PDA

View Full Version : Chief Justice John Roberts Laments Judiciary's Lack of Funding

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
http://images.politico.com/global/2012/06/120626_john_roberts_ap_3281.jpg

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts used his year-end report for 2013 to call for more funding for federal courts and lambaste sequestration’s effect on the judiciary.

In the New Year’s Eve missive, Roberts referenced the seasonally appropriate “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens to guide a “look at what has made our federal court system work in the past, what we are doing in the present to preserve it in an era of fiscal constraint, and what the future holds if the judiciary does not receive the funding it needs.”

Roberts wrote that while the judiciary recognizes the need for frugality, its operating costs are only 0.2 percent of the federal budget and it has been making austerity moves for years, even before the sequester went into effect. Because courts cannot manage their caseload, however, Roberts said the effects of sequestration hit them harder.

“The impact of the sequester was more significant on the courts than elsewhere in the government, because virtually all of their core functions are constitutionally and statutorily required,” Roberts wrote. “Unlike most Executive Branch agencies, the courts do not have discretionary programs they can eliminate or postpone in response to budget cuts.”

The chief justice also went through the appropriations request submitted by the judiciary to Congress, saying it was conservative and the minimum needed for the courts to operate properly.

“In the coming weeks, and into the future, I encourage the president and Congress to be attentive to the needs of the Judicial Branch and avert the adverse consequences that would result from funding the judiciary below its minimal needs,” Roberts wrote. “It takes no imagination to see that failing to meet the judiciary’s essential requirements undermines the public’s confidence in all three branches of government. Both ‘A Christmas Carol’ and ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ have happy endings. We are encouraged that the story of funding for the federal judiciary — though perhaps not as gripping a tale — will too.”

The Supreme Court justices and federal judges have not been shy in advocating for court funding under sequestration. The chief judges of 87 district courts wrote to Congress last August pleading for more money and Justices Anthony Kennedy and Stephen Breyer made a rare appearance before a congressional hearing last March to make the case, as well.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/roberts-calls-for-more-money-for-courts-101656.html#ixzz2pFjN5D8l

tod evans
01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Stop prosecuting victimless crimes, cut the budget 75% and it'll be a win/win situation....

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Stop prosecuting victimless crimes, cut the budget 75% and it'll be a win/win situation....

But what about the children??????

tod evans
01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
But what about the children??????

No need to prosecute them either..;)

erowe1
01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Starting to feel a little threatened in your godlikeness, eh, John?

Whoever attentively considers the different departments of power must perceive, that, in a government in which they are separated from each other, the judiciary, from the nature of its functions, will always be the least dangerous to the political rights of the Constitution; because it will be least in a capacity to annoy or injure them. The Executive not only dispenses the honors, but holds the sword of the community. The legislature not only commands the purse, but prescribes the rules by which the duties and rights of every citizen are to be regulated. The judiciary, on the contrary, has no influence over either the sword or the purse; no direction either of the strength or of the wealth of the society; and can take no active resolution whatever. It may truly be said to have neither FORCE nor WILL, but merely judgment; and must ultimately depend upon the aid of the executive arm even for the efficacy of its judgments.
-Federalist 78

Matthew5
01-02-2014, 09:18 AM
I bet I could come up with a few cases to dump in order to lighten the load.

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Well, considering how you defecate on the Constitution every time you freaks meet, if it were up to me your budget would be cut by 75% at least.

jtstellar
01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
has he said anything post-obamacare roll out as the guy that let it pass

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
has he said anything post-obamacare roll out as the guy that let it pass

Yes, give us more money.

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Yes, give us more money.

LMAO You must spread some Reputation around...

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2014, 02:55 PM
If only Republicans were selecting Supreme Court appointees... oh, never mind.

HOLLYWOOD
01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I get sick and tired of every government employee spewing the same bullshit about their part of the budget is only this tiny percentage of the budget.
Roberts wrote that while the judiciary recognizes the need for frugality, its operating costs are only 0.2 percent of the federal budget There is not doubt, that motherfucker Roberts is either being blackmailed or is 100% schizophrenic.

Do these "POPULIST" government executives think that freakishly they have 'Stadium Rockstar Syndrome' in their Washington District of Criminals? Betcha behind closed doors these are the same bastards boasting about what they can get away with next, in today's 'Dumbest Box of Rocks" society in American history.

"Hey Bobby, We stole their 1st, 4th, 5th, Amendments, we have our fat ass pay/retirement plans/perks AND we get to stick the dumbasses with the debt. This is a great racket, eh?" Next comes the corp exec or lobbyist payoff of 6-7 figure salaries to buy .gov.

JUST-US SYSTEM

PS: NE1 notice the new U.S. Custom's signs entering the US, "Welcome to Idiotsville"

tommyrp12
01-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Pericles
01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Not interested in funding any more of what those guys think justice is. I could use a great deal less of it.

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Not interested in funding any more of what those guys think justice is. I could use a great deal less of it.

A big fat amen.

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM

Aw c'mon tommy. Don't be shy. :D

gwax23
01-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Likes others have said end all victimless crime and stop misinterpreting the constitution.

tommyrp12
01-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Aw c'mon tommy. Don't be shy. :D

I removed my comment so I don't get disappeared.