.

Bastiat's The Law
01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

Cheney is worse and younger. She would've remained a fixture in the Senate for 30 years. Her victory would've been trumpeted as the reemergence of neoconservatism.

angelatc
01-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Beyond the campaign missteps, Cheney's election effort, vigorously supported by her father and his allies, often felt out-of-tune with the small-government conservative sentiment that has fueled other Republican primary challengers.

And yet the media keeps telling us that the TEA Party movement is dead.

Bastiat's The Law
01-06-2014, 11:42 AM
This was a proxy battle between the Liberty Movement and the neocons. We have beaten them, but they'll come back.

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_full/v1364991159/william-wallace.jpg

compromise
01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

He's not really a neocon. He's certainly influenced by them on some issues, but he's with us on others too like foreign aid and infinite detention.

Rather different from Cheney and Cotton, who are the twin saviors of the Weekly Standard.

kahless
01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
He's not really a neocon. He's certainly influenced by them on some issues, but he's with us on others too like foreign aid and infinite detention.

Rather different from Cheney and Cotton, who are the twin saviors of the Weekly Standard.

Enzi's bill to eliminate taxation with representation would subject a business to any one of 9600 tax jurisdictions in the US for which a business or person could be audited makes this guy a royal corporatist scumbag. The only companies that have the resources to manage that are the size of Amazon which lobbied for it and Walmart.

No doubt it will be used as a political tool in some districts for which you have no voice.

cajuncocoa
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I think Ms. Cheney's failure is more symbolic than substantive. It's good that the Cheney brand goes down in defeat even if her opponent is not much better. Bush/Cheney should be on notice that we won't put up with their shenanigans ever again.

compromise
01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
This decision by Ms. Cheney was caused predominantly by the great work of Senator Rand Paul. A political genius, Rand's endorsement sowed enough doubt among the WY Tea Partiers to deny Cheney traction in the primary polls.

kahless
01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
This decision by Ms. Cheney was caused predominantly by the great work of Senator Rand Paul. A political genius, Rand's endorsement sowed enough doubt among the WY Tea Partiers to deny Cheney traction in the primary polls.

I understand the strategy, I just hope now a liberty candidate would step forward to crush Enzi in the primary.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Good, now take down Enzi.

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm just saying, we don't have to buy into the self-serving "force of destiny" or "right side of history" notions of the social left. There is no evidence that the red states are going anywhere, culturally speaking, and they don't take kindly to being bullied into accepting "homosexuality will be made compulsory on pain of death" dogmas of authoritarians.

Maine voted to ban same sex government marriage. Several years later, Maine voted to legalize same sex marriage. Folks in CO and VA used to be against it too. In NH, it stated as civil union. 2 years later it was same sex marriage in a close vote. 2 years later the Republicans had 70% in the House and the majority of House Republicans voted to stick with marriage and not go back to civil unions. It's only a matter of time before people in MT, AZ, WY, NC, FL, MO, WI, MI and eventually, even MS and GA support this.

Not to mention federal law has already moved in favor of it recently and will come out banning the laws in MS and GA against it just like the Feds did with the laws that prevented blacks and whites from marrying and the laws that made having butt sex a felony. Take a poll in MS now. The majority support people of different skin colors being allowed to legally marry. Even in GA, the majority don't think all gays should spend life in prison. Here is how it works. Tolerance creates tolerance. Once person after person sees that the world did fall apart when every single gay was thrown in jail... when their own daughter came out as gay for a year of college...

kahless
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Maine voted to ban same sex government marriage. Several years later, Maine voted to legalize same sex marriage. Folks in CO and VA used to be against it too. In NH, it stated as civil union. 2 years later it was same sex marriage in a close vote. 2 years later the Republicans had 70% in the House and the majority of House Republicans voted to stick with marriage and not go back to civil unions. It's only a matter of time before people in MT, AZ, WY, NC, FL, MO, WI, MI and eventually, even MS and GA support this.

Not to mention federal law has already moved in favor of it recently and will come out banning the laws in MS and GA against it just like the Feds did with the laws that prevented blacks and whites from marrying and the laws that made having butt sex a felony. Take a poll in MS now. The majority support people of different skin colors being allowed to legally marry. Even in GA, the majority don't think all gays should spend life in prison. Here is how it works. Tolerance creates tolerance. Once person after person sees that the world did fall apart when every single gay was thrown in jail... when their own daughter came out as gay for a year of college...

What you describe is government forcing their religious beliefs on it's citizens and interfering in religious - spiritual matters. The only reason they got involved in the first place was to prevent interracial marriages. Government enacting any form of marriage or tax legislation is discriminatory against those whom do not receive the benefit.

Conservatives and Libertarians need to be more forceful in making these points for the purpose of getting the government out of the marriage business altogether.

Peace&Freedom
01-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Progressively criminalizing the traditional view out of existence is a curious concept of "tolerance." Regardless of our opposing views, the impulse to legislate either morality or immorality is not a liberty position, and so doomed to failure. If we are going to be consistent with our views, our future vision should be oriented towards believing these trends towards more force will ultimately not prevail.

Maine et al mentioned above are mainly either blue or swing states in the Presidential elections. Also please note that the loaded framing of the subject (as a civil rights issue) is disputed, as at least half of us don't believe gays are born that way, or are being victimized. That view is a social liberal position, not a liberty one.

