PDA

View Full Version : Feds May Require Cars to Talk to Each Other to "Avoid Crashes"

liberty2897
01-01-2014, 09:16 PM
To avoid crashes... uh yeah right. Add this to the list of things that I don't want on a vehicle. Not to hard to imagine how these "smart" systems will allow law enforcement and spy agencies to control your vehicle more easily.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/feds-require-cars-talk-avoid-crashes/story?id=21385048

Federal officials will decided [sic] in the "coming weeks" whether to require new cars to include smart technology that would alert drivers of a coming crash, even in vehicles that are two or three cars away.

The vehicle-to-vehicle -- or V2V -- technology has undergone testing in recent years and has already been installed in some cars that are on the road.

A recent study by the Government Accountability Office determined that if the gizmos were widely deployed, "V2V technologies could provide warnings to drivers in as much as 76 percent of potential multi-vehicle collisions."

In 2011, there were 5.3 million car crashes that injured 2.2 million people and killed 32,000, according to the GAO.

"The continued progress of V2V technology development hinges on a decision that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plans to make in late 2013 on how to proceed. ... One option would be to pursue a rule requiring their inclusion in new vehicles," the GAO wrote in a November study.

The year ended without NHTSA's expected decision, and this week the agency would say only that it expected "to announce a decision in the coming weeks."

Putting smart cars on the road comes with complications beyond cost, which is expected to be "modest relative to the price of a new vehicle," according to the GAO.

What could make cost a factor are the communication system safeguards that would be necessary for the widespread use of these cars.

"Widespread technology depends on other cars having the same system so they can talk to each other," said David Wise, director of the GAO's Physical Infrastructure Team, who wrote the GAO study.

But it also requires that the system be secure.

"Privacy is the real challenge," Wise said. He said the V2V will likely rely on GPS-type data that could track a person's movements.

"Who has access and how do you secure the data?" Wise asked rhetorically. He also raised the specter of someone hacking the system and causing havoc on the road.

"The cost is in the communication security system," he said.

There is also the issue of liability if a car that has the V2V system is involved in a crash, the GAO report said.

If NHTSA decides to require new cars to be smart cars, it could still be a generation before they become commonplace on the road, Wise said.

"It takes 20 years for the country's fleet of cars to turn over," he said.

WM_in_MO
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm now waiting the EP take on this.

Occam's Banana
01-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Marco!

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Marco!

Polo
Polo

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScIvGXU_hyTTHNqA3otSaRcMQ5PRQAN UFq6DeuFExpuSUEAvV9

liberty2897
01-01-2014, 09:38 PM
...On the good side, we should all be able to drive around with a bottle of whiskey in-hand without any worries...

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 09:42 PM
...On the good side, we should all be able to drive around with a bottle of whiskey in-hand without any worries...

Ah, the good old days........

I think I'll stick with older models and watch the road like I always have.

Anti Federalist
01-01-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm now waiting the EP take on this.

Throw it in the woods.

He wrote about this back in August.

V2V: The End of Driving . . . By You, Anyhow
by eric • August 2, 2012 • 193 Comments

http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/08/02/v2v-the-end-of-driving-by-you-anyhow/

ClydeCoulter
01-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Crap, that's why I keep running into people when walking, I wasn't talking to them. "Old guy, coming through! Where is everyone?".

green73
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
"Possible acci---BWAM SMASH KIBANG--dent ahead.

Yeah, this isn't about the police state at all...

Paulbot99
01-02-2014, 01:07 AM
It's for your children's safety. ;)

DamianTV
01-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Don't worry folks, cops will still taze and nightstick the freedom back into you if you have a tail light that is out.

Oh yeah, and so much for going off road...