PDA

View Full Version : We are in trouble - re: the youth vote

tangent4ronpaul
12-28-2013, 06:41 AM
In the first campaign we had Meetup (and Yahoo - but Yahoo was uncool to the younger crowd).
In the second campaign a distributed infrastructure evolved on Facebook and kids bailed on MySpace and moved there.

What's left of our infrastructure and ability to regroup is left on Facebook (and Meetup), and young people are bailing from that site. It's where they are going, that is a problem:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2530197/Facebook-dead-buried-teenagers-switch-WhatsApp-Snapchat-dont-want-mum-dad-embarrassing-pictures.html#ixzz2okkJIlLz

Facebook 'dead and buried' as teenagers switch to WhatsApp and Snapchat - because they don't want mum and dad to see their embarrassing pictures
Alternative picture-sharing apps are growing along with Instagram
Study found many leave Facebook when their parents send friend request
University College London expert: 'Facebook is simply not cool any more'

Facebook is losing its appeal to teenagers as more and more parents start using it to keep tabs on them, researchers have discovered.
They say youngsters now consider the social networking site ‘dead and buried’ and are too embarrassed to post intimate details in case their mothers or fathers find out.
The research, which looked into the online habits of teenagers in eight European countries including the UK, found many young Facebook users were switching to alternatives such as Snapchat and WhatsApp.
(cont)

============
So, what are we going to do about this? The study was of 16-18yo's, so a prime demographic for a 2 year campaign.

This suggests to me that the next campaign will be very picture and meme driven, in order to reach this demographic and it's going to be hard to connect with them. We don't have down how to make something go viral, yet.

So, thoughts and suggestions?

-t

kathy88
12-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Nice. Reaching a demographic has been reduced to who can come up with the funniest memes. These idiots don't deserve our help. My kids (24, 21 9 and 7) are readers thank God. All of them love to read. It amazes me how many of their friends (especially the older two) don't read at all.

Occam's Banana
12-28-2013, 08:01 AM
If the Liberty Movement can't survive losing access to the "selfie" demographic, then there was never a Liberty Movement to begin with ...

compromise
12-28-2013, 08:22 AM
WhatsApp is an alternative to SMS so it has little political use.

Instagram could work, but with all of these you can only have 1 account per device.

philipped
11-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Y'all are lucky I'm here. Memes & Hashtags that can lead to literature (a news Article) via Twitter will still suffice.

philipped
11-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Rand on snapchat is a good thing seeing that the under 30 crowd is on it almost exclusively.