PDA

View Full Version : 72-year-old woman arrested for 2008 seat belt ticket

Keith and stuff
12-26-2013, 06:49 PM
72-year-old East Moline woman arrested for 2008 seat belt ticket
Posted on: 10:21 pm, December 23, 2013, by Brittany Lewis
http://wqad.com/2013/12/23/72-year-old-east-moline-woman-arrested-for-2008-seat-belt-ticket/

What better way to spend the holiday season that having your sister have you arrested? You gotta love family! Maybe it's just an IL thing and I don't understand it since we don't have adult seat belt laws where I live.

I am surprised this woman was arrested. I thought in most states, standard protocol was to shoot people with unpaid seat belt tickets? I guess you learn something new everyday. Like, don't call the police. If you are concerned about a family member or friend, have another family member or friend do a wellness check.

The family of a 72-year-old woman is calling for change after she was arrested for a five-year-old seat belt ticket.

“They said, ‘You got a warrant.’ A warrant? A warrant for what?” said Carol Fulscher, the woman arrested.

“I never would’ve imagined in a million years that they would’ve arrested a 72-year-old woman,” said Jeanette Byrd, Carol’s daughter.

Fulscher, comfortably sitting on her couch at her home in East Moline, was sitting in a jail cell Saturday night, December 21, 2013.

“I was frightened to think that she was in a jail cell, with who knows who,” said Byrd.

According to the East Moline Police Department public arrest report, East Moline Police brought Fulscher to the Rock Island County Jail at 10:39 p.m. on December 21, 2013.

“I couldn’t imagine what she had been arrested for,” said Byrd.

Her charge was contempt of court. The reason for the charge was an unpaid seat belt ticket from 2008.

“What in the name of time? For a seat belt ticket?” said Fulscher.

Fulscher’s sister called East Moline Police when she couldn’t get a hold of her. She asked police to do a well being check. When the East Moline Police officers arrived at Fulscher’s home, they ran her ID and saw the warrant for the ticket. When Fulscher couldn’t pay the ticket, she says they brought her in.

“I don’t know that I was scared. A better word would be, I was worried,” said Fulscher.

“I was so angry, I was just angry at the procedure,” said Byrd.

Carol’s daughter is angry that her 72 year old mom who is diagnosed with numerous conditions including dementia was brought to jail.

“We need to not have this happen to another elderly person, because I’m sure there’s somebody else that has an unpaid parking ticket or something that needs to be taken care of, and they need to do that, but we need to not treat them the same as you would the common criminal,” said Byrd.

“What happens when someone’s issued a ticket, and what happened in this case, either she did not appear for the ticket in court or she did not pay the fine that goes along with it. So, when that happens, an arrest issue is made by the court, signed by the judge and that arrest warrant is an order by the judge,” said East Moline Police Chief Victor Moreno.

Standard procedure say police. Time for change say Fulscher’s family,

“That was plain humiliating,” she said.

Anti Federalist
12-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Fulscher’s sister called East Moline Police when she couldn’t get a hold of her. She asked police to do a well being check. When the East Moline Police officers arrived at Fulscher’s home, they ran her ID and saw the warrant for the ticket. When Fulscher couldn’t pay the ticket, she says they brought her in.

Police are not cuddly happy puppys.

Police arrest people and throw people in jail.

Do not call cops.

Call cops and, more and more, you can count on someone going to jail.

Even 72 year old grandmothers with unpaid seat belt tickets.

GunnyFreedom
12-26-2013, 07:01 PM
SMDH @ half the comments. This is why America is dying.

DamianTV
12-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Zero Tolerance for Mundane Disobedience

---

Comments on Article: Obedience does not mean you are a Good Person. Nor does Willful Ignorance.

Occam's Banana
12-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Bullies. Bagmen. Shake-down artists ...
Tell me again why cops are not just another gang of criminals.
Tell me again how Police and Mafioso are somehow different.
... I keep forgetting, for some reason.

Oh, wait. I remember, now. It's the uniforms & badges. That's it ...

Scrapmo
12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Having cops do wellness check is like asking cat-burglars to house sit.

kahless
12-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I am just happy our heroes in uniform are keeping us safe from 72 year old grand mothers not wearing seat belts. /s

SMDH @ half the comments. This is why America is dying.

I should have taken your warning. I really wish I had not read those comments. I hope some of it is multiple accounts from the same person. Depressing.

I know quite a few old folks that age that would have likely stroked out or had heart related symptoms if they were taken to jail for something like this even if it was only 90 minutes as one commenter posted. What a heartless bunch of commenters.

KCIndy
12-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Do not call cops.

Having an innocent, frail, elderly woman dragged off to jail is - sadly - about the best that could be hoped for in this situation.

These days, standard procedure would be to kick in her door, toss in a flash-bang, shoot her dog(s), taser grandma, then drag her quivering, bleeding body outside after giving her a solid beating.

Got to protect the public from these hardened criminals, y'know....

