PDA

View Full Version : Was the Duck Dynasty controversy planned, manufactured, and orchestrated?

Matt Collins
01-01-2014, 04:40 PM
What if the entire recent Duck Dynasty controversy was scripted, planned, orchestrated, and staged as a publicity stunt? A&E is laughing all the way to the bank since the value of their show just went through the roof in the matter of one week. There was no DD merchandise to be found for Christmas either; everyone wins.

As someone who frequently works with PR and marketing, the timing of this has to make me wonder if this wasn't a strategic gimmick. After all, look at what similar controversy did for Chik-Fil-A a couple of years back, marketers DID take notice of that effect and how well Chik-Fil-A profited from the controversy.

One of my best friends described it perfectly:

It's textbook viral marketing.

1) Set Phil up with an interview *with freaking GQ magazine*, and leave him plenty of rope to hang himself/speak freely they way they knew he would.

2) "fire" him...temporarily...suspiciously close to the holidays...so the screaming starts up all over social media and people RUSH out to buy the DD merch...OWNED by A&E....

3) Restore good will by "bringing him back" after every angry person has DUMPED money in their laps.

4) Profit.

Dr.3D
01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I went down to the pet store to buy some food for my dogs and found a Duck Dynasty dog bed on sale for $18. Now my dogs can sleep on that guys face. LOL

I found a picture of it....

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/mp/00/71/57/64/76/0071576476214_P321166_500X500.jpg

otherone
01-01-2014, 04:57 PM
What if the entire recent Duck Dynasty controversy was scripted, planned, orchestrated, and staged as a publicity stunt?

Next you'll tell us that professional wrestling is staged.

Ender
01-01-2014, 05:02 PM

NO! Tell me it's not true!!!!

:eek:

Anti Federalist
01-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't fucking surprise me for a second.

Everything is fake and contrived these days.

The Age of Shoddy.

Thus the appeal, at least to me, of Ron Paul, and why I go, quite literally, batshit crazy, when considering the greasy compromises, lies and dissimulation of "politics" and applying that to someone of Ron's stature.

No difference AFAIK.

What if the entire recent Duck Dynasty controversy was scripted, planned, orchestrated, and staged as a publicity stunt? A&E is laughing all the way to the bank since the value of their show just went through the roof in the matter of one week. There was no DD merchandise to be found for Christmas either; everyone wins.

As someone who frequently works with PR and marketing, the timing of this has to make me wonder if this wasn't a strategic gimmick. After all, look at what similar controversy did for Chik-Fil-A a couple of years back, marketers DID take notice of that effect and how well Chik-Fil-A profited from the controversy.

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 08:32 PM
When something happens, in general, I take the approach of being skeptical and wondering if there's a way to find out if it's real (especially when it involves the media and entertainment industry). Not only do I not take the approach of assuming something's true until/unless something comes along and proves it's fake, I would also like to know how I can get everyone to quit this awful habit.

HOLLYWOOD
01-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I only read just the title. Now... let make a deal: WAL★MART, K-MART, & TARGET...

I posted in the original DD thread, A&E's detail selling Duck Crap at the above stores IS A $400 MILLION windfall deal for the phony reality TV show manufacturer by A&E/Discovery Corp. Controversy pumps the ratings to increase revenue from broadcast advertisers as well.

Some people just don't get what Mind control, propaganda, and marketing con games of TV, has become to the unsuspecting American zombie viewer/consumers.

If the Bayou Buffoons were smart(including agents/reps, they would ask for a huge percentage of the Ad revenue, as well as from the merchandise sales.

liberty2897
01-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Never seen the show myself (I don't watch network TV), but this guy has some interesting comments and a video with some photos of the main characters before the beards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BdgtVBLoo

juleswin
01-01-2014, 08:59 PM

It could be, just look at how Cheerios use the so called flame from internet trolls to boost their brand. They put up a video with an mixed race kid and they got an overwhelming positive support on youtube(1000+ thumbs up with less than 100 thumbs down before they closed the comment section) but just because they got a few sprinkles of racist comments and thumbs down, they closed the comment section, rating and talked to every single liberal media to write about the racist internet trolls. And jackpot, lots of positive press and sympathy buys.

You got to be very creative in an environment where everyone is trying to grab your attention

TaftFan
01-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't think Robertson would have any part of that.

Of course A&E, the magazine, and GLAAD could have had the firestorm arranged.

