PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians vs Tea Partiers within the GOP - statistics

Matt Collins
12-30-2013, 11:04 AM
The statistics in here are fascinating:

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/posts/2013/12/27-libertarian-power-gop-tilchin#

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Blogs/FixGov/Libertarians_PRRI%20graphic.jpg
(http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/posts/2013/12/27-libertarian-power-gop-tilchin#)

gwax23
12-30-2013, 11:08 AM
So 12% libertarian. 20% Tea party. Roughly 22% fall into the broad liberty camp....Im somewhat disappointed its not higher. Great article either way. Also the northeast is tied for second in terms of location of Libertarians....so much for all that hating on Northerners. Also I dont think the figures include a sizable Objectivist community within the Party, which couldnt further tilt the numbers in our favor (that is if you consider them friends of liberty) I dont think the larger evangelical, social conservatives, religious right, can really be considered our friends unless you want to really broaden the tent and thus dilute the overall message.

Suzanimal
12-30-2013, 11:15 AM
That was pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

1% of white evangelicals say that religion is not important in their lives

I found this statistic a little strange.

libertarianMoney
12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
"libertarians are also wealthier than average, better educated than average, and young"

Mhm... That's us they're talking about. *struts around room confidently.

We should put that on campaign posters.

(
Yea. I know it doesn't work that way but the general population doesn't get that.
Proof:
1. Makeup commercials. Nope... Sorry you're not going to look like Taylor Swift.
2. Beer commercials. Sorry beer wont actually make your group of friends interesting.
)

otherone
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
The Conservative "movement" might be more effective if the three groups above would focus on common ground. How close are we all to Goldwater?
How close are we all to anti-federalism?

parocks
12-30-2013, 12:19 PM
The Conservative "movement" might be more effective if the three groups above would focus on common ground. How close are we all to Goldwater?
How close are we all to anti-federalism?

Agree. I don't need to be reminded about wedge issues.

Christian Liberty
12-30-2013, 12:37 PM
So 12% libertarian. 20% Tea party. Roughly 22% fall into the broad liberty camp....Im somewhat disappointed its not higher. Great article either way. Also the northeast is tied for second in terms of location of Libertarians....so much for all that hating on Northerners. Also I dont think the figures include a sizable Objectivist community within the Party, which couldnt further tilt the numbers in our favor (that is if you consider them friends of liberty) I dont think the larger evangelical, social conservatives, religious right, can really be considered our friends unless you want to really broaden the tent and thus dilute the overall message.

I'm generally fine with social conservatives as long as they keep their "social conservatism" to the state level. I mean, my ideal is anarcho-capitalism, but you've got to start somewhere. I'll work with anyone who at least supports the constitution.

That said, Chuck Baldwin and Mike Huckabee would both identify as "social conservative", yet in reality they are completely different. I'd consider the former to be an ally of liberty, and not the latter. I think most people here would agree with me on that... maybe not all.

Really, its the foreign policy, police militarization, military and police worship, mass surveilance, "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" mentality, lack of serious support for the 2nd amendment, lack of serious support for lower taxes (There's more talk about "tax fairness" than tax reduction) and so forth than it is with the social conservatism.

Mind you, I understand why some would disagree with me on that. Obviously if you're a drug user than legalization of drugs is likely to trump the other issues for you. Its somewhat lower on my importance list... still high but nowhere near #1. If you participate in prostitution (whether buying or selling), you're obviously going to have somewhat less tolerance for people who wrongly oppose the libertarian position on that one issue than I do. And so forth. The "gay marriage" thing I still don't really understand at all, though. It really doesn't have that much of an effect on your liberty even if you are gay, its seriously debatable whether the effect is positive or negative, and most of the homosexual movement really has little concern for equal rights and liberty at all. Some people seem to confuse "social conservatives" (with an implication of authoritarianism) with opposing abortion and government recognized SSM, and if that's an accurate definition of "social conservative" than I guess I'm a social conservative anarchist:p

Tywysog Cymru
12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
The GOP establishment doesn't view Social Conservatives as "useful" anymore, so they will increasingly feel alienated from the mainstream of the party. Conservative Christians were overwhelmingly opposed to war in Syria, and I think we're starting to see a growing anti-war movement within Conservative Christian circles.

Keith and stuff
12-30-2013, 12:52 PM
So 12% libertarian. 20% Tea party. Roughly 22% fall into the broad liberty camp....Im somewhat disappointed its not higher. Great article either way. Also the northeast is tied for second in terms of location of Libertarians....so much for all that hating on Northerners.

We can look at where Ron Paul did the best in 2012. He did the best in Northern New England (3 states). His next best region was New England (6 states). His 3rd best region was the Canadian border states. 4th best was the Pacific Northwest. 5th best was the Northeast. Ron Paul was least popular in the regions that make up there area where he lives.

Ron Paul Support by Region:
1. Northern New England 28%
2. New England 22%
3. Canadian Border 22%
4. Pacific Northwest 20%
5. Northeast 19%
6. West Coast 18%
7. East Coast 16%
8. Mid-Atlantic 15%
9. Midwest 15%
10. Great Lakes 14%
11. Mountain West 13%
12. Southeast 12%
13. Southwest 11%
14. Mexican Border 10%
15. Gulf Coast 7%
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?366812-Ron-Paul-Support-by-Region

philipped
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Does anybody think that these numbers could change in good and bad ways by 2016?

ThePenguinLibertarian
01-01-2014, 03:28 AM
We can look at where Ron Paul did the best in 2012. He did the best in Northern New England (3 states). His next best region was New England (6 states). His 3rd best region was the Canadian border states. 4th best was the Pacific Northwest. 5th best was the Northeast. Ron Paul was least popular in the regions that make up there area where he lives.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?366812-Ron-Paul-Support-by-Region
I didn't know canucks loved Ron Paul. If only the South loved him more.