Occam's Banana
12-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Having an innocent, frail, elderly woman dragged off to jail is - sadly - about the best that could be hoped for in this situation.

These days, standard procedure would be to kick in her door, toss in a flash-bang, shoot her dog(s), taser grandma, then drag her quivering, bleeding body outside after giving her a solid beating.

Got to protect the public from these hardened criminals, y'know....

"Got to protect the public from these hardened criminals" should be "got to protect our brave police officers from these hardened criminals" ...

You were dead-spot on, tearing down the field like a battering ram. But oh, no! You dropped the ball on the one-yard line! :eek::p;)

DamianTV
12-26-2013, 07:26 PM
The Hardened Criminals are the ones with Jobs. They're called Cops. They've even got their own TV shows and Fictional Dramas!

Blind Faith in an Unaccountable Authority will lead to a final outcome that no man wants.

Scrapmo
12-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I am just happy our heroes in uniform are keeping us safe from 72 year old grand mothers not wearing seat belts. /s

I should have taken your warning. I really wish I had not read those comments. I hope some of it is multiple accounts from the same person. Depressing.

I know quite a few old folks that age that would have likely stroked out or had heart related symptoms if they were taken to jail for something like this even if it was only 90 minutes as one commenter posted. What a heartless bunch of commenters.

It's for this reason I have little to no hope for amerika. And they say I'm too pessimistic...

DamianTV
12-26-2013, 07:34 PM
It's for this reason I have little to no hope for amerika. And they say I'm too pessimistic...

People believe what they are taught to believe. If Libertarians ran the Schools, people in general would express what we told them to believe. Then again, Libertarians would probably support Homeschooling as much as possible.

Not pessimistic, realistic. It is the world itself that is the source of negativity and ignorance, not your perspective.

(thats supposed to be a compliment)

enhanced_deficit
12-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Highly doublt if anything like this could ever happen even in Afghanistan, they will bring justice to the responsible party who tried such a freedom move as arrest their sister/mom/grandma for not paying a traffic ticket. But we are the civilized nation and they are not.

DamianTV
12-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Highly doublt if anything like this could ever happen even in Afghanistan, they will bring justice to the responsible party who tried such a freedom move as arrest their sister/mom/grandma for not paying a traffic ticket. But we are the civilized nation and they are not.

Isnt it funny how the ones who have the biggest and most dangerous weapons and use them most frequently claim to be the "Civilized" ones?

enhanced_deficit
12-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Isnt it funny how the ones who have the biggest and most dangerous weapons and use them most frequently claim to be the "Civilized" ones?

Yes, with state monopoly on bigger guns rights though.

In Afghanistan, both citizens and state machinery have had about similar gun power historically.

aGameOfThrones
12-26-2013, 08:25 PM
insert "Good Cops?" thread

Keith and stuff
12-26-2013, 08:45 PM
insert "Good Cops?" thread

I definitely don't believe all police have a mission to ruin the holidays for as many people as possible. She, the police did decide that the right thing to do was to throw this disabled woman in jail during the holidays over a few dollars. And sure I did see a police officer pull someone over on Christmas Day, but remember, he was just doing his job.

kahless
12-26-2013, 09:38 PM
People never learn from history like this little gem in comments.

WQAD should be ashamed to air this. Sensationalism at it’s finest. The men and women of law enforcement have taken an oath to uphold the law. A “Judge” made this happen. Not an officer and not the officer’s boss. Officers hae NO discretion with a warrant from the Court. If you don’t like it, change the law…but don’t blame those officers who are sworn to support the law.

Sheriff

Just following orders. Nothing to see here.

aGameOfThrones
12-27-2013, 12:14 AM
WQAD should be ashamed to air this. Sensationalism at it’s finest. The men and women of law enforcement have taken an oath to uphold the law. A “Judge” made this happen. Not an officer and not the officer’s boss. Officers hae NO discretion with a warrant from the Court. If you don’t like it, change the law…but don’t blame those officers who are sworn to support the law.

Sheriff

But why was her ID checked? What RS did the cop with no discretion had? And BTW, the judge is part of your crew, asshole. What kind of a piece of shit who is doing a motherfucking "well being check" tries to fuck the old lady's well being by taking her to jail?

Anti Federalist
12-27-2013, 12:36 AM
What a heartless bunch of commenters.

Boobus is craven, weak and stupid.

But Boobus is also bloodthirsty.

A very dangerous combination.

Mani
12-27-2013, 02:06 AM
How do people respond when you tell them, "Just following orders" is the Nuremberg Defense, the same defense the Nazi's used saying they were, "Just following orders."

Do they get how stupid it sounds to say, "The Police are helpless...They are just following orders", Do they realize how lame it sounds?

A Sheriff is complaining that the article is a "HIT PIECE" because the cops are "Just following orders." Seriously??? The Sheriff is posting that shit!?

DamianTV
12-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Obedience is to be released from the Responsibility of ones own actions.

