PDA

View Full Version : High Demand: Price of legal marijuana soars in Colorado

CaseyJones
01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/02/22149509-high-demand-price-of-legal-marijuana-soars-in-colorado?lite

The high times in Colorado are coming with high costs for cannabis consumers.

Hemp hunters who waited for hours early Wednesday to be among the first to legally purchase marijuana from state retailers found sticker shock at cash registers.

“I think people were a little bit surprised at the price,” said Rachel Gillette, executive director of the Colorado chapter of NORML, a national nonprofit seeking to make marijuana use legal nationwide. “We are concerned about that.”

On the first day of legal weed sales, Gillette said she found retailers selling top-shelf marijuana to recreational users at prices close to $400 per ounce, not including taxes.

For comparison, medical marijuana users, who’ve been able to buy weed from Colorado dispensaries since 2010, are currently paying around $250 an ounce plus taxes, she said.

The state does not impose any pricing structure for pot purveyors, leaving the market open to supply and demand. One dispensary was selling high-quality marijuana on Wednesday at $70 for one-eighth of an ounce — a markup from $25 for the same amount the day before, according to The Associated Press.

FSP-Rebel
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Long live black market prices

Kotin
01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the black market thrives even more in states that legalize.. It must if it thrives even under intense scrutiny

FSP-Rebel
01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
In related news, apparently these cannabis dispensaries don't take credit or debit, only cash or wait for it: __---> Bitcoins.
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/01/03/can-now-use-bitcoin-generate-tax-revenue-colorado-buying-marijuana/ If this is the case, probably not a good idea to deal from same wallet.

FrankRep
01-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Why are the prices so high? When more pot stores open up, the prices will come down.

dannno
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
They will come down, the supply just needs to catch up.

dillo
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Tax and Spend politicians are really gonna clash with the homeland security black ops funding politicians over this.

FindLiberty
01-03-2014, 12:51 PM
1st topic of last night's show: "Cannabis Prices in CO Lower Than Black Market" ...?? http://www.freetalklive.com/content/podcast_2014_01_02

Brian4Liberty
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Hemp hunters who waited for hours early Wednesday to be among the first to legally purchase marijuana from state retailers found sticker shock at cash registers.

Are they making rope with that hemp?

Something slightly humorous about price gouging pot sellers. For some reason, Chong comes to mind, giving a lecture on supply and demand. "Like wow man, this is economics, the price went up when the line got long man."

pcosmar
01-03-2014, 01:10 PM

I would think so too.
More growers,, more supply more choices.

And the green buds are nice,, but I miss the flavor of old Colombian and Jamaican.

and $20 oz.

Brian4Liberty
01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

There should be a lot of people growing some now, but there is a limit of six plants (and additional regulations on that too). Still not a free market.

ObiRandKenobi
01-03-2014, 03:02 PM
i want some weedz

dannno
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
There should be a lot of people growing some now, but there is a limit of six plants (and additional regulations on that too). Still not a free market.

Well depending on how tightly the government regulates you could have some flowing in from California soon.

Dr.3D
01-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Not a problem, the black market will take care of the slack.

When and if they finally legalize it, the free market will control itself. (Right now, it's not really legalized when government attempts to regulate it.)

osan
01-03-2014, 03:36 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/02/22149509-high-demand-price-of-legal-marijuana-soars-in-colorado?lite

Drawing conclusions from this article is invalid. This needs TIME. Of course, it also depends on who can grow it. If the outlets are limited to "government" approved entities, then the prices may soar even higher and once again we are likely to be reinforced in the truth that everything it touches, it ruins.

If it is decriminalized here, I guarantee I will be growing acres of it - not so much for the dope value but the fiber, oil. etc. - but I will have no hesitation in selling it to anyone wanting some smoke. I may hate being stoned, but I love the plant. It is aesthetically beautiful and endlessly useful. Imagine having never to cut another tree for paper.

And it is RAMPANTLY self-seeding. :)

ctiger2
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM
When I was in CO a couple years back the pricing was

1/8 $20
1/4 $40
1/2 $75
1 $125

navy-vet
01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
I would think so too.
More growers,, more supply more choices.

And the green buds are nice,, but I miss the flavor of old Colombian and Jamaican.

and $20 oz.
me too...the good old days for sure. The Mexican was the laughing strain back then as I recall.
Jamaican Coli oh, and the hashish! The smell, the taste! Seven bucks a gram?

Snew
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
the price of weed is too d*mn high!

-Jimmy McMillan

Rocco
01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Go to craigslist, you can find ounces from 99-125 on the black market. Government sanctioning of marijuana won't stop the free market from offering a cheap, no tax alternative.

willwash
01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
That's fine. Let them charge 1000 an ounce. People will buy it in the initial hsteria over legalization. I want the tax revenue generated to be as high as possible to get this thing firmly entrenched as a cash cow to the state as quickly as possible. It needs to be able to reach the point where they cant afford to touch it.

PaulConventionWV
01-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Heck, I would still buy it on the black market for those prices. I don't know if those prices are coming down, but one thing is clear, dealing marijuana even in the light doesn't make you safe from government. They're still making it hard to produce. That's probably part of the reason why the prices are so high, along with the initial post-legalization hysteria.

jhceres
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
if the price for cigarettes went up to 30 dollars a pack people would still smoke, that's the great thing about America, we can choose to do want we want to , 400 dollars an ounce for weed , if your ok with paying that much , you should be able to do so without anyone saying you cant. god bless america

HOLLYWOOD
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
38% of the final MJ sales cost is TAXES in Denver

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/456/872/4568723_300.jpg