PDA

View Full Version : US Customs Destroys Virtuoso's Flutes

liberty2897
01-01-2014, 07:38 PM
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/01/01/235248/us-customs-destroys-virtuosos-flutes-because-they-were-agricultural-items

McGruber writes
"Flute virtuoso Boujemaa Razgui performed on a variety of flutes, each made by himself over years for specific types of ancient and modern performance. Razgui has performed with many U.S. ensembles and is a regular guest with the diverse and enterprising Boston Camerata. Last week, Razgui flew from Morocco to Boston, with stops in Madrid and New York. In New York, he says, a US Customs official opened his luggage and found the 13 flutelike instruments — 11 nays and two kawalas. Razgui says he had made all of the instruments using hard-to-find reeds. 'They said this is an agriculture item,' said Razgui, who was not present when his bag was opened. 'I fly with them in and out all the time and this is the first time there has been a problem. This is my life.' When his baggage arrived in Boston, the instruments were gone. He was instead given a number to call. 'They told me they were destroyed,' he says. 'Nobody talked to me. They said I have to write a letter to the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. This is horrible. I don't know what to do. I've never written letters to people.'"

heavenlyboy34
01-01-2014, 07:53 PM
That sucks. :mad: Reed flutes are a bitch to make accurately-even moreso than bamboo.

asurfaholic
01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, you see.. Freedom isn't free. The flutes weren't destroyed, they were stolen.

Sold if i had a guess.

angelatc
01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Yeah, and the media is carrying the water. While the Customs rules do say that bit about bamboo split vertically being allowrd through there's more:

Unsplit dried bamboo canes/stakes/poles also are allowed entry into the United States after inspection: however, if the bamboo canes/stakes/poles are intended for garden or nursery use, the shipment must be fumigated (T404-d treatment extended to 24 hours) upon arrival at the U.S. port of entry.

Bamboo furniture, bamboo cloth, and other manufactured products made of bamboo do not require fumigation and will be released upon inspection.

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 08:26 PM
When his baggage arrived in Boston, the instruments were gone. He was instead given a number to call. 'They told me they were destroyed,' he says. 'Nobody talked to me. They said I have to write a letter to the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. This is horrible. I don't know what to do. I've never written letters to people.'"

Just make sure the letters are strongly worded, I'm sure you will get satisfaction.

Occam's Banana
01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Just make sure the letters are strongly worded, I'm sure you will get satisfaction.

He should use the word "very" a lot, too.
Also "outraged" - "outraged" is always good.

And the effect of both will be significantly amplified if he says he is "very outraged" ...
(WARNING: Use "very outraged" ONLY in extreme circumstances - it is very potent!!)

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Maybe he's actually a terrorist pretending to be a musician and they were on to him. /sarc

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Maybe he's actually a terrorist pretending to be a musician and they were on to him. /sarc

Flutebombs. Musical terrorism.

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 08:53 PM

And the effect of both will be significantly amplified if he says he is "very outraged" ...
(WARNING: Use "very outraged" ONLY in extreme circumstances - it is very potent!!)

Just don't use the words "extremely and or outraged". That will light up the NSA like a Christmas tree.

ClydeCoulter
01-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Destroyed by people who may have never created anything of their own on their own, other than rules. :mad:

ClydeCoulter
01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Just don't use the words "extremely outraged". That will light up the NSA like a Christmas tree.

Careful, that could be construed as forum terrorism, you should never use those 2 words together without some other non-whitespace character between them, not even in a size 1 font...very dangerous.

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Whew! Fixed it. Hope they weren't looking........:toady:

ClydeCoulter
01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Fixed it, now you're the one on the hot seat.

I am afraid that the evidence must be preserved, just in case any damage has already occurred by your irresponsible behavior :D :D

heavenlyboy34
01-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Hadn't thought of that. Way to inspire and promote terrorism. Reported.

ClydeCoulter
01-01-2014, 09:05 PM

@Origanalist is really in hot water tonite...:D

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Sorry, my fault.

Neg rep for myself.

EDIT: seems I can't neg rep myself. :toady:

Occam's Banana
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlAO7akGHec

heavenlyboy34
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Sorry, my fault.

Neg rep for myself.

