PDA

View Full Version : Cop shoves 89 yr. old man, breaking hip, for telling him to "Calm down."

phill4paul
12-26-2013, 07:05 AM
I can't believe how badly the police force is treating this valiant 31 year vet of the War-on-Us.

Prosecutors: Chicago Cop Shoved Elderly Gas Station Customer

– A veteran Chicago Police officer is accused of shoving an elderly gas station customer in Oak Lawn, leaving the 89-year-old man with a broken hip, Cook County prosecutors said Saturday, the Sun-Times is reporting.

David Barrett allegedly became upset on Dec. 12 when a pump began malfunctioning at a Shell gas station, near 105th Street and Cicero, and went inside to complain.

The victim, who was in line in front of the 58-year-old Barrett, asked him to calm down, prosecutors said. Barrett reacted by pushing the senior citizen in the chest with his hands, causing him to fall, prosecutors said.

The elderly man broke his right hip from the fall and required surgery, prosecutors said. He also tore his right rotator cuff as a result of the tumble.

Barrett’s attorney Stuart Goldberg told Cook County Judge James Brown that his client has been a Chicago Police officer for 31 years. Barrett also served in the Illinois National Guard for six years, Goldberg said.

The defense attorney said the arrest was overblown: “This case is not about a battery. It is about how Oak lawn police treat a Chicago police officer.”

Barrett is currently assigned to the First Deputy Superintendent’s Office.
Brown ordered Barrett held in lieu of $10,000 bail for two counts of aggravated battery.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/12/21/prosecutors-chicago-cop-shoved-elderly-gas-station-customer/

satchelmcqueen
12-26-2013, 09:03 AM
pussy cop. did he get his feelings hurt and have to assault an old man? yes!

phill4paul
12-26-2013, 09:22 AM
pussy cop. did he get his feelings hurt and have to assault an old man? yes!

The proper mundane response should have been to step away from the counter, doff hat, genuflect and eyes to floor exclaim "M'lord, by your leave."

Occam's Banana
12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Eighty-nine years is more than enough time to have learned to appreciate heroic men like Barrett.
What an ungrateful wretch! Old-dude better not have the nerve to complain about what happened ...

The mayor said the situation should remind people of the dangerous work police do.

“We take what our officers do for granted,” Jensen said. “We get angry at our officers when they pull us over because they are a little gruff, or they aren’t really pleasant. Folks need to realize that they put themselves at danger.

“They don’t know what a routine traffic stop is going to do. So don’t call me and complain about an officer not being very pleasant.”

Anti Federalist
12-26-2013, 10:56 AM
The defense attorney said the arrest was overblown: “This case is not about a battery. It is about how Oak lawn police treat a Chicago police officer.”

Wow...just wow...

Sometimes even I'm stunned.

So this asshole cop's lawyer is pissed that his client got arrested for punching out an 89 year old man and breaking his hip?

If it had been one of us Mundanes...

Anti Federalist
12-26-2013, 10:59 AM
The proper mundane response should have been to step away from the counter, doff hat, genuflect and eyes to floor exclaim "M'lord, by your leave."

Eighty-nine years is more than enough time to have learned to appreciate heroic men like Barrett.
What an ungrateful wretch! Old-dude better not have the nerve to complain about what happened ...

Yup...old dude is behind the curve on how things work here in the New AmeriKa.

Anything short of instant, complete and total compliance with one of the state's enforcers, in uniform or not, will result in infliction of violence, in this case, potentially life threatening violence.

SeanTX
12-26-2013, 11:36 AM
And some people say it's the older cops who are the "good ones." At least he has plenty of time in so he can just retire and make it all go away ...

youngbuck
12-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Roid rage? Or just typical pig attitude?

kahless
12-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Considering the age of the victim you would think they would not use the same playbook.

DamianTV
12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Considering the age of the victim you would think they would not use the same playbook.

The two playbooks they use apply to the Mundanes and the Enforcers quite differently. For example, Cops are prohibited by "their Laws" from arresting any of their Superiors for ANY Infraction, no matter how serious. For the Mundanes, farting in the presence of a Cop is grounds for Execution.

Cissy
12-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Poor old man. His assailant's salary should be docked so that he pays the fellow's medical bills, etc.

Alas, it won't be.

Anti Federalist
10-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Got three years in prison.

Wonder what would have happened had been "on duty"?

Man Asks Cop To Stop Cursing in Public, Cop Breaks Man’s Hip

By John Vibes on October 24, 2014

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-asks-cop-stop-cursing/#mQD6ur8EiWJzACr8.99

Last week, former Chicago police officer David Barrett was sentenced to three years in prison for breaking an 89-year-old man’s hip.

According to the victim, Barrett became violent with him because he asked him to stop using profanity during a dispute at a gas station. Barrett was off-duty at the time of the attack.

The officer allegedly had problems with a gasoline pump and went inside the convenience store so he could complain.

When Barrett got inside to the store, there was a long line, so he began to get irritated and started yelling at the store clerk. The victim, one of the people in the line, asked the officer to please watch his language and stop shouting.

Barrett responded by throwing the man to the floor, and then shouted obscenities at him and the other customers before leaving. Next, a witness followed Barrett and took down his license plate number, then called local police to report the crime.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the victim’s right hip was broken, as well as his right rotator cuff. He also suffered from torn muscles and tendons in his shoulder. The senior citizen ended up needed surgery and spent an extended stay in a rehabilitation center.

Shortly after, the 59-year-old officer was charged with aggravated battery, he was then convicted in May and sentenced to three years in prison this past Thursday. Barrett was Chicago Police officer for 31 years and was a member of the Illinois National Guard for six years.

This begs the question, had Barrett been on-duty that fateful day, would he have faced the same consequences?

jllundqu
10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Answer to that last question: NO

The standard, "No comment on an internal investigation, officer is on paid administrative leave." Blah blah blah

Nirvikalpa
10-24-2014, 12:24 PM
He essentially sentenced him to death. The elderly do not respond well to broken hips... the second you put your hands on a senior citizen you need to understand that.

Not good.

Philhelm
10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
89? Jesus Christ...

Lucille
10-24-2014, 12:43 PM
He essentially sentenced him to death. The elderly do not respond well to broken hips... the second you put your hands on a senior citizen you need to understand that.

Not good.

Yeah, my grandma was never the same after her hip replacement, nether physically or mentally. Deep anesthesia takes its toll on some oldsters.

Did the family sue that rageaholic pig?

SeanTX
10-24-2014, 01:16 PM
At least he (most likely) will still enjoy receiving a $1 million plus pension -- he just has to make it through that few months stay in "protective custody" first ...

jbauer
10-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Who the F hits a 89 yr old guy? Why? just why?

Inkblots
10-24-2014, 01:48 PM

Not good.

My thought as well. There's not much difference between breaking your hip and breaking your neck at that age... that poor old man is going to die soon.

youngbuck
10-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Not good.
This. The life expectancy of an elderly person drops dramatically following a broken hip. 25% die within 1 year. 40% require extended nursing home placement. If they do survive, no matter where they end up, their quality of life is greatly reduced. I hope that pig gets what he deserves in prison...

Inkblots
10-24-2014, 01:51 PM
At least he (most likely) will still enjoy receiving a $1 million plus pension -- he just has to make it through that few months stay in "protective custody" first ...

I abhor violence and I don't want to seem un-Christian... but I find myself hoping that man gets the full "cop amongst the prison general population" experience. Especially since, if that quote from the lawyer is anything to go by, the fiend isn't even sorry for what he did.

acptulsa
10-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Damned straight. They treated a common, inhuman thug like a common, inhuman thug.

Next thing you know the common, inhuman thugs of the CPD will be afraid to leave their jurisdiction.

At least I hope so...

Carson
10-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Uppity slaves?

I can across a couple of stories today that made uppity slaves come to mind.

I remember some friends of mine that were working in a nursing home would say it always seemed like the people would always die in groups of three.

I think it was that after a broken hip your life expectancy was an average of four years. No one wants to get that clock started.

nobody's_hero
10-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Could be worse. The old man might have had a dog. So he would have had to watch his dog be shot while he's lying on the concrete with a broken hip.

heavenlyboy34
10-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Who the F hits a 89 yr old guy? Why? just why?
pussies/bullies (not much difference between the 2)

GunnyFreedom
10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Wow...just wow...

Sometimes even I'm stunned.

So this asshole cop's lawyer is pissed that his client got arrested for punching out an 89 year old man and breaking his hip?

If it had been one of us Mundanes...

It makes me want to punch the lawyer in the face, but you know as well as I do that there will always be some Betty Sue 'Thank You Police" in the jury, gasping at the horrors a policeman has to face every day...