PDA

View Full Version : NSA has complete control of your iPhone, can activate your microphone and camera covertly.

Thor
12-31-2013, 11:48 AM
We need an: "NSA, Privacy, Snowden" sub forum.

Leaked documents now show what we all suspected: the NSA can turn your iPhone’s microphone and camera on and off without you knowing.

According to Der Spiegel’s website (http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-941262.html):

“The NSA’s ANT division develops implants for mobile phones and SIM cards. One of these is a spyware implant called “DROPOUTJEEP” — designed for the first generation of iPhones — which was still in development in 2008, shortly after the iPhone’s launch. This spyware was to make it possible to remotely download or upload files to a mobile phone. It would also, according to the catalog, allow the NSA to divert text messages, browse the user’s address book, intercept voicemails, activate the phone’s microphone and camera at will, determine the current cell site and the user’s current location, “etc.” ANT’s technicians also develop modified mobile phones, for use in special cases that look like normal, standard devices, but transmit various pieces of information to the NSA — that can be swapped undetected with a target’s own mobile phone or passed to informants and agents. In 2008, ANT had models from Eastcom and Samsung on offer, and it has likely developed additional models since.”

See leaked document below:

http://benswann.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/S3222_DROPOUTJEEP.jpg

More at link....

http://benswann.com/nsa-has-complete-control-of-your-iphone-can-activate-your-microphone-and-camera-without-you-knowing/

youngbuck
12-31-2013, 03:22 PM
It's been known for a long time that the FBI could activate your mic and camera covertly, even if your phone was off as long as a working battery was still installed. It only makes sense that the NSA has had this capability for at least as long (likely much longer).

muh_roads
12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
We need an: "NSA, Privacy, Snowden" sub forum.

I've been calling for this for a while now. It would be awesome to get people on board with using encryption in their daily lives.

Having nothing to hide makes it more fun. Waste the NSA's time as you send a PGP encrypted message to friends and family about the turkey you're preparing.

jjdoyle
12-31-2013, 03:38 PM
It's been known for a long time that the FBI could activate your mic and camera covertly, even if your phone was off as long as a working battery was still installed. It only makes sense that the NSA has had this capability for at least as long (likely much longer).

Yeah, it has been known for a while. I had a friend that told me when the Egypt uprising stuff was happening, some of the groups that were behind it had a rule when they would meet: Batteries out of phones, or phones turned off and in buried/wrapped in things like towels if batteries couldn't be removed.

CPUd
12-31-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't care too much for iOS apps, but this is a good opportunity to push one that triggers an alert if the camera or mics are on.

Thor
12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
While we all kinda knew this was possible and probable, I think letting all your iPhone toting friends know that there is now proof they have a live link to the NSA in their hands might make more people "awares"....

I am pretty darn sure it is just as equally true for Android. Just need the story/proof to pass around.

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Anyone ever heard of the guys that got arrested for Butt Dialing 911, then proceeding to commit a bunch of actual crimes?

The future is going to be much more like this, for everyone, at all times, no Butt Dialing needed. They will ALWAYS be listening.

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2013-08/how-protect-yourself-your-phone

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
I don't care too much for iOS apps, but this is a good opportunity to push one that triggers an alert if the camera or mics are on.

This.

Thor
12-31-2013, 07:30 PM

This.

I assume, that if the camera / mic are remotely activated, and unbeknownst to the user and any LED or other indicators being triggered, that whatever app is monitoring those processes or the actual hardware, will probably get a false positive as well and not be any wiser. And if not, then version 2 or 3 of their bug will defeat the notification app.... Kind of like the constant jail breaking workarounds...

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 07:36 PM
I assume, that if the camera / mic are remotely activated, and unbeknownst to the user and any LED or other indicators being triggered, that whatever app is monitoring those processes or the actual hardware, will probably get a false positive as well and not be any wiser. And if not, then version 2 or 3 of their bug will defeat the notification app.... Kind of like the constant jail breaking workarounds...

Only if the NSA intercepts your phone and adds special hardware where there is little or no room for it. A simple voltage test across a device is awfully reliable.

Thor
12-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Only if the NSA intercepts your phone and adds special hardware where there is little or no room for it. A simple voltage test across a device is awfully reliable.

Can a native software app run a voltage test, or is that external equipment dependent? Either way, would the app store approve it? And if the NSA intercepts at the fab process level for the chip and modifies it?

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Can a native software app run a voltage test, or is that external equipment dependent? Either way, would the app store approve it? And if the NSA intercepts at the fab process level for the chip and modifies it?

I don't actually have schematics for the iPhone, but I am familiar enough with Apple's design philosophy to know that that's the way they "ordinarily" do it. For instance on laptops, the 'camera on indicator light' is keyed to any power running through the device. Unlike other manufacturers, you cannot operate a Mac webcam without the indicator light coming on. If the indicator light is off, there is no power to the device. While it may be different for the iPhone than it is for the laptops, usually a design philosophy is consistent across the board. What is more likely would be an NSA hack to disable the monitoring program.

