PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a village, pop 600+

Tod
12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
There is a nearby village, population 600+, that has a speed cam fight underway. The mayor and council are fighting to keep the cam and many residents are fighting them to get it removed. As I understand it, a lawsuit has been filed over the cams. The residents are even considering a recall election to remove the offending politicians. (I posted the relevant part of the Ohio Revised Code on their group facebook wall (https://www.facebook.com/LucasOhiospeedcam).

Someone posted this:

I am interested in hearing who will fill these positions, if recalled? As I know of, 4 people ran for 4 open council spots? Doesn't sound as if many people want to get involved?

The reply I am formulating includes the question, "Does a village this small even really need a government?"

I am not sure what all functions the government currently handles. Maybe road maintenance? I don't know about water/sewage, I only see one municipal building on the satellite pic. There is a school district that includes area beyond the village limits, but the school buildings are within the limits. Rural schools in this area typically have their own sewage treatment (septic) systems, but I don't know about this one.

Here is the village on google map:

http://goo.gl/maps/MlpSw

They don't have a web site.

Any suggestions on planting the seeds for the move towards a more voluntary association among these people?

12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
They can unincorporate. It happens sometimes here in the little towns. The sheriff will handle policing and the county government will handle road maintenance.

After that you pretty much never see a cop or government worker unless you call them.

parocks
12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
A village of 600 does not need a cop.

Tod
12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
I posted this:

Melanie, considering that the village population is barely over 600 (and falling), is there even really a need to fill the positions? Maybe everyone would be better off if the village unincorporated.
Policing would be done by the sheriff's department and road maintenance would be done by the county and maybe township (not sure how that breaks down).

One would want to look at all of the functions of the current government and determine:
a) does the function need to be done at all.
b) if it does need to be done, would another existing government pick up the slack and if not, find a way to privatize the function.

Something to consider, anyway. I don't know about you, but I would rather have fewer bureaucrats in my life , and this would be one way to reduce them in the lives of the residents of Lucas. Only a crazy person would take pride in having a bureaucrat in their life that they could get rid of, imo.

Tod
12-30-2013, 05:29 PM
A village of 600 does not need a cop.

That is for sure! I'm not sure if they have one or not. Another tiny village, pop 137, not too far away has one, incredibly.

DamianTV
12-30-2013, 05:38 PM
One way or another, the voice of each person has a better chance of being heard. Unlike our current massive Govt where the only part of the Govt that actually listens to the cries of the people is the NSA.

I sure as hell hope that EVERY TOWN makes every possible effort to fully eliminate ALL Cameras Period, not just the Speed / Red Light Cameras.

Ronin Truth
12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
That is for sure! I'm not sure if they have one or not. Another tiny village, pop 137, not too far away has one, incredibly.

Probably the mayor's idiot brother in law. :D

Occam's Banana
12-31-2013, 04:46 AM
Need? Need has nothing to do with it. It's all about the Benjamins ...

Icymudpuppy
12-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Probably the mayor's idiot brother in law. :D

Does he carry one bullet, in his pocket?

Tod
12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
I did find on the satellite pic, a sewage treatment plant...

Not sure if the water comes from wells or if they buy it from a nearby larger city that has its own reservoir and water treatment facility...