EDIT: seems I can't neg rep myself. :toady:
Just turn in Origanalist when they get you into the interrogation room. Big Sister will likely have mercy on you. :toady: :cool:

heavenlyboy34
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM

I am want one! :D :cool: Send me one as a belated b-day gift, OB. :) edit-now that I think of it, I have several wind instruments I could do that with...I'll experiment... :cool:

Occam's Banana
01-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Just turn in Origanalist when they get you into the interrogation room. Big Sister will likely have mercy on you. :toady: :cool:

When you do, be sure to mention that Origanalist often wears rodents on his head.
So O'Brien and the Room 101 crew will need to use something else ...

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
@Origanalist is really in hot water tonite...:D

It's ok, I'm broadcasting from my underground bunker.

Anti Federalist
01-01-2014, 09:39 PM
That sucks. :mad: Reed flutes are a bitch to make accurately-even moreso than bamboo.

That's what he gets for not being in compliance and putting all our freedom at risk.

AmeriKa!

Anti Federalist
01-01-2014, 09:41 PM

DoublePlusOutraged, Comrade.

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Ok; thanks for the suggestion! :D

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Crap, guess I'll have to hit the road......

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/sites/default/files/The%20Fugitive%20Kind_image_02.jpg

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Crap, guess I'll have to hit the road......

n/p :) I woulda suggested myself, but I've already been reported dozens of times. I reckon I'm on every List that They have for us mere Citizens. :o :toady:

GunnyFreedom
01-02-2014, 02:38 PM
DoublePlusOutraged, Comrade.

DoublePlus Un-placid Comrade. "Outraged" has negative connotations and has been redacted from the NewSpeak vocabulary. Have you not purchased your NewSpeak Dictionary 11th Edition yet? Tsk Tsk.

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Valuable things should not be left with monkeys for safe keeping.

Hand carry or special ship and insure...

Pericles
01-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Even better, an angry letter to the Times.

satchelmcqueen
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
fucking insane!!! they not only take his property, that he made, but they destroy it now and its ok by them? how and where was it destroyed? im so pissed over this. so they are allowed to just destroy things????

LibForestPaul
01-02-2014, 11:13 PM
I feel bad. I LOL when I read his story. "No flute for you"

fr33
01-03-2014, 05:27 AM
A pack of dumb animals in the TSA who never create anything destroy the work of a productive person. This is how government works.

Tinnuhana
01-03-2014, 06:39 AM
It's ok, I'm broadcasting from my underground bunker. Worms! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

phill4paul
01-03-2014, 06:44 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44528397.jpg

Lucille
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
U.S. Customs Destroy Rare Instruments, Livelihood, Won't Apologize
http://reason.com/blog/2014/01/06/us-customs-destroy-rare-instruments-live

Holiday travel can be a hassle. It can be an even bigger hassle when U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials destroy rare instruments on which your livelihood depends.

That's what happened to Boujemaa Razgui, a renowned musician who was returning from Morocco to his New York City residence in time for Christmas. Razgui was transporting 11 rare handcrafted flutes, called neys, some of which he manufactured in the US. Nevertheless, the CBP “identified the instruments... as agricultural products that risked introducing 'exotic plant pathogens' in to the United States” and destroyed them, reports Foreign Policy.

Razgui was shocked to find his carrying case emptied.“I fly with them in and out all the time and this is the first time there has been a problem,” he told the Boston Globe. “They told me they were destroyed,” but “nobody talked to me. They said I have to write a letter to the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. This is horrible. I don’t know what to do,” Razgui explained, “This is my life.”

That's no exaggeration. Razgui, who has performed with various groups throughout the US for over a decade, is one of only 15 people in the country with this specific kind of flute. Razgui has not yet determined how he will be able to fulfill his commitments for upcoming performances.

When asked by Foreign Policy, the law enforcement agency refuses to apologize to for the mishap. Officials insist that the action was necessary, because of the potential threat that “fresh bamboo canes” pose...

What good would an apology do anyway?

Dr.3D
01-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Obviously those customs people have the IQ of a door knob.

GunnyFreedom
01-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Obviously those customs people have the IQ of a door knob.

I think that's an insult to doorknobs.

Dr.3D
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I think that's an insult to doorknobs.
Guess you're right, unlike those customs idiots, door knobs have always known they are not very sharp.

Origanalist
01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.hometone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/help_lock_nwWk7_1822.jpg