PDA

View Full Version : OR-Cops arrest arrest elderly man for delirium attack.

Anti Federalist
12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Hospital, school, prison, airport.

Doing what cops do: arrest people.

Family disputes patient's arrest: 'It ruined Christmas for everybody'

By Erica Nochlin, KATU News Published: Dec 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM PST Last Updated: Dec 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM PST

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Family-disputes-hospital-patients-arrest-It-ruined-Christmas-for-everybody-237426961.html

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A local family is disputing an arrest that put their loved one in jail on Christmas.

They admit Jimmy Joe Brown, 50, shoved his wife while he was a patient at Oregon Health and Science University, but they say his medical condition caused his aggressive behavior.

"This is not domestic violence on any scale, not even close," his son Tommy Brown said. "It’s not my dad who did that; that was the delirium."

Jimmy Joe Brown’s wife, Susan, has medical documentation to show doctors diagnosed him with delirium, which doctors said they see "frequently" in the hospital. Delirium can cause irritable and aggressive behavior.

Susan Brown said she’s never felt afraid of her husband, and even his doctors reassured her about his temporary change in behavior.

"They gave me a hug and said, ‘You have to remember this is not Jim, don’t take it personally,'" she said.

Jimmy Joe Brown does not have a criminal history. His doctors agreed he was getting better and could go home for the holiday.

"Christmas was the only day he knew it was Christmas, and it was December, and it was 2013," Susan said. "I thought, ‘I'm going to get my Jim back.'"

Instead, OHSU Public Safety officers arrested him when he was discharged from the hospital. OHSU wouldn’t comment about the case or whether officers consulted his doctors, but the hospital sent the following statement:

"OHSU police officers are required to enforce state laws in order to keep our patients and visitors safe at all times… Oregon state law mandates that when a peace officer has probable cause to believe an assault has occurred between family members, the officer is required to arrest and take into custody the alleged assailant."

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office decided Thursday not to press charges. Jimmy Joe Brown was released from jail Thursday night.

"It did a lot of damage," Susan said through tears. "It ruined Christmas for everybody."

phill4paul
12-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Silly fooktwit mundanes. YOU don't have to press charges. We will do it for you. You're probably under duress and can't think properly. We are just helping out. It's for your own good. What? You don't think it is for your own good? STFU before we charge YOU with "obstruction of justice.'

KCIndy
12-27-2013, 11:37 PM
"OHSU police officers are required to enforce state laws in order to keep our patients and visitors safe at all times… Oregon state law mandates that when a peace officer has probable cause to believe an assault has occurred between family members, the officer is required to arrest and take into custody the alleged assailant."

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office decided Thursday not to press charges. Jimmy Joe Brown was released from jail Thursday night.

"It did a lot of damage," Susan said through tears. "It ruined Christmas for everybody."

Hey, no big deal. These brave and noble "peace" officers were "just following orders" like all good little jackbooted thugs are trained to do.

That's so much easier than using discretion and common sense.

Ender
12-27-2013, 11:44 PM
50 is elderly?

Anti Federalist
12-28-2013, 01:19 PM
50 is elderly?

If you're suffering from geriatric dementia I'd say, yes, that is "elderly".

kahless
12-28-2013, 02:18 PM
If you're suffering from geriatric dementia I'd say, yes, that is "elderly".

You also do not have to be elderly or have dementia to become delirious from illness or medication.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
You also do not have to be elderly or have dementia to become delirious from illness or medication.

Quite true.

Sickness is a felony, now.

They'll cull the Untermensch one way or the other.

catfeathers
12-28-2013, 06:27 PM
50 is elderly?

I didn't catch that the first time I read it. Looks like I'm close to being elderly. It's about time, I've felt elderly for a long time. No delirium or dementia, as far as I know. :confused:

youngbuck
12-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Doing what cops do: arrest people.

Alternatively:

Doing what cops do: make otherwise good things bad, and bad things worse.

JK/SEA
12-28-2013, 08:08 PM
way to go Jim, ruin christmas for everyone...say you're sorry, or we're going to have to inject the thorazine.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2013, 08:15 PM
way to go Jim, ruin christmas for everyone...say you're sorry, or we're going to have to inject the thorazine.

"See what you made me do Jimmy!" - Officer Friendly.