CaptUSA
12-31-2013, 08:08 PM
I really think we need a new amendment to the Constitution regarding the limitations of government access and use of this information. The information available is going to expand exponentially in the next few years. I don't often call for amending the Constitution, but it seems like this might be the type of occasion the Founders foresaw when they created the amendment process.

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 08:22 PM
I really think we need a new amendment to the Constitution regarding the limitations of government access and use of this information. The information available is going to expand exponentially in the next few years. I don't often call for amending the Constitution, but it seems like this might be the type of occasion the Founders foresaw when they created the amendment process.

I really think we need new people in office that respect the current restrictions of the Constitution. The only Amendment I think might want is one to enforce those who make efforts to subvert the Constitution to be charged with the crime of High Treason.

CaptUSA
12-31-2013, 08:28 PM
I really think we need new people in office that respect the current restrictions of the Constitution. The only Amendment I think might want is one to enforce those who make efforts to subvert the Constitution to be charged with the crime of High Treason.Yeah, I don't think that's gonna cover it. Every nation in the world does this to the greatest extent that they are able. We are dealing with something new. The old bill of rights were good, but I'm thinking we need a new one now. Information never existed in the manner it does now. And it's going to grow more and more. If it is not curtailed here, it will not be curtailed anywhere.

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I really think we need new people in office that respect the current restrictions of the Constitution. The only Amendment I think might want is one to enforce those who make efforts to subvert the Constitution to be charged with the crime of High Treason.

Hey, have you bugged my phone or what? I've been saying this for the last year or so but almost exclusively in private. :p

+Rep

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Hey, have you bugged my phone or what? I've been saying this for the last year or so but almost exclusively in private. :p

+Rep

Bugging is one possibility. The other is that we both support the foundations of Liberty and want honest representation as a restricted form of limited govt. Thus, drawing the same or similar conclusions is inevitable.

pcosmar
12-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Apple denies any knowledge of NSA hacking its iPhones
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_24825323/apple-denies-any-knowledge-nsa-hacking-its-iphones

Sure they do.

And they were all (Apple, Micro$oft, ISPs, etc) full of denials when the NSA story first broke,, and later admitted that they were cooperating.

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Bugging is one possibility. The other is that we both support the foundations of Liberty and want honest representation as a restricted form of limited govt. Thus, drawing the same or similar conclusions is inevitable.

Of course, I was just looking for a funny and topical way of saying GMTA :p

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Of course, I was just looking for a funny and topical way of saying GMTA :p

Hmm, it seems I've temporarily misplaced my sense of humor. Can I have yours?

GunnyFreedom
12-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Hmm, it seems I've temporarily misplaced my sense of humor. Can I have yours?

It's easy to lose your sense of humor in this horrible world today.

Thor
01-01-2014, 01:16 AM
It's easy to lose your sense of humor in this horrible world today.

It is easy to lose more than a sense of humor.....

oyarde
01-01-2014, 01:57 AM
I do not have an I phone .

Thor
01-01-2014, 02:08 AM
I do not have an I phone .

An O phone?
U Phone?
or a sometimes Y phone?

tangent4ronpaul
01-01-2014, 03:36 AM
100% of Top Paid Android Apps Have Been Hacked
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/36111/100-of-top-paid-android-apps-have-been-hacked/

Word that mobile malware is rather pervasive has been making the rounds for months, but a new report has found that a shocking 100% of the Top 100 paid Android apps and 56% of the Top 100 paid Apple iOS apps have been hacked. Averaged together, users have a 78% chance of running into an app that has been compromised at some point.

When Malware Goes Mobile:
Causes, Outcomes and Cures
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/Gated%20Assets/white%20papers/Sophos_Malware_Goes_Mobile.pdf

EIGHTY OF THE TOP 100 PAID ANDROID AND IOS APPS 'HACKED'
http://www.cbronline.com/news/tech/software/appdev/over-three-fourth-of-top-100-paid-android-and-ios-apps-hacked-121213-4145101

This next one links to a bunch of articles about software that can remotely access smartphone carea's and mics
The SINGLE Most Important Step to Protect Yourself from Government Spying
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/06/the-single-most-important-step-to-protect-yourself-from-government-spying.html

Clearly, the only way to be safe is to treat all smartphones like laptops and tape over the camera and clip the lead to the microphone! Oh, wait... :D

-t

Thor
01-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Clearly, the only way to be safe is to treat all smartphones like laptops and tape over the camera and clip the lead to the microphone! Oh, wait... :D

-t

Google Glass anyone?

Next stop, implanted chips.

Welcome. Sheeple. Climb aboard.

CPUd
01-01-2014, 04:18 AM
People will probably shy away from getting the implants themselves, but they will want them for their grandkids or maybe even their own kids.

tangent4ronpaul
01-01-2014, 04:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA

-t

GunnyFreedom
01-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Apple Calls the NSA "malicious hackers" and vows to shut whatever security hole they found and exploited:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-anger-on-the-nsa-iphone-hacking-2013-12