PDA

View Full Version : Time rating candidates

Bradley in DC
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1688907_1688906_1688901,00.html

Ron Paul
Grade: C-
Right on message for his enthusiastic core supporters on issues of national security, Iraq, and government spending. But bragged too much about his fundraising and did nothing to expand his reach.
by Mark Halperin

thegearbox
11-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I guess his one sentance about it is bragging? Time is such a joke.

ashlux
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM

That's what I was thinking. From what I remember, he mentioned $4.3m and top GOP candidate for the military. One relevant to the question and one relevant to McCain's charge that the military feels all sad and depressed by RP's message.

Whoever wrote this knows these are true and doesn't like it. So, obviously it's bragging.

partypooper
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM

it was bragging actually - i thought that as well as i saw it. not the sentence about the military donations (that was good, though it makes him very vulnerable if the success is not repeated this quarter) but the one about nov 5th and the 5000 people rally and how there goes a revolution in the country.

angrydragon
11-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Bragging? WTF? Romney, Rudy, Huckabee were bragging.

awitelin
11-29-2007, 10:34 AM
it was bragging actually - i thought that as well as i saw it. not the sentence about the military donations (that was good, though it makes him very vulnerable if the success is not repeated this quarter) but the one about nov 5th and the 5000 people rally and how there goes a revolution in the country.

So I suppose next time when RP is told he can't win, he should lay down and say, "Okay, you're right." Come ON now. When your viability as a candidate is challenged, that is an invitation to toot your own damn horn.

partypooper
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
if i remember well, he was asked if he would run as a third party. he began very well by pointing out that he was elected as a republican 10 times. i think he should have proceeded in that direction by stressing arguments to the point that he truly belongs to the republican party, perhaps mentioning the goldwater endorsment or something to the point.

instead, he wandered into bragging about money, rallies and topped it with the story of revolution that other people are not seeing and which can only turn them off. he could have mentioned that he had raised a lot of money (but more calmly with less detail) and then point out to the trend in the polls, and how that trend corresponds with the attention he was given, and how he is given much less attention than anybody else (as some studies have shown).

FSP-Rebel
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
So I suppose next time when RP is told he can't win, he should lay down and say, "Okay, you're right." Come ON now. When your viability as a candidate is challenged, that is an invitation to toot your own damn horn.
No one is gonna toot it better than Ron, especially uncomfortable truths regarding (military) donations and rally sizes.

Green Mountain Boy
11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
It's kind of hard for him to "expand his reach" when he's not given the opportunity to.

mconder
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Seriously. RP's answers had some hard core content last night and this is what they come up with.

CelestialRender
11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Everyone got poor grades, guys. Huck got the best, with a B+. I thought the coverage was pretty fair, although a little slanted against him.

If you wanna see him trash someone though, look at Hunter and Tancredo.

Pete
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
RP significantly expanded his reach with his remarks about the NAU, and proposing that watchers do their own research because they'll never hear anything about it otherwise.

That answer had a time-delay fuse on it.