Suzanimal
12-28-2013, 08:32 PM

I followed the link and read some of the comments. One lady posted saying she knows the family and that the incident happened a week before the arrest. So I'm wondering who even told the cops he shoved her? I doubt the family did, maybe the doctor? Poor guy :(

kahless
12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
I followed the link and read some of the comments. One lady posted saying she knows the family and that the incident happened a week before the arrest. So I'm wondering who even told the cops he shoved her? I doubt the family did, maybe the doctor? Poor guy :(

The link says the "Doctors had diagnosed him with delirium". I can see this happening where one out of many caregivers serving a patient does not understand it is delirium from medication or illness. In just one day you could have many different doctors, nurses, aides, security, all it takes is one of them that is either not trained to recognize it or does not read the chart.

Maybe it got reported and they waited until the patient was released to act on it.

asurfaholic
12-29-2013, 07:28 AM
The family sounds like they would have been ok with it had it happened any other time of the year. But no! Not on christmas good lord why christmas?

A screw these people good and hard, unless I'm missing something.

They should be upset that the young man got arrested because no crime occurred not because it ruined your dinner. How do you construct change from a bad situation when you don't dispute the heart of the problem?

I could be wrong, and the media may be distorting things.

Slutter McGee
12-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Sounds like prosecutors got it right. Sucks that Christmas was ruined for them by overzealous police, but maybe this proves that not all people in law enforcement are the spawn of the devil like so many of you assholes would like us to believe.

Slutter McGee

otherone
12-29-2013, 04:28 PM
maybe this proves that not all people in law enforcement are the spawn of the devil like so many of you assholes would like us to believe.

Not all of them....just the ones in law enforcement.

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Sounds like prosecutors got it right. Sucks that Christmas was ruined for them by overzealous police, but maybe this proves that not all people in law enforcement are the spawn of the devil like so many of you assholes would like us to believe.

Slutter McGee

LOL

kahless
12-29-2013, 04:38 PM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/portmanteau_nail/GIFS/mjpopcorn.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/portmanteau_nail/media/GIFS/mjpopcorn.gif.html)

Slutter McGee
12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
LOL

"Decided not to press charges" - Do you deny that this was the obviously correct decision by the DA's office?

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Not all of them....just the ones in law enforcement.

I completely understand that these forums encourage open hatred of anyone that has a badge. And perhaps you can condemn the entire institution as a whole. I wont argue against that. But the hatred of the individual is what bothers me. This hatred is prevalent here. Every cop and prosecutor is a pig.

This is called collectivism asshole. I believe in liberty. I believe in individuals. I don't judge somebodies character in the liberal progressive commie manner that you do.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

otherone
12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
This is called collectivism asshole. I believe in liberty. I believe in individuals. I don't judge somebodies character in the liberal progressive commie manner that you do.

You might believe in liberty and individuals, but apparently not in dictionaries. Look up "collectivism".

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Every cop and prosecutor is a pig.

You're finally getting it. Congrats!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/audience.gif

Anti Federalist
12-29-2013, 07:07 PM
I completely understand that these forums encourage open hatred of anyone that has a badge. And perhaps you can condemn the entire institution as a whole. I wont argue against that. But the hatred of the individual is what bothers me. This hatred is prevalent here. Every cop and prosecutor is a pig.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

If an individual makes it a point to collectivize himself, to wear prominent markings of the collective to which he belongs, what am I to do then?

Gouge out my eyes so I do not see his "colors"?

If members of the San Antonio Spurs had the power to grenade your home, kill your dog, fuck your wife and beat your ass to a bloody pulp whenever they felt like, legally, wouldn't you be wary if you saw somebody approach wearing a Spur's uniform?

Would you not warn friends and family to avoid those uniformed sports gangsters at all costs?

I frankly don't give a rat's ass about their character at that point.

phill4paul
12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
If an individual makes it a point to collectivize himself, to wear prominent markings of the collective to which he belongs, what am I to do then?

Gouge out my eyes so I do not see his "colors"?

If members of the San Antonio Spurs had the power to grenade your home, kill your dog, fuck your wife and beat your ass to a bloody pulp whenever they felt like, legally, wouldn't you be wary if you saw somebody approach wearing a Spur's uniform?

Would you not warn friends and family to avoid those uniformed sports gangsters at all costs?

I frankly don't give a rat's ass about their character at that point.

Never enough rep.