PDA

View Full Version : Attack Ideas Not Character

Angel
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
I was watching the debates with a local meetup and met some new RP supporters, who were all very cool. Afterwards, we got into dicussions, and Obama's name was brought up. One of them started to rail on Obama, talking about how he had purchased his house through the help of criminal contacts.

I have no idea the facts behind the accusations, but I began to grow a bit defensive. I didn't retort, but simply stated that my support is with RP and not Obama so it was irrelevant to convince me of these things. I was reflecting on this a bit later, wondering why I bristled at what he was saying and I realized that this was just politics-as-usual. It was swiftboating, attacking the candidate's character rather than his issues. This was the reason I became so disgusted with politics, that is, before Dr. Paul.

If I was an Obama supporter (and if it wasn't for Ron Paul, I would probably be one, so you know where I lie with this), my first reactions would be to circle the wagons and start sniping RP, bringing up the donations by white supremacists and, of course, the dreaded newsletter in 1992. All of which is bunk, honestly, but this would be about taking cheap shots at that point. Obama supporters, in partcularly, support him beacuse of his character. They like HIM. That's his strength and no amount of scandal or character assasination will dissuade them of that, and you've just lost a potential RP supporter for good. They will quickly associate RP with you and bunch him together with the rest of the republicans and that will reinforce their decision for Obama, since he seems like such a nice guy and above all of that trash-talk. And it would be a shame, since Obama's real weakness is the lack of clarity in his issues.

I would strongly suggest that, with any supporter of another candidate, you avoid anything that attacks who they are as a person. Get to know the other candidate's positions so that you are well informed. Stay away from this tabloid-scandal crap. It will do you no good. Ask them what issues are most important to them and ask them what their candidate's stance is on it. Do it in a way that seems as if you want them to win YOU over. Then you politely poke holes in the issues and show them why RP's vision is a much wiser course of action. If they continue to hold firm, cut your losses. You represent Ron Paul in a very direct way in other people's minds. You are a walking, talking, breathing billboard for Ron Paul. Make it a positive experience and they will at least say, "well at least I like the kind of people who support him".

I use Obama as an example here, but it is true of the rest of them as well. A grassroots oragnizer in LA for Obama, who orgainized 2500 people, just recently closed shop, stating that he is putting all of his support behind RP, even though he still feels Obama would make a good president (www.obamala.com). That is how powerful Ron Paul's message is. Supporters of McCain, Huckabee, Kucinich, Edwards and most of the other dems can easily be turned as well. It is all in the way that you approach them that is the key.

Encourage other Paulites to keep it positive and stick to the issues as well. WWRPD, right?

reaver
11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Excellent post. On a side note.. if I get the chance to talk to Obama I'm gonna tell him that I'm his eighth cousin and that makes him my crazy old uncle[ala cheney]. Seriously this is the first thing I mention- Ideas are fair game.