PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Americans Have Little Faith In Government

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 08:40 AM
And I have little faith in Americans either.

------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans enter 2014 with a profoundly negative view of their government, expressing little hope that elected officials can or will solve the nation's biggest problems, a new poll finds.

Half say America's system of democracy needs either "a lot of changes" or a complete overhaul, according to the poll conducted by the AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. Just 1 in 20 says it works well and needs no changes.

Americans, who have a reputation for optimism, have a sharply pessimistic take on their government after years of disappointment in Washington.

The percentage of Americans saying the nation is heading in the right direction hasn't topped 50 in about a decade. In the new poll, 70 percent lack confidence in the government's ability "to make progress on the important problems and issues facing the country in 2014."

The poll comes about two months after partisan gridlock prompted the first government shutdown in 17 years.

People feel somewhat better about their personal lives. Most have at least some confidence that they'll be able to handle their own problems in the coming year. A narrow majority say they'd do a better job running the country than today's leaders in Washington.

Local and state governments inspire more faith than the federal government, according to the poll, with 45 percent at least moderately confident in their state government and 54 percent expressing that much confidence in their local government.

When asked to name up to 10 world or national problems they would "like the government to be working on" in 2014, Americans chiefly cite issues that have dominated — and often flummoxed — the White House and Congress for five years. Health care reform topped the list. It is likely, however, that those naming the issue include both opponents and supporters of President Barack Obama's sweeping health care overhaul.

Jobs and the economy were next, followed by the nation's debt and deficit spending.

Some issues that draw ample media and campaign attention rank lower in the public's priorities. No more than 3 percent of Americans listed gay rights, abortion or domestic spying as prime topics for government action.

Regardless of the issue, however, Americans express remarkably little confidence that the federal government can make real progress.

For instance, 86 percent of those who called health care reform a top priority said they want the government to put "a lot" or "a great deal" of effort into it. But about half of them (49 percent) are "not at all confident" there will be real progress, and 20 percent are only "slightly confident."

This yawning gap between public desires and expectations is one of the poll's most striking findings. Even on an issue completely within the federal government's control, the budget and national debt, 65 percent of those who called it a priority say they have no confidence in the government's ability to fix it. Another 20 percent are only "slightly confident."

When it comes to the issues people cited as most important to them, 80 percent want the government to spend significant effort working on them. Yet 76 percent say they have little or no confidence the government will make real progress.

But asked generally about the role of government in society, the AP-NORC Center poll finds Americans divided on how active they want government to be. Half say "the less government the better." However, almost as many (48 percent) say "there are more things that government should be doing."

continued at http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2014/01/02/poll-americans-have-little-faith-in-government-n1770858

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Voltaire

Ronin Truth
01-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Damn, I'm 40 years ahead of my time again.

erowe1
01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Damn, I'm 40 years ahead of my time again.

When was the last time you were 40 years ahead of your time? And how old are you anyway?

Ronin Truth
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
When was the last time you were 40 years ahead of your time? And how old are you anyway?

Last week. Actually I'm kinda getting used to it.

Older than dirt. I sat behind Jesus in the second grade.

erowe1
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Last week. Actually I'm kinda getting used to it.

Older than dirt.

Being 40 years ahead of your time twice within a one-week period counts as just one time.

I say that yo be 40 years ahead of your time twice, the previous time would have to have been at least 40 years ago.

Ronin Truth
01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Being 40 years ahead of your time twice within a one-week period counts as just one time.

I say that yo be 40 years ahead of your time twice, the previous time would have to have been at least 40 years ago.

Not if it's about different subjects. Your arithmetic is very creative and unfortunately incorrect.

erowe1
01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Not if it's about different subjects. Your arithmetic is very creative and unfortunately incorrect.

What? You mean all this time that you've been saying you were 40 years ahead of your time, you just meant in one single subject?

Well then that doesn't count at all. It has to be in all subjects simultaneously to count.

Ronin Truth
01-02-2014, 11:46 AM
What? You mean all this time that you've been saying you were 40 years ahead of your time, you just meant in one single subject?

Well then that doesn't count at all. It has to be in all subjects simultaneously to count. The first was holographic cosmology and now the thread topic.

Your logic too is very creative and is unfortunately also incorrect.

oyarde
01-02-2014, 11:55 AM
40 years ago , I had more faith in the avg fellow American than I do today .

Ronin Truth
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
40 years ago , I had more faith in the avg fellow American than I do today .

Forty years more of the dumbing down of America does tend to take it's toll. Bubba elected twice, W elected twice, and Obomba elected twice.

Beam me up, Scotty.

DamianTV
01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Voltaire

The Police / Welfare State is a Chain of Obedience.

James Madison
01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Poll: Americans Have Little Faith In Government to Pass Laws They Agree With*. Majority Support Abolishing Congress and Instituting a Monarchy.

*Iran Sanctions/War Top Choice of Republicans, Criminalizing Thought and Outlawing 'Hate' Speech Tops Among Democrats

Christian Liberty
01-02-2014, 07:18 PM
@James Madison- Very true.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Poll: Americans Have Little Faith In Government to Pass Laws They Agree With*. Majority Support Abolishing Congress and Instituting a Monarchy.

*Iran Sanctions/War Top Choice of Republicans, Criminalizing Thought and Outlawing 'Hate' Speech Tops Among Democrats
:) ...I wish. :/ Monarchy is too rational for Boobus. Not enough theater, either. Addle-minded Boobus is frankly addicted to the cult of Constitutional Fascism (disguised as democratic Republicanism, of course)

parocks
01-02-2014, 10:15 PM

Is this actually true? This poll said, basically, "the government is not doing what we want". Is there really a lot of evidence that actual people want iran sanctions, war, criminalizing thought, outlawing hate speech. It seems like the politicians want that. The media wants that. But those aren't things that the people want. The government vs the people.

parocks
01-02-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.apnorc.org/projects/Pages/the-peoples-agenda-americas-priorities-and-outlook.aspx

Origanalist
01-02-2014, 10:36 PM
http://www.apnorc.org/projects/Pages/the-peoples-agenda-americas-priorities-and-outlook.aspx

+ rep.

oyarde
01-03-2014, 12:56 AM
America will become , in areas a bannana republic without the bannanas to export. One of the underlying problems is the fact that half of amerika contributes very little .They still eat and consume . There will be little mnfg , it will be a service economy . That is an economy with no true wealth and a poor people who are poor in spirit . They have not gone with an empty stomach , they have never worked hard. They cannot apreciate what they have or have earned , it is simply provided to them.This will fail. I will not be sad.

Feeding the Abscess
01-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Ask them how they feel about the military and cops. A change of tune would immediately occur.