Anti-Neocon
01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
The great work of Senator Rand Paul is also helping McConnell stay ahead of Bevin.

anaconda
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM

As I recall I had to unsubscribe multiple times to finally rid myself of her emails for $$$.

anaconda
01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Bush/Cheney should be on notice that we won't put up with their shenanigans ever again.

We seem to be putting up with perhaps even more of it here in the Obama administrations. Thanks goodness for people like Rand, Amash, Snowden, Greenwald, etc.

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
What you describe is government forcing their religious beliefs on it's citizens and interfering in religious - spiritual matters. The only reason they got involved in the first place was to prevent interracial marriages. Government enacting any form of marriage or tax legislation is discriminatory against those whom do not receive the benefit.

Conservatives and Libertarians need to be more forceful in making these points for the purpose of getting the government out of the marriage business altogether.
You make a lot of good points. At least in NH, people actually used the legislature to try to get government out of marriage. Unfortunately, it wasn't successful because among other reasons, it was said to mean that marriages that happen in NH wouldn't be recognized anywhere else in the nation or federally, I believe. As we all know, anyone can get any type of marriage whenever they want, as long as it isn't a government marriage.

On the other hand, I have no idea why you mentioned religion. Government marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage as far as same sex couples go. Religious aren't forced to make marriages happen for anyone. Are you sure you meant to bring religion into this because I find it highly confusing and unrelated to my comments?

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Maine et al mentioned above are mainly either blue or swing states in the Presidential elections. Also please note that the loaded framing of the subject (as a civil rights issue) is disputed, as at least half of us don't believe gays are born that way, or are being victimized. That view is a social liberal position, not a liberty one.

I don't care if a lady, for some reason, refers to herself as a gay person. If she wants to call herself gay for some reason, that's her right. The idea, and not that I'm pushing it or agree with it, is that it is a violation of Sally's rights for her to be able to marry Randy but not Carol.

My point is that the direction is moving in the mindset I mentioned above, not the mindset you mentioned. So you can hold your beliefs and I can hold mine, but the folks in the country as a whole don't care what we think. There will come a time when 90% of people support legalizing same sex marriage.

http://www.people-press.org/files/2013/03/3-20-13-1.png

http://www.people-press.org/files/2013/03/3-20-13-2.png

http://www.people-press.org/files/2013/03/3-20-13-3.png

vita3
01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Liz Cheney is a quitter.

Working Poor
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Her last name should end her political career.

Peace&Freedom
01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
I don't care if a lady, for some reason, refers to herself as a gay person. If she wants to call herself gay for some reason, that's her right. The idea, and not that I'm pushing it or agree with it, is that it is a violation of Sally's rights for her to be able to marry Randy but not Carol.

My point is that the direction is moving in the mindset I mentioned above, not the mindset you mentioned. So you can hold your beliefs and I can hold mine, but the folks in the country as a whole don't care what we think. There will come a time when 90% of people support legalizing same sex marriage.

The truth still matters, including the truth that there is a dispute over social liberal presumptions constantly baked into this topic. E.g., no person has a "right" to declare themselves something that does not even exist, as homosexuality is a choice, not an inborn condition, and these self declared "gays" are not a civil rights group. The millenials have not been sold on gay marriage based on the substance, but on relentless media packaging. However, it's mostly the dying media that has pushed this line, while the alternative media allows true exchanges on the issue.

The stats mentioned curiously leave out 3 important caveats: 1) the generation after the millenials, who are preponderantly being born in the RED states, while the more liberal blue states lead in decline in births---meaning the newest generation will probably be conservative and overtake (or at least offset) the millenials' bias. 2) The numbers are not broken down by region or state, which leads me to suggest that the great majority of the 70% millenials favoring gay marriage are from the liberal states. 3) Most younger voters under 35 do not even vote, so the 70%'s influence on the elections, if any, will not be felt for another decade.

Keith and stuff
01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
The millenials have not been sold on gay marriage based on the substance, but on relentless media packaging. However, it's mostly the dying media that has pushed this line, while the alternative media allows true exchanges on the issue.

The majority of millenials I know are either currently bisexual/gay/whatever they want to call the themselves or have partaken in some sort of same sex activity in the past. That's my guess on why millenials feel the way they do on this issue.

Here's millenials on marijuana. The majority of millenials I know are either current regular users of marijuana or have partaken in some sort of marijuana consumption in the past.

Bergie Bergeron
01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Didn't think I would read this in 2014.

angelatc
01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Howdid this turn into yet another gay people thread? Liz isn't the gay Cheney.

Kotin
01-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Enzi is no great senator but this is still a win in my book..

RandallFan
01-07-2014, 11:09 PM
It is like Christie claiming to be a conservative because he shouts at people when he is probably less conservative than Tim Pawlenty.

Occam's Banana
01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
How did this turn into yet another gay people thread? Liz isn't the gay Cheney.

Collateral damage.

Occam's Banana
01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
A nation weeps.

More than one nation. And with joy.

Brian4Liberty
01-08-2014, 01:13 AM
And by pure coincidence, Enzi signed on to sponsor the new Iran Sanctions Bill this week...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?440154-50-Senators-Now-Cosponsor-Iran-Sanctions-Bill

Keith and stuff
01-08-2014, 01:58 AM
And by pure coincidence, Enzi signed on to sponsor the new Iran Sanctions Bill this week...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?440154-50-Senators-Now-Cosponsor-Iran-Sanctions-Bill

Awesome! All of 'em should be blown up because America and stuff! Freedom!