PDA

View Full Version : Antarctic Expedition to Plant 'Thousands of Trees' to Off Set Carbon Footprint of Rescue

Origanalist
01-05-2014, 07:10 PM
The hapless Australasian Antarctic Expedition is finally homeward bound - and thousands of trees will have to be planted to offset the carbon footprint from the prolonged rescue effort.

The Russian research vessel Akademik Shokalskiy became stuck in thick pack ice some 3000km southwest of Bluff on Christmas Eve.

The 52 passengers, including six New Zealanders, spent eight days trapped before a helicopter from the Chinese ship Xue Long transferred them to Australian vessel Aurora Australis, which will take them to Hobart.

Yesterday, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said the Xue Long's attempt to manoeuvre through the ice had been unsuccessful and it was now also beset by ice.

The expedition had pledged to plant about 800 kauri trees in Northland to cover its carbon footprint. Environmentalists believe planting trees helps to offset the impact of burning fuels such as diesel.

But former Act Party leader and Herald on Sunday columnist Rodney Hide said that would have to increase to about 5000 trees to make up for the fossil fuels burned in the rescue.

Expedition leader Chris Turney said more trees would be needed than earlier estimated but he was yet to work out how many.

Meanwhile, expedition members were "in fine spirits", and the crews still on the Akademik Shokalskiy and the Xue Long were confident they would break free of the pack ice. The scientific team had been recreating the 1911-to-1913 voyage of Australian explorer Douglas Mawson to Antarctica.

In an interview with AFP yesterday director of the French Polar Institute Yves Frenot criticised the "pseudo-scientific expedition".

Because it had run into difficulties, it had drained resources from the French, Chinese and Australian scientific missions in Antarctica, he said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11181470

Petar
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
When did science become a new-age pagan cult?

Origanalist
01-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Hmmm, I'll have to ponder that one for a bit. It's been going on for a while. Not all science, obviously.

oyarde
01-05-2014, 07:40 PM

Global warming shit is like some cult of worship. Only worse , if somebody is doing that normally it is not scheming to raise the electric bill to pay for it .

Zippyjuan
01-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I am for planting trees and trying to reduce pollution but using them as "carbon offsets" to me is rediculous. Planting trees in Australia will not compensate fuel burned in Antarctica. Nor does replanting rain forests in Brazil help reduce pollution in Chicago. Plants are only temporary storage anyways- when they die, their carbon is again released.

Not to mention the fuel needed to plant and fertilize and water the trees.

Plant trees and reduce pollution. Just quit pretending that one really offsets the other.

tod evans
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Plant more trees lumber prices are through the roof!

LibForestPaul
01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Global warming shit is like some cult of worship. Only worse , if somebody is doing that normally it is not scheming to raise the electric bill to pay for it .

Without global warming, we don't get the carbon exchanges. Progess comrade!

Petar
01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I am for planting trees and trying to reduce pollution but using them as "carbon offsets" to me is rediculous. Planting trees in Australia will not compensate fuel burned in Antarctica. Nor does replanting rain forests in Brazil help reduce pollution in Chicago. Plants are only temporary storage anyways- when they die, their carbon is again released.

Not to mention the fuel needed to plant and fertilize and water the trees.

Plant trees and reduce pollution. Just quit pretending that one really offsets the other.

The problem is that these people have managed to conflate pollution with CO2.

I know that you don't believe in conspiracies, but whipping the globe up into an anti CO2 frenzy is how the ultra-rich/powerful intend to regulate/ultimately corporatize all energy/development on this planet.