CaptUSA
01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm sure A&E knew how to capitalize on this - they may have even put him in the situation to trigger it.

But this is a good thing. This is one way that capitalism can fix things. A&E made a lot of money. An important issue was raised and dealt with. A neglected portion of the population got a voice. And nobody got hurt.

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think Robertson would have any part of that.
Have you seen any forests for the trees lately?

TaftFan
01-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Have you seen any forests for the trees lately?

I am sure this a metaphor for something but I am not familiar with the phrase.

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Oh, well here u go: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/see_the_forest_for_the_trees

MelissaWV
01-01-2014, 09:47 PM
You know, I might've dismissed this, had it not been for the progression. There was GLAAD, then there was Jesse Jackson, and now apparently there's a comment about him suggesting someone marry a teen girl with a Bible in her hand, or something similar. It's kind of convenient/weird that they keep going from button to button to see what sticks.

TaftFan
01-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Oh, well here u go: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/see_the_forest_for_the_trees

Yeah, I see the big picture. Robertson would have no reason to go along with this. Not only does he not spend the money he already he has, manufacturing this would basically make he and his religious beliefs a fraud.

juleswin
01-01-2014, 09:51 PM

He is trying to tell you that you are focusing too much on the finer details instead of looking at the big picture.

But then again, they family could be out of the loop with this whole thing. The less people in the know, the more genuine the controversy is. My problem is why risk it on a very popular show. Duck Dynasty premiered with 9 million viewers and I cannot imagine getting any improvement on that number for a cable show. If this was actually staged then the person behind it is either a genius or a moron cos it could have backfired on them.

jmdrake
01-01-2014, 10:07 PM
You know, I might've dismissed this, had it not been for the progression. There was GLAAD, then there was Jesse Jackson, and now apparently there's a comment about him suggesting someone marry a teen girl with a Bible in her hand, or something similar. It's kind of convenient/weird that they keep going from button to button to see what sticks.

So Jesse Jackson has decided to shift focus from "helping" blacks to "helping" gays?

http://angrybrownbutch.com/images/martinmalcolm.jpg

MelissaWV
01-01-2014, 10:09 PM
So Jesse Jackson has decided to shift focus from "helping" blacks to "helping" gays?

http://angrybrownbutch.com/images/martinmalcolm.jpg

No no, he took offense to the part where the Duck Dynasty guy said he'd never personally seen a black person mistreated in the Jim Crow South (paraphrasing). So you have at least three "offensive" comments directed at totally different segments of society.

jmdrake
01-01-2014, 10:14 PM
No no, he took offense to the part where the Duck Dynasty guy said he'd never personally seen a black person mistreated in the Jim Crow South (paraphrasing). So you have at least three "offensive" comments directed at totally different segments of society.

Ah well. I thought he was going to expand the "rainbow coalition". :) Can't blame me for hoping he'd move on to leeching off some other group. (Though I really wouldn't wish him on the LGBT community.)

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I see the big picture. Robertson would have no reason to go along with this. Not only does he not spend the money he already he has, manufacturing this would basically make he and his religious beliefs a fraud.
I suppose that would be one possibility. Let's say that this is the case; why is it apparently so inconceivable to you?

EDIT:

And what if everything else we're told about him is also fraud upon fraud (to some degree)?

Have you ever watched (or read) Orwell's 1984 or the movie Wag The Dog?

Neil Desmond
01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
He is trying to tell you that you are focusing too much on the finer details instead of looking at the big picture.

But then again, they family could be out of the loop with this whole thing. The less people in the know, the more genuine the controversy is. My problem is why risk it on a very popular show. Duck Dynasty premiered with 9 million viewers and I cannot imagine getting any improvement on that number for a cable show. If this was actually staged then the person behind it is either a genius or a moron cos it could have backfired on them.
Yeah, basically something like this.

UtahApocalypse
01-01-2014, 11:49 PM

The fact that Robertson is going back on A&E tells me that he was in on the set up, or does not follow his beliefs.

CPUd
01-02-2014, 02:59 AM

It wasn't done to get more viewers for the show. They have the audience they need, and a lot of them shop at walmart. The first batch of merch was in place for the big shopping days- but what we've been seeing since then is largely opportunistic.

01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
By Phil? I seriously doubt it. He's been saying the same things for years. By A&E, maybe. Does A&E get a cut of the chinese walmart junk?

pcosmar
01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Was the Duck Dynasty controversy planned, manufactured, and orchestrated?

Possibly.

But the public reaction was genuine.

Perhaps a Trial Balloon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_balloon

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Was the Duck Dynasty controversy planned, manufactured, and orchestrated?

The interview itself was. They wanted to make him, and others who could be lumped in with him look bad.

The timing of this in the mainstream media could have been adjusted for maximum distraction effect. What was happening at the time? Final budget vote. NDAA snuck through with no debate. Court appointments. Obamacare catastrophe. Perfect time to throw out a red herring.

Can the show use it for marketing? Sure. Probably more about making lemonade from lemons though.

devil21
01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
I thought it was pretty obviously a manufactured story once the "idea" of buying up all the Duck stuff (that's been collecting dust on store shelves right before the holiday) to show "support" was injected into the narrative and that was all over the news while NDAA was being reauthorized.

thoughtomator
01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Most "news" is staged.

Aratus
01-02-2014, 04:31 PM
why GQ ? if they wanted Uncle Phil to appeal to an upscale

audience, GARDEN AND GUN magazine made way more sense

Pericles
01-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I doubt that those involved in this would be smart enough to pull it off.

juleswin
01-02-2014, 04:41 PM

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled

-- Mark Twain

This is exactly how they get away with it. Most people will believe that nobody is that devious or in your case smart to pull it off.

devil21
01-02-2014, 04:48 PM
why GQ ? if they wanted Uncle Phil to appeal to an upscale

audience, GARDEN AND GUN magazine made way more sense

Good point. GQ seems like Gay and Metrosexual Quarterly now. Target audience to start uproar achieved!

You do realize the DD family was rich long before the show started, right? They were yuppy types and then became rednecks for the show (watch the vid posted in this thread to see some before/after pictures). Their handlers at A&E (owned by Disney) are also very good at using manufactured controversy to sell stuff. It's a decently funny show at times and I watch it occasionally and they even slip in old photos of the guys without beards, coifed blond hair, slim, etc, yet few seem to notice this logical disconnect.

LibertyEagle
01-02-2014, 05:23 PM

The show is called Duck Dynasty for a reason. These guys were smart enough to have an idea, setup a business and become millionaires the old-fashioned way. I'd say they weren't exactly stupid.

enhanced_deficit
01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Is there an option to vote for "all of the above".

2young2vote
01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Maybe, Maybe not. The place I worked at had an employee accident that made the news and people in the comments section were claiming it was a marketing stunt when it obviously wasn't, they were just ignorant of reality. That could be the case here, or it may actually be a real marketing stunt.

satchelmcqueen
01-02-2014, 10:19 PM
only the 1970s/80s NWA was real. the wwf was the fake one. durrr

and ric flair is real to. hogan sucks!

UWDude
01-03-2014, 02:17 AM
It all felt staged to me.

Especially the pulling from shelves, so people will demand it be put back.
Classic viral gig.

sylcfh
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
GQ is owned by a subsidiary of A&E's direct competitor, Discovery Communications.

TruckinMike
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
yep...

The Great Coca-Cola Conspiracy
(http://www.obscure.org/~bob/stuff/coke.html)
The New Coke campaign of the early 80's was considered one of the biggest marketing failures ever. Well, it's not. It is in fact one of the most brilliant and immoral marketing strategies in history. This is all true, just look on any can of Coke.

In the 1980's when Bill Cosby declared that Coke would change its formula, it was a huge scam to save Coke money. You see, the Coca-Cola corporation never dreamed that people would like New Coke. What they wanted was to release a substitute Coke product with a noticeably different taste. They would keep this on the market until all of the old Coke was sold and people couldn't get it anymore.

Eventually, Coke co. claimed (quite rightly) that people missed old Coke and demanded its return. As a consequence, Coke vowed to rerelease the original Coke as Coke Classic. They never did. What they did do was bring back the original recipe, but with (significantly cheaper) corn syrup instead of sugar.

Everyone would have noticed if they had just made the switch directly. Coke would have been forced to return to the original, more expensive, product. But since Classic Coke tasted passably similar to old Coke, people just assumed it was the same, since no one had had any in so long.

So now you can only get original Coke in the US on Passover (look for Kosher for Passover Coke from about mid March, it will either say KP, or just look for Hebrew letters). Since corn is not kosher for Passover, they release the true original formula with sugar.

In Europe, Coke is still made with real sugar.