PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Party Changed Deadline?

Paul4Prez
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
The main campaign site shows a party change deadline of November 30th for Louisiana, but the primary and caucus schedule page says January 10th. The link to Louisiana info is broken, too.

I checked the Louisiana state site, and it says the party change deadline is 30 days before the election, which would be January 10th.

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/457/Default.aspx

How can I change my party affiliation? (R.S. 18:107(B))

Your party affiliation can be changed by simply sending your Registrar of Voters a written note requesting your party change (including signature), or by completing another application. Please note: if you are changing your party right before an election, it must be done 30 days prior to an election. Party changes received after book closing for an election cannot be in effect until the next election.

PennCustom4RP
11-29-2007, 05:24 PM
From what I have heard from meetup group here in SWLA, the deadline is tomorrow, Nov 30

torchbearer
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
November 30th is a state GOP rule, not a state law. state law states 30 days prior to election. GOP by-laws read, to participate in the delegate process in any form you must be register GOP by November 30th 4 pm.

torchbearer
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I bit the bullet, did it... and now looking to be a delegate. we need delegates. asap. all over the state. contact you local meet-up organizer, they have the info you need.

torchbearer
11-29-2007, 05:31 PM
To change party affiliation, go to your parish courthouse, find the registrar of voters office, ask the nice clerk for a change of party application.... fill it out there... bring your current voter card and id, it will help when filling out the required info, or you could bug your clerk about what precint/ward you are in etc.

there is an online form, but i don't trust a mailed in form will make it in time now.

jenninlouisiana
11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
The Nov. 30th deadline is for people who want to be potential delegates. If you aren't a registered Republican today and want to be a potential delegate, you MUST go in person to your registrar of voters and change in person tomorow.

That's how I read it anyway. I could be wrong.

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Portals/0/elections/pdf/Calendar-2008-elections.pdf

January 9th is the last day to register to vote. Perhaps changing parties is different???

torchbearer
11-30-2007, 08:13 PM
January 9th is the last day to register to vote. Perhaps changing parties is different???

Changing parties is not different under state law. I had a long talk with the lady at the Registrar of Voters Office.