PDA

View Full Version : LAPD Cracks Down On Jaywalkers - $197 Fines

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
http://jalopnik.com/lapd-cracks-down-on-jaywalkers-as-more-people-ditch-car-1489914436

At some point or another, you and I will have moments when we aren't in cars (I know, it's terrifying.). But if you happen to not be in a car in a place called Los Angeles, expect to have a less-than-swell time, as police are cracking down on pedestrians like never before. P

Well, not just pedestrians, but a specific kind of pedestrian: the jaywalker. In recent weeks the department has issued dozens of jaywalking citations to pedestrians, and they aren't cheap.P

Sure, jaywalkers can be a nuisance sometimes. But the intensity with which the Los Angeles Police Department is going after jaywalkers has raised eyebrows, according to the New York Times:P

Still, the enforcement has struck many of the pedestrians — the new kids on the block — as more than a little one-sided and strikingly strict. When Adam Bialik, a bartender, stepped off the curb on his way to work at the Ritz-Carlton a few blinks after the crossing signal began its red "Don't Walk" countdown, he was met by a waiting police officer on the other side of the street and issued a ticket for $197.

"I didn't even know that was against the law," he said. "I was like, 'You are the L.A.P.D., and this is what you are doing right now?' "P

I dunno, $197 for being in the intersection during the countdown? When traffic isn't even coming yet? That sounds pretty extreme to me. Another example:P

Jeff Grotke, 49, a bankruptcy lawyer who works downtown, said he crossed a street midblock on the way to Bankruptcy Court when there was not a car in sight. He was stopped by two officers and given a ticket.

"Honestly, I cussed them out for about five minutes," he said. "I told them what a stupid waste of time this was, and wasn't it great that they had two police officers standing there when there are obviously more important issues out there."

Goofy formatting for me. Article continues on link, probably with better formatting.

aGameOfThrones
12-29-2013, 05:30 PM
it's for your safety, sheep.

TaftFan
12-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Pretty exorbitant although I don't feel much sympathy for them.

Sure they are free to put their own lives in danger but they can also damage vehicles and even cause injury to others if they get hit.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Sure they are free to put their own lives in danger but they can also damage vehicles and even cause injury to others if they get hit.

LOL...and they won't feel much sympathy for you, when it happens to you.

But hey, let me guess...you're "law abiding" right?

TaftFan
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm common-sense abiding too.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. These individuals should actually be thankful that they got a ticket. Hopefully, it'll get their heads out of the clouds and bring them down to earth. There is a reason for crosswalks and pedestrian signals!

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM

So, when it happens to you, you'll either be complicit or surprised.

Ender
12-29-2013, 06:13 PM

That's a bunch of bull.

Studies have been made that show that pedestrians are actually safer when they jaywalk than in the crosswalks.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. These individuals should actually be thankful that they got a ticket. Hopefully, it'll get their heads out of the clouds and bring them down to earth. There is a reason for crosswalks and pedestrian signals!

The Officers were not in any danger, were they?

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:20 PM
That's a bunch of bull.

Studies have been made that show that pedestrians are actually safer when they jaywalk than in the crosswalks.

It really doesn't matter whether you can cite them. It's a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo bunk. Pedestrian walks and signals provide for a safe, orderly and expeditious form of travel between automobiles and individuals. Anyone that does not conform to these social improvements risks bringing about chaos, disorder and a loss of rule of law. Taftfan is right. We have a social contract and a rule of law to keep us civilized. If not this then anarchy and terrorism.

Ender
12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Despite what the police would have us believe, we are all jaywalkers. We have no choice; to negotiate the city on foot requires endless street crossing without benefit of traffic light, crosswalk or corner.

The police are now stopping jaywalkers and other pedestrians whose behaviour they don't like to hand out tickets and deliver a lecture on street safety. It's for our own good, of course. Pedestrians are naughty children who must be protected from themselves.

And sometimes we do need to be protected from ourselves. Anyone who saunters into the path of an oncoming streetcar while engrossed in a cellphone conversation is asking for trouble.

But the reality of jaywalking is quite the opposite. In fact, jaywalking can be much safer than crossing at a green light, corner or crosswalk.

That might sound counterintuitive, but the reason is simple: Jaywalkers assume nothing; those crossing legally assume everything.

Pedestrians at a green light take it for granted that vehicles will come to a stop, that drivers turning right or left will see them, and that their right-of-way will be respected. As we know, it's not.

By contrast, jaywalkers look both ways, wait for a break in the traffic and often make eye contact with drivers before proceeding.

The concept of "naked streets," or as the Dutch call them, woonerfs, is based on the same principle. Because street signs have been removed, drivers and pedestrians are forced to pay close attention to each other. Fewer accidents result.

No one should hold their breath waiting for naked streets to appear in Toronto; that's never going to happen. On the other hand, it would be worth employing a bit more subtlety and intelligence than the police have managed. Imposing fines and wagging fingers will accomplish nothing. Deaths will continue.

And let's not forget that the majority of the 14 pedestrians killed by drivers in the last few weeks were doing exactly what the law stipulated. They weren't jaywalking, though they might have been better off had that been the case.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/01/28/hume_maybe_wed_all_be_safer_jaywalking.html

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Safety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyBwH65G2GI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6OuFU9q9Vg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3nlBuxrkHg

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Cop basher.

Safety:

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Cop basher.

I can see now that I am going to have to keep a dossier on you. I will need something to trade for my freedom should your baseless accusations merit consideration from my beloved protectors. I hope my post report finds it's way to the moderators before a refusnik saboteur such as yourself can cause real damage. This is verbal terrorism.

KCIndy
12-29-2013, 07:10 PM
it's for your safety, sheep.

Actually, it's to provide another source of income for a nearly bankrupt fascist state.

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Soon enough, there will be Mandatory Surveillance to prevent people from Bleating Off.

(not a typo, bleat = sound a sheep makes)

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Actually, it's to provide another source of income for a nearly bankrupt fascist state.

I can't believe you think this. There are still places in this world were individuals are whipped and scourged for breaking the law. We are getting off easy. Fines are meant to cause reflection on why we have made an error in judgement. The next time you decide to jaywalk you might want to consider the rent that you must pay. Or the diapers your kid might need. Or paying any of your utility bills. I can't believe that anyone would not consider all this before crossing a street. THAT is the problem with this country.

Ender
12-29-2013, 07:43 PM
I can't believe you think this. There are still places in this world were individuals are whipped and scourged for breaking the law. We are getting off easy. Fines are meant to cause reflection on why we have made an error in judgement. The next time you decide to jaywalk you might want to consider the rent that you must pay. Or the diapers your kid might need. Or paying any of your utility bills. I can't believe that anyone would not consider all this before crossing a street. THAT is the problem with this country.

More people die in the crosswalks than in jaywalking.

When you jaywalk you take no chances- when you are in the crosswalks you actually suppose that drivers are going to stop for you.

Ho. Ho. Ha. Ha.

TaftFan
12-29-2013, 07:49 PM

When you jaywalk you take no chances- when you are in the crosswalks you actually suppose that drivers are going to stop for you.

Ho. Ho. Ha. Ha.

Perhaps it is only because a very small % of people (the stupid) jaywalk.

I personally watch where I am going while on the sidewalk. I understand the contrarians don't like common sense but I won't change my habits for their approval.

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 07:49 PM

In those places, the people that are whipped and physically injured is the punishment issued by the law. However, here, although physical injury is not the sentence of the courts, it is all too often the method of punishment as issued by the Cops. To often Lethal consequences.

In BOTH cases, the problem arises from an Authority that has Zero Accountability to its people.

The US is broke. Flat Broke. I doubt it will be long before we see Public Lashings as a form of Punishment due to both Overcrowding of Prisons, and Inability of the accused to Pay the Fines and Fees. People may actually ask for a Public Lashing in lieu of a Fine they cant pay, or Imprisonment because of the additional costs of being incarcerated, such as loss of job if the person has one, which leads to loss of home.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 07:57 PM

Ho. Ho. Ha. Ha.

It's not about how many live or die. It is about structural order. As a driver I have been trained to watch out at intersections. That means i can search my I-pod for the right mix, eat my breakfast, pay attention to the truly enlightening mouthings of co-workers in between lights. I'll be glad when I won't have to drive a car anymore. Thank god they are coming out with automated driverless conveyance receptacles. Then I won't be responsible for scofflaws that flaunt lawlessness by crossing the road without the benefit or safety of lines and signals.

Keith and stuff
12-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Still, the enforcement has struck many of the pedestrians — the new kids on the block — as more than a little one-sided and strikingly strict. When Adam Bialik, a bartender, stepped off the curb on his way to work at the Ritz-Carlton a few blinks after the crossing signal began its red "Don't Walk" countdown, he was met by a waiting police officer on the other side of the street and issued a ticket for $197.

"I didn't even know that was against the law," he said. "I was like, 'You are the L.A.P.D., and this is what you are doing right now?' "P

It must an an Onion article. There is no way it is illegal to cross at a cross walk when the cross walk says that you still have 9 seconds to enter the cross walk. It's just like you cannot be ticketed for going under a traffic light when it is yellow, even if it turns red while you are under it.

