PDA

View Full Version : Dog shot by police serving search warrant at wrong address.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Video at link.

Dog shot by police in Holly Hill recovering
Investigation ongoing, police say

HOLLY HILL, Fla. —A dog in Volusia County is recovering after being shot by police, its owner said.

Richard Stotlar said Lady, which he rescued more than a year ago, is now stitched up and in pain after being shot three times about midnight Friday on Elsie Avenue in Holly Hill.

“I was sitting in there, watching TV, and all of a sudden we hear three gunshots,” Stotlar said.

Stotlar said he ran outside and saw officers in his backyard with Lady surrounded. Officers said the dog made an aggressive move.

“She is a big baby. She is not a vicious animal,” Stotlar said.

He said it started when officers came banging on his door, trying to serve a search warrant on a prostitute who Stotlar said doesn't live there.

"I repeatedly told them that she didn't live here. They wanted to argue with me, so I just shut the door. Then they went over here and pried my gate open and went back there,” Stotlar said.

That’s when the gunshots cracked the late-night silence.

“(The officer) shot her so close, she had powder burns on her face,” Stotlar said. “They knew they did wrong. They said, ‘Don’t worry about it. The bill is on us.’”

Stotlar said a bullet fragment is still lodged near Lady’s ear canal.

“They tried to use the excuse that (the officer) is a rookie,” Stotlar said.

Holly Hill police officials said they are conducting a use of force investigation, but the officer remains on duty.

Stotlar said he has contacted PETA and a lawyer because he feels Holly Hill police got sloppy with their job.

“They didn’t even investigate to see where this person lived. I Googled her on my phone, and she was arrested on Nov. 28, so she might still be in jail,” Stotlar said.

Stotlar said he has a $3,000 bill from the veterinarian for Lady’s treatment.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/volusia-county/dog-shot-by-police-in-holly-hill-recovering/-/12983450/23684420/-/exvdikz/-/index.html#ixzz2osNvCwcJ

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Ugghh...from the peanut gallery.

comment:

ZipperChest • an hour ago −
The officers were refused entrance even with a search warrant. Its the dog owners fault. Powder burns on the dog indicate that the animal was very close to the officer. I just love it when people break the law by not allowing officers in with a search warrant and then they cry because the officers tried to gain entrance through the back. The guy was hoping that the dog would attack the officers and he got a surprise. Now this dirt will get a lawyer and contact peta when it all could have been avoided by following police orders. At least now this law breaker will sue and get a big pay out when he only has himself to blame.

Suzanimal
12-29-2013, 09:31 AM

comment:

I saw that, I only hope that someday "ZipperChest" and everyone who up voted his asinine comment get "protected and served".

tod evans
12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Did the brave officers make it home okay?

Intoxiklown
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
My son and I are getting ready to go pick up our new family dog from the breeder kennel, and I start my day reading this......=(

Sooner or later, these vindictive "peace officers" are going to get the war they so desperately seem to want.

tod evans
12-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Up until recently it has been acceptable for a man to defend his livestock with deadly force against any who would harm them...

I've gotta wonder which law needs to be repealed in order for that to be the case again...

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 10:55 AM

ZipperChest • an hour ago −
The officers were refused entrance even with a search warrant. Its the dog owners fault. Powder burns on the dog indicate that the animal was very close to the officer. I just love it when people break the law by not allowing officers in with a search warrant and then they cry because the officers tried to gain entrance through the back. The guy was hoping that the dog would attack the officers and he got a surprise. Now this dirt will get a lawyer and contact peta when it all could have been avoided by following police orders. At least now this law breaker will sue and get a big pay out when he only has himself to blame.

comment:

Asshole cop, I'll wager...what do you expect?

Looks like a nice middle class home...that's "dirt" to Officer Friendly here.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Did the brave officers make it home okay?

I'm sure they are quite safe, citizen, thanks for your concern...now, move along.