People cry out about the loss of Freedom, not the loss of Responsibility. If you cant take your Freedom back, try taking some Responsibility back, and we will find that is the means by which we've lost our freedoms. Take the responsibility of deciding for yourself whether or not your child is going to be vaccinated. Try pulling your kid out of the Public Indoctrination System in favor of Homeschooling. Or better yet, drive, by yourself, with No Seatbelt. The jackboots will stomp your face into the pavement just as quick whether you try to take Responsibility or Freedom for yourself, and you'll soon find the only Freedom you have is the Freedom to choose between Obedience and a nice refreshing concrete skin exfoliation.

phill4paul
12-27-2013, 07:10 AM
When Fulscher couldn’t pay the ticket, she says they brought her in.

Local courts reviving 'debtors' prison' for overdue fines, fees

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/26/local-courts-reviving-debtors-prison-for-overdue-fines-fees/

Occam's Banana
12-27-2013, 07:15 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/12/26/local-courts-reviving-debtors-prison-for-overdue-fines-fees/

h/t LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/12/no_author/the-return-of-debtors-prison/

Daily Mail: Comeback of debtors' prisons: U.S. courts revive Dickensian practice of jailing people for failing to pay legal fees (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529281/Comeback-debtors-prisons-U-S-courts-revive-Dickensian-practice-jailing-people-failing-pay-legal-fees.html)

Philhelm
12-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Some of the commenters within the article lick the boots of their masters so well that I'd like to know what else they can do with their mouths.

HOLLYWOOD
12-27-2013, 07:34 AM
One has to wonder why anyone would tolerate government that enriches themselves through a multitude of policies and laws, and has stuck the taxpayers with massive debt at all levels of racketeering government. This 'debtors prisons' only makes sense to the biggest liars and hypocrites in the country, government. Of course, the government doesn't tell the taxpayers the costs of their tyrannical propaganda debtors schemes.

h/t LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/12/no_author/the-return-of-debtors-prison/

Daily Mail: Comeback of debtors' prisons: U.S. courts revive Dickensian practice of jailing people for failing to pay legal fees (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529281/Comeback-debtors-prisons-U-S-courts-revive-Dickensian-practice-jailing-people-failing-pay-legal-fees.html)

kahless
12-27-2013, 10:29 AM
One has to wonder why anyone would tolerate government that enriches themselves through a multitude of policies and laws, and has stuck the taxpayers with massive debt at all levels of racketeering government. This 'debtors prisons' only makes sense to the biggest liars and hypocrites in the country, government. Of course, the government doesn't tell the taxpayers the costs of their tyrannical propaganda debtors schemes.

No surprise when you have 60% of the population either works for government or is dependent on government. They will defend these actions to ensure their job exists, that they get paid well, receive OT, pensions, benefits, welfare etc. I saw an estimate where by 2018 this number could be as high as 68%.

The public school indoctrination centers and state media then play a role in bringing the remaining amount on board.

brushfire
12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Its for her own safety.

SeanTX
12-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Do not call cops.

Call cops and, more and more, you can count on someone going to jail.

Even 72 year old grandmothers with unpaid seat belt tickets.

THIS. Pretty sad that even if you call them for their "help" after being victimized by a real criminal, their FIRST priority will be to run your name (and others in the household) looking for outstanding warrants, looking for a reason to arrest the crime victim(s) seeking their "help."

And if there are no warrants, they can still play other little games, like if they don't like your attitude and you have been drinking they can ask you to step outside so that you can be arrested for "public intoxication" .. etc.

Anti Federalist
12-27-2013, 12:09 PM
THIS. Pretty sad that even if you call them for their "help" after being victimized by a real criminal, their FIRST priority will be to run your name (and others in the household) looking for outstanding warrants, looking for a reason to arrest the crime victim(s) seeking their "help."

And if there are no warrants, they can still play other little games, like if they don't like your attitude and you have been drinking they can ask you to step outside so that you can be arrested for "public intoxication" .. etc.

Yup.

If you can get away with it, do not call cops even if you are a crime victim.

If you must report it, go to the station, avoid at all costs having a cop come into your home.

SeanTX
12-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Yup.

If you can get away with it, do not call cops even if you are a crime victim.

If you must report it, go to the station, avoid at all costs having a cop come into your home.

Yes, i remember a local case from a couple of years ago, a couple's house had been burglarized and they invited the cops to come in and take a look. While the cops were looking around they found a few pot plants, and the couple was arrested for that. And the sad thing is, they were probably intentionally looking around with the primary intent of finding something the crime victim's could be charged for.

Unfortunately though, if you want to file an insurance claim you have to have a police report confirming a forced entry. And there's a slight chance you might get some valuables recovered if you have the serial numbers.

But other than that, no reason to call the police, it's not like they will go out of their way to look for the burglars anyway (even if you had video evidence, etc). You have to keep in mind that their main priority upon arrival will be to find a reason to jack YOU up .