I am very glad to know that there is zero serious crime in LA, though. It must be a lovely city.

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 08:04 PM
It must an an Onion article. There is no way it is illegal to cross at a cross walk when the cross walk says that you still have 9 seconds to enter the cross walk. It's just like you cannot be ticketed for going under a traffic light when it is yellow, even if it turns red while you are under it.

I am very glad to know that there is zero serious crime in LA, though. It must be a lovely city.

Many cops fear the apprehension of a violent criminal, and instead choose to focus on the non violent mundane. Theyre easier targets than trying to arrest a very drunk pissed off asshole with a baseball bat.

Keith and stuff
12-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Many cops fear the apprehension of a violent criminal, and instead choose to focus on the non violent mundane. Theyre easier targets than trying to arrest a very drunk pissed off asshole with a baseball bat.

But walking in a cross walk when it tells you to walk isn't/shouldn't be against the law. Wouldn't that ban many elderly/disabled people from even legally using cross walks in LA?

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 08:26 PM
But walking in a cross walk when it tells you to walk isn't/shouldn't be against the law. Wouldn't that ban many elderly/disabled people from even legally using cross walks in LA?

It will bring the archaic practice of Boy Scouts back into relevance reshaped under the progressive guidelines of the Obama Youth Brigade. These young people need purpose.
There is no higher purpose than helping a fellow citizen to be lawful. It is a moral duty.

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 08:31 PM
It will bring the archaic practice of Boy Scouts back into relevance reshaped under the progressive guidelines of the Obama Youth Brigade. These young people need purpose.
There is no higher purpose than helping a fellow citizen to be lawful. It is a moral duty.

And requiring it by law destroys a persons sense of obligation to that duty, but instead, obligation is shown to the law, which results in the sacrifice of morals.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 08:47 PM
And requiring it by law destroys a persons sense of obligation to that duty, but instead, obligation is shown to the law, which results in the sacrifice of morals.

Whether required by law, or voluntarily given, civic responsibility is to be commended. Laws are made for a purpose. If an individual is forced to morally be responsible for his neighbor then it is an effective training tool for those that are not naturally inclined. Eventually, it will become the natural societal reaction that it should be.

LibForestPaul
12-29-2013, 08:54 PM

They voted Obama, don't care

kuckfeynes
12-30-2013, 02:11 AM
So extortion can morally justified, so long as it is being done in the name of civic responsibility, as defined by the extortionists.

DamianTV
12-30-2013, 02:53 AM
For there to exist a Crime, there must also exist a Victim.

Who is the Victim? The guy that hits the Jaywalker? The Public? The Govt? I looked around and the only Victim I could spy with my little eye was the Jaywalker him or herself.

Danke
12-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Beam me up Scotty!

oyarde
12-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Well , with 20 % of the County on welfare , that frees up alot of time for a stroll ....

Ender
12-30-2013, 11:57 AM

I personally watch where I am going while on the sidewalk. I understand the contrarians don't like common sense but I won't change my habits for their approval.

How's that Blue Pill doing for ya? I hate to burst your bubble but most people jaywalk.

The stupid people are the ones who think they are safe in the crosswalks. And, BTW- I am always aware of what is going on around me crosswalks or no.

SeanTX
12-30-2013, 12:33 PM
How's that Blue Pill doing for ya? I hate to burst your bubble but most people jaywalk.

The stupid people are the ones who think they are safe in the crosswalks. And, BTW- I am always aware of what is going on around me crosswalks or no.

THIS. Around here there aren't many actual "crosswalks" (i.e., marked with paint on the road, signs, pedestrian light, etc) , those are only at major intersections , and people shouldn't have to go a quarter mile or more out of their way just to use a designated crosswalk.

Plus I've found you are in far more danger if you have the pedestrian "right of way" at a major intersection than you are *carefully* jaywalking (at a traffic-lighted intersection if you are on foot and have the right-of-way people will run you down if you aren't alert enough, and often times in view of cops who do nothing).

And technically crossing at an intersection without an official "crosswalk" isn't really jaywalking, but I can see a cop ticketing someone for it. I always try to cross at intersections, just out of self-preservation / not wanting to interfere with traffic -- but know I'm safer doing it at the ones that don't have lights and crosswalks.

It's funny to go downtown and see fat cops and sheriffs deputies waddling around, crossing busy streets wherever they damn well please -- yet I'm sure some of these guys hand out "jaywalking" tickets to mundanes.

TaftFan
12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Whatever. I'm not a fan of prior constraints, but if jaywalkers cause an accident I am fine with them getting blamed.

Ender
12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Whatever. I'm not a fan of prior constraints, but if jaywalkers cause an accident I am fine with them getting blamed.

In this we agree.

ClydeCoulter
12-30-2013, 12:41 PM

oyarde
12-30-2013, 12:43 PM
I have an unpaid jaywalking ticket from 1985 in a different country.

SeanTX
12-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Me too, if it can be shown that their jaywalking was the primary cause of the accident. However, no accident, no victim -- no crime.

Of course, there's the other side, in some "inner city" areas I've seen some ridiculous examples of what is truly "jaywalking" , where morons are walking and weaving in between cars waiting at busy intersections, truly impeding the flow of traffic. Here there is the potential to cause an accident, and traffic is truly being impeded, so I might not have much sympathy for those types getting a ticket.

However, we can't count on cops to use "discretion" and look at the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law. Like the guy in the article ticketed because he started crossing when the count down light began -- if the light hadn't changed yet he still technically had the right of way, therefore, should not have received a ticket.

The $197 tells you what this is all about -- it used to be that jaywalking tickets were more in the $25 - $50 range. A slap on the wrist, not a punch in the nuts. It's just a lucrative new revenue stream for the magic-costumed tax collectors.

HOLLYWOOD
12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
The $197 tells you what this is all about -- it used to be that jaywalking tickets were more in the $25 - $50 range. A slap on the wrist, not a punch in the nuts. It's just a lucrative new revenue stream for the magic-costumed tax collectors.

$197 is the "Revenue Fine"

then there's:

Court Fee:
Processing Fee:
Credit Card payment Surcharge:
State Security Processing Tax:

AND...

18% Gratuity Charge

Your California 'Cultural Marxism' State

Root
12-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Thou must only cross the kings road at specified locations and times otherwise, you will owe the king a road crossing tax and the kings enforcers might shoot your dog.

Origanalist
12-30-2013, 01:20 PM
It really doesn't matter whether you can cite them. It's a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo bunk. Pedestrian walks and signals provide for a safe, orderly and expeditious form of travel between automobiles and individuals. Anyone that does not conform to these social improvements risks bringing about chaos, disorder and a loss of rule of law. Taftfan is right. We have a social contract and a rule of law to keep us civilized. If not this then anarchy and terrorism.

NOOOooooo!!!

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/files/anarchy.jpg

DamianTV
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Just remember the MSM Distorted Perspective: You are more likely to be killed by a Terrorist than by crossing the street.

phill4paul
12-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Just remember the MSM Distorted Perspective: You are more likely to be killed by a Terrorist than by crossing the street.

...and more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist.

Red Green
12-31-2013, 09:59 AM

So in your universe, it's not common sense to cross a street when there are no cars in sight? The common sense thing to do is wait until you have a govt controlled sign that says you can cross? WTF?

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 03:46 PM
So in your universe, it's not common sense to cross a street when there are no cars in sight? The common sense thing to do is wait until you have a govt controlled sign that says you can cross? WTF?

Slightly off topic, but I wish Govt would apply a bit more common sense where they put their Deer Crossing signs. They keep putting their signs up in areas that make it more difficult to see the deer. Maybe a better solution would be to post "No Deer Crossing" signs.

/sounding like idiot

robert9712000
12-31-2013, 04:52 PM
I admit i Jaywalked today. It was so scary, I'm used to everything telling me what I'm supposed to do. At first I wasn't sure what to do, but then i remember what i used to do at 7 years old. So i took a deep breath and looked both ways and then proceeded across the road. I felt guilty at first for using my own judgement, because after years of conditioning that i must always obey all rules and do as your told i knew, i was probably angering my overlords. Amazingly though, i made it across without being hurt. It must be my lucky day, I think i should buy some lotto numbers tonight.

DamianTV
12-31-2013, 05:03 PM
I admit i Jaywalked today. It was so scary, I'm used to everything telling me what I'm supposed to do. At first I wasn't sure what to do, but then i remember what i used to do at 7 years old. So i took a deep breath and looked both ways and then proceeded across the road. I felt guilty at first for using my own judgement, because after years of conditioning that i must always obey all rules and do as your told i knew, i was probably angering my overlords. Amazingly though, i made it across without being hurt. It must be my lucky day, I think i should buy some lotto numbers tonight.

It is good that you are aware of your mistakes, Comrade. Keep up the good work and make sure that others value Obedience over everything else.

/sarcasm

---

Its not possible to Legislate Moral Behavior without losing the Morality in the process. Obedient Thinking is a dangerous because it eliminates Thinking, period.

cjm
12-31-2013, 05:48 PM

It's ok to call jaywalkers stupid. You can post "no jaywalkers" signs on your property and you can buy Super Bowl ad time to ridicule them too. You just can't take their money until they've committed an actual crime like the ones you describe. I hope you see that.