Dr.3D
12-29-2013, 12:11 PM

comment:
I guess ZipperChest doesn't realize they didn't have a search warrant for that address and what the cops were doing was illegal.

pcosmar
12-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I guess ZipperChest doesn't realize they didn't have a search warrant for that address and what the cops were doing was illegal.

To the ZipperChests of this world,, nothing the police do is ever illegal..

It becomes legal simply because the police are doing it.
Rape, Theft and Murder are all legal when the police do it. :(

Pericles
12-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Up until recently it has been acceptable for a man to defend his livestock with deadly force against any who would harm them...

I've gotta wonder which law needs to be repealed in order for that to be the case again...
In Texas:

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

aGameOfThrones
12-29-2013, 01:17 PM
ZipperChest Glenn • 3 hours ago
He knew when he closed the door on the cops that they would not just leave. I am not a big fan of the cops but this guy knew his dog was back there and should have protected his pet.

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Understand the Logic from the Cops perspective: Dogs ARE Weapons.

(Understanding the perspective does not mean one has to agree with the perspective.)

Dr.3D
12-29-2013, 05:22 PM

(Understanding the perspective does not mean one has to agree with the perspective.)
My dogs are never loaded.

kathy88
12-29-2013, 05:25 PM
My dogs are never loaded.
Mine are.

Suzanimal
12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
.. ZipperChest Glenn • 3 hours ago
He knew when he closed the door on the cops that they would not just leave. I am not a big fan of the cops but this guy knew his dog was back there and should have protected his pet.

The cops also knew he had a dog back there, a Beware of Dog sign was posted on the gate the cops busted to gain entry into the backyard. I think ZipperHead's girlfriend is SueBrowCounty.

suebrowcounty
• 2 hours ago

Really, common sense says you bring the dog inside if you just shut the door on the cops. Unless of course he was trying to provoke a shooting incident so if that's the case, the owner was successful. If police are near my house I do not let my kids or my animals outside until they are gone. That is common sense. And no I don't believe the dog should have been shot but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Yeah, SueBrowCounty, he was clearly trying to provoke a shooting incident. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 06:26 PM
suebrowcounty
• 2 hours ago

Really, common sense says you bring the dog inside if you just shut the door on the cops. Unless of course he was trying to provoke a shooting incident so if that's the case, the owner was successful. If police are near my house I do not let my kids or my animals outside until they are gone. That is common sense. And no I don't believe the dog should have been shot but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I can't really disagree with the bold text.

I keep my pets and family away from these criminal lunatics as well.

Dr.3D
12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Mine are.
No lock on the liquor cabinet?

If I didn't lock the cabinet, I would come home to my dogs having a party with friends invited over.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
No lock on the liquor cabinet?

If I didn't lock the cabinet, I would come home to my dogs having a party with friends invited over.

Got a number i can contact your dogs at? I've got an opposable thumb.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Mines a gangly goofy pup. I have no doubt that "contempt of cop" would be taken out on him if I were to allow it. My property doesn't end at my door step. Good day. Be gone. Let me show you off my property.

Dr.3D
12-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Got a number i can contact your dogs at? I've got an opposable thumb.
I asked them and neither one want you to have their cell number. Go figure.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I asked them and neither one want you to have their cell number. Go figure.

AHHHHH! I have had many cuts from slings and arrows on these forums. That one is palpable.

Dr.3D
12-29-2013, 07:50 PM
AHHHHH! I have had many cuts from slings and arrows on these forums. That one is palpable.
Sorry, but you have to know, Dobermans can be pretty snooty at times. (One just told me to say, "Life's a bitch.")

:D

DamianTV
12-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Sorry, but you have to know, Dobermans can be pretty snooty at times. (One just told me to say, "Life's a bitch.")

All animals can be snooty. Humans are animals too. So are Cops.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

Meh, Dobies are emaciated posers. Wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway. :toady: