PDA

View Full Version : Deputy gets his blood drawn and his patrol car impounded. WTF ? Search it LTR ?

mrsat_98
01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
http://www.bellevuereporter.com/news/238370151.html

An on-duty King County Sheriff's deputy was arrested on New Year's Eve for suspicion of being high on drugs after he was reported slumped over the wheel of his patrol car in a Newcastle parking lot.

The sheriff's office reports the 46-year-old deputy and 15-year veteran of the department was reported "passed out at the wheel" of his patrol car by a passerby, who also stated they were unable to wake him.

Another sheriff's deputy, captain and sergeant responded to the Starbuck's parking lot at Newcastle Way and Coal Creek Parkway, where they were able to rouse the passed-out deputy and determine he was impaired by something other than alcohol, a news release states.

Bellevue Police Lt. Marcia Harnden, who has worked eight out of the past 10 New Year's Eve patrols and is a trained drug recognition expert, was called to the scene to perform the examination of the sheriff's deputy.

After Harnden determined the deputy was under the influence of some type of drug, he was arrested for physical control of a motor vehicle and taken to the Bellevue Police Department for a blood draw, which was granted under a search warrant.

The Bellevue Police Department was hosting a DUI holiday emphasis patrol in the city with the Washington State Patrol making troopers and its mobile intake unit available at City Hall for processing suspected drunk and drug-impaired drivers.

Following the blood draw, the deputy was released and will remain on administrative leave pending the conclusion of an administrative investigation.

His impounded patrol vehicle will be searched for further evidence once a search warrant is obtained later this week, the release states. The Bellevue Police Department is heading the criminal investigation.

If they vehicle is left unattended for that long anything they find is inadmissible. WTF.

phill4paul
01-01-2014, 03:02 PM
His impounded patrol vehicle will be searched for further evidence once a search warrant is obtained later this week, the release states. The Bellevue Police Department is heading the criminal investigation.

Amazing that at a DUI checkpoint they can get one on the spot.

mrsat_98
01-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Thank State, at least the poor deputy will get some time off, with pay.

phill4paul
01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Made some enemies? "Hey, I work over there and thought I'd bring you some hot coffee. Bless you guys. Ya gotta hard job."

FindLiberty
01-01-2014, 03:28 PM
OK, so the experts at the scene immediately ruled out stroke, transient ischemic attack and diabetes, etc.
Lucky he was in uniform, so they did not just follow up with SOP and beat him into cooperation/compliance.
Strange "date rape drug" story here?

mrsat_98
01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
OK, so the experts at the scene immediately ruled out stroke, transient ischemic attack and diabetes, etc.
Lucky he was in uniform, so they did not just follow up with SOP and beat him into cooperation/compliance.
Strange "date rape drug" story here?

neg rep for giving them idea's... ok not really neg rep.

angelatc
01-01-2014, 04:00 PM

The car does not even belong to him. If you borrow my car, I can give the police permission to search it even if you protest. It's bizarre that the cops can't search city property without a warrant? I kind of get it if there's an elected official involved, but this is a cruiser.

Occam's Banana
01-01-2014, 04:20 PM
It's bizarre that the cops can't search city property without a warrant?

It's just that they are dedicated peace officers whose highest priority is ensuring that no one's civil rights are violated.

I'm sure that's all there is to it ...

Origanalist
01-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Yeah, amazing........