PDA

View Full Version : UK Seizing Obese Children from Overfeeding Families

Origanalist
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Social workers take children from families who overfeed them

OBESE children have been taken from their families by social workers because of fears that overfeeding was wrecking their health.

One child had a BMI measurement of 35, which for a six-foot man would mean weighing 19st.

Britain's obesity epidemic, which sees NHS hospitals dealing with 1,000 cases every day, is a reversal of the traditional problem when children were undernourished. Increasingly social workers find youngsters being fed a high-fat, sugary diet, which can be just as bad for their health.

The phenomenon is known as "killing with kindness" because the child craves the unhealthy food and a loving parent feels unable to say no.

Professionals say they have to make complex decisions in care proceedings and a family's gross over-eating can be one of the factors that leads to them losing their children.

A Sunday Express survey of councils found that in the past year five children were taken from their families for that reason: two in Wake-field, West Yorkshire, one in Oxfordshire, one in Salford and one in Hounslow, London.

The previous 12 months saw five similar cases in Sheffield, Portsmouth, Lincolnshire, Slough and Harrow, London.

A social worker said: "Only in extreme cases would we take a child into care just because of their weight as we would seek to work with the family to improve their eating habits."

Ex-Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson warned in 2006 that health chiefs would look at removing children from their families if they became super-sized, risking their health.

The first reported case took place in 2007 when an eight-year-old girl from Cumbria, who had to wear size 16 clothes, was taken into care weighing 10st.

Figures from hospitals show a 10-fold increase in obesity-related cases in the past 10 years
The nation's obesity problems have also been uncovered in figures from hospitals in England showing there were 356,072 individual care sessions last year where the patient was deemed to be suffering from obesity or an illness or injury that could have been brought on by being too fat.

It is the first time the NHS has released the statistics in this way and shows how the nation's bulging waistlines are putting extra stress on hospitals' limited resources.

continued at...http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/450907/Social-workers-take-children-from-families-who-overfeed-them

Christian Liberty
01-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah, this is why a distinction needs to be made between "abuse" and "probably bad parenting."

If you aren't willing to kill the parent to "protect the children" if need be, it doesn't justify intervention.

If we used that standard, and had SANE people, we wouldn't have this kind of nonsense every sane person would know the difference between true neglect (Such as a child being starved) or physical/sexual abuse, and things that might be bad parenting choices but are not inherently abusive.

The problem is, government is not sane and has no problem killing anyone for any reason. So: abolish CPS. If you think a child is being abused, you take the child out of that situation yourself, and defend your actions before a jury.

Ender
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, this is why a distinction needs to be made between "abuse" and "probably bad parenting."

If you aren't willing to kill the parent to "protect the children" if need be, it doesn't justify intervention.

If we used that standard, and had SANE people, we wouldn't have this kind of nonsense every sane person would know the difference between true neglect (Such as a child being starved) or physical/sexual abuse, and things that might be bad parenting choices but are not inherently abusive.

The problem is, government is not sane and has no problem killing anyone for any reason. So: abolish CPS. If you think a child is being abused, you take the child out of that situation yourself, and defend your actions before a jury.

The "problem" is that the great American diet (and apparently UK) puts weight on people and is difficult to lose. Also, marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.

Christian Liberty
01-05-2014, 07:10 PM
The "problem" is that the great American diet (and apparently UK) puts weight on people and is difficult to lose. Also, marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.

That is a problem, but its not THE problem. THE problem here is the government intervention.

Feeding the Abscess
01-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Her dress maker gave measurements of 5'5.5", 118-125 pounds and a 22-23 inch waist. Marilyn Monroe is pretty much the antithesis of fat, and the 'she was a plus-size beauty' meme is fat women trying to make themselves feel better about being fat.

Even shorter: Monroe had the ass, hips, and breasts of a much larger woman on a small frame.

angelatc
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Her dress maker gave measurements of 5'5.5", 118-125 pounds and a 22-23 inch waist. Marilyn Monroe is pretty much the antithesis of fat, and the 'she was a plus-size beauty' meme is fat women trying to make themselves feel better about being fat.

Even shorter: Monroe had the ass, hips, and breasts of a much larger woman on a small frame.

By today's standards, that is plus size. Models typically are at least 5'10" and weigh less than 120. She wore a size 8 in the current size standards. I am 2" taller than her, but wore a 8 at 112 lbs when I was younger, and you could see my ribs.

Feeding the Abscess
01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
By today's standards, that is plus size. Models typically are at least 5'10" and weigh less than 120. She wore a size 8 in the current size standards. I am 2" taller than her, but wore a 8 at 112 lbs when I was younger, and you could see my ribs.

If you were 5'8", 112 pounds but a size 8, I want to see pictures, because those are almost Jessica Rabbit proportions.

EDIT: I also don't buy Marilyn being frowned upon in today's environment. She had a much trimmer waist than Kate Upton, and Kate Upton isn't considered a plus size model, nor is she hurting for work.

angelatc
01-05-2014, 08:21 PM
If you were 5'8", 112 pounds but a size 8, I want to see pictures, because those are almost Jessica Rabbit proportions.

As far as I know there aren't any pictures me on the internet and I'm probably not going to change that. But as I've said before...I lived in Clearwater when Hooters was being founded. One of the owners saw me at Dunedin Beach one day and offered me a job. I miss that body LOL!

I was only 5'7" but I was indeed 112 lbs and a size 8. And I was considered too short to be a model, but a size 8 was considered a big size for them. (not that I had aspirations of being a model...)

EDIT: I also don't buy Marilyn being frowned upon in today's environment. She had a much trimmer waist than Kate Upton, and Kate Upton isn't considered a plus size model, nor is she hurting for work.

I think that when peope say Marilyn would have been a plus size, they are speaking in modeling terms. Obviously she was not obese.

If this site is right, (http://healthyceleb.com/kate-upton-height-weight-body-statistics/875)Kate Upton is 5'10" and 135 #. That would put her in a size 12-14.

But she looks healthy, as in - you can't see her ribs, or her clavicle, or her vertebrae. That's unusual in the modeling world.

Feeding the Abscess
01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
As far as I know there aren't any pictures me on the internet and I'm probably not going to change that. But as I've said before...I lived in Clearwater when Hooters was being founded. One of the owners saw me at Dunedin Beach one day and offered me a job. I miss that body LOL!

I was only 5'7" but I was indeed 112 lbs and a size 8. And I was considered too short to be a model, but a size 8 was considered a big size for them. (not that I had aspirations of being a model...)

I think that when peope say Marilyn would have been a plus size, they are speaking in modeling terms. Obviously she was not obese.

Your husband is (was?) a lucky man.

Go primal and get that body back! Here's what it did for me:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?403759-Exercise-Workout-Thread&p=5317889&viewfull=1#post5317889

Origanalist
01-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Well, since the thread has already derailed :D

http://i.imgur.com/dLaZ3Pd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FFskYIB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t4sK2x5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OCBrns8.jpg

heavenlyboy34
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
lol^^ :D

idiom
01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Overfeeding your kids is abusive, same as overfeeding pets.

However the overfeeding mostly happens because the government indoctrinates people to have a high carb diet. No special interests pushing that cart along...

green73
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM

I would think she was downright skinny by today's standards.

ObiRandKenobi
01-05-2014, 11:56 PM
that is so compassionate

donnay
01-06-2014, 01:32 AM
This is truly insane. I see this coming to our shores very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5YuTDDSpgA&list=PLKkSfhYk-XBi-m1gIojKKvNE4